Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dmikulich_gw

Newly Acquired Thirtysomething Jade Plant needs help!

dmikulich
10 years ago

We've had this plant for less than a week. Right off the bat I noticed a few ants coming out of the pot.

After a few days of setting up ant baits outside of the pot at the base, I noticed even more ants.

Last night my husband and I took it out of the pot. Hundreds of ants lurked in the soil present beneath the root ball. We removed as much of the ant infested soil as possible.

Also in the soil, we found an earthworm (!) and several roly-polys. The current soil did not seem jade appropriate to me. Besides the bugs, it was wet and I hadn't watered it at all. We removed about 6-8" of soil from the bottom and about 3" from the sides, but the root ball was pretty tight. I replaced the soil with a 50/50 mix of Cactus/Succulent soil and Perlite.

From what I've read the ants are likely there feeding off of some other pest on the plant. We took the jade outside for repotting and I've decided to leave it there until we figure out this pest problem. We dumped a large amount of ladybugs on it last night in hopes that it would eat any pests.

My plan is to permanently host the jade in my sunroom, but I don't want to bring it in until we see it is free of pests.

The jade is in semi-shade outside, should I put it in direct sun so soon after a new home, repot, pruning? It was in full sun before coming to me.

Am I doing this right? I'm worried for this beautiful plant.

Comments (15)

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    10 years ago

When we see a picture, we'll be able to help you more, but you're doing fine. If the soil is suspect, I'd wash all of it off of the root ball, if you can, and keep it in the semi-shade until it's repotted and you acclimate it to full sun again (it grows best there but is very forgiving of less-than-ideal conditions.

I'd also check the leaves for mealy bugs and the like (which ants farm).

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

Cactusmcharris, I know I'm not one of your favorites on the forum :o(...but I just wanted you to know that you really DO give very good advise. So many of them I have used myself and wanted to say Thanks so much for taking the time to help us...

10 years ago

pug,

That may be true (but I think only because we've not interacted out of school), but you're certainly not a disfavourite of mine - you're too nice for that. And you're welcome.

This post was edited by cactusmcharris on Thu, May 16, 13 at 12:54

• dmikulich
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I didn't see any mealy bug or scale. The only suspicious thing we found was this reddish thing (see picture). I posted on the pest forum for identification and the only thing someone said was that it could be an egg of some sort.

We already repotted last night, any thoughts how long before I should put back in full sun?

10 years ago

Ten days or so, giving it more sun every few days until full is achieved. Yes, I'd say it wasn't anything to worry about, as long as it doesn't proliferate. You did repot it in porous soil, right? And wait a few days before watering it (this allows broken roots to heal over).

• dmikulich
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks so much for all your support!

Yes, I did repot in a 50/50 mix of cactus/succulent premix and perlite which is what I read was good from other threads in this forum.

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

"you're certainly not a disfavourite of mine - you're too nice for that. And you're welcome. "

Thanks!! I'm totally okay with "not a disfavourite of mine"...hopefully, we can change that to tip the scale for the better side :o)

Good Luck dmikulich! You're getting some great advise...I'm sure your Jade will be fine soon.

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

Sounds like you've got things under control...in line for bringing your plant in the house (I don't have mine in the house). It has been my experience that if you have regular soil/dirt, it will attract ants, worms & rollypolys to make their homes. Yes, ants like to farm pests (which you may or may not have). As for your little red dot...I believe that is a weed seed, coming off a plant that pops & spits these when touched/disturbed. I had a bunch of these in my grass & would find them on me, the dogs, the plants after having done some gardening. Not to worry-just pull out the weed (if others seeded) if it grows!

Good advice from Jeff for acclimating your plant.

• dmikulich
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks so much everyone! I much prefer it be a weed seed. :) Hope that's it!

The ladybugs have already moved on to other plants, so maybe no pests after all. I'm also not noticing any ants. I'll post a photo this evening.

• dmikulich
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Finally a picture!

The ants were still there a few days ago, so we put in these Raid Ant Spikes: http://amzn.com/B000WSVKPY

They seem relatively harmless to the plant. Hopefully this will be the end of them.

The plant is getting acclimated to full sun now outside. Now I'm trying to figure out how I should be pruning this one. I'd love some suggestions. I can't decide if I should cut back the new growth on the bottom or leave it alone.

Here is a link that might be useful: Raid Ant Spikes

• americangolden
    10 years ago

Amazing looking Jade plant dmikulich! If you wanted to prune it, I think everything around the base would look good to remove, and keep everything above there. Either way wonderful looking plant. Thanks for sharing a picture.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

A stately looking Jade.
    Great trunk on your specimen.

Josh

• petrushka (7b)
    10 years ago

great looking plant!
    i'd also remove small branches around the base. or may be leave just one: the one on the left of the thick trunk. not sure if it's sprouting from the main trunk or base.
    I had ants in indoor plants - proly migrated from new 'nursery purchase'. couldn't get rid of them until I put indoor systemic on all plants in the room. they were beginning to crawl around towards the kitchen - had to prevent any bigger problems in the future.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    10 years ago

I love the tall stately look of it. I might do some cleaning up around one side of the base and some minor branches through the structure, adn minor topping. I really like the height. That said, I am talking out the side of my mouth and I really do not know jades.

10 years ago

Get rid totally of the bottom feeders, totally. That's such a nicely sculptured and grown plant, and a little renovation of it will make it an OohandAhh plant.

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations