Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
purpleinopp

Baking in the sun... too much? Sux shelter?

I'm not sure there are benefits to full, all-day sun for any potted plants. I've been wrestling with this for the past few years because the roots just get so hot and then not seeing any benefit in pace of growth, or increased colors or blooms.

At this latitude, there's about 15 hours of brutally hot sun during the longest days, way more than any plant 'needs,' though many can handle it in a natural setting. Eliminating the rays between around 11-3 means there's still about 12 hours of sun during the longest days. As the days get shorter, the angle changes, so rays start to creep more and more under covers.

When pots get so hot, they can bake completely dry, weightless in plastic pots, every day, so then need a drink often, not at all close to replicating natural conditions. This cycle seems to be unnecessarily harsh, think my results could be better without such extreme daily baking and overall extreme of winters in a cold, dark house, then totally baking for 8-9 months.

I've got an idea to build a shelter house thing for plants, like a mini pole barn that's long and skinny, with the long part going north/south. It would let the sun shine in, morning and evening, but block the sun during the middle of the day. Make a platform of cinder blocks, (or material of choice, using these as example since everybody knows what size they are,) probably 2-high, with a 3rd row around the top as a railing, then put a roof over it that's tall enough to lean under without bumping heads on it. Should be about the right height to let in at least 10 hours of sun per day. Then plant creeping Sedums and the like in the holes, sit pots in the middle, where they can't blow over, get deluged by rain, or baked during the hottest part of the day. And - BONUS, that much less grass to mow, right?

What are your thoughts, experiences about baking in too much sun? Sux shelters? Have you built something? Let's see those sux shelters, please!

Comments (6)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH