Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Top-Heavy Jade with scarce roots

Posted by Adorablurr Toronto (My Page) on
Sun, May 4, 14 at 11:09

I was given this jade as a cutting from another plant, and so far it has been growing taller (or longer, as you see in the photo) rather than branching out or forming roots to anchor it. Now the top is so heavy that it keeps jumping out of the pot when lightly touched.

Should I be plucking its upper leaves or giving it some plant food to encourage root growth? I'm worried that if I cut some of the upper leaves it will become quite the ugly beast of a plant.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Top-Heavy Jade with scarce roots

Well, it looks to be a small-leaf Jade variety...and they have a tendency to go long, then droop. How much sun does it receive? It has good color, but the small-leaf varieties are also known for coloring well even in dim conditions.

One option would be to prune it, more or less, in half. Pot the short root-end, and let it develop.....and then root the top half into its own plant. I'd also recommend a mix with more coarse material - perlite, pumice, turface, DE, other grit.

Josh

o

Josh, it is indeed a small-leaf jade. I have it near a south-facing window and gets 3-4 hours of bright sunlight - which is the best I can do, I'm afraid. I'm a bit worried if I prune it, the same thing will happen again... although I'm not sure what else I can do at this point.

o

Prune it, and then keep pruning :-)
That's the key....each time it makes a few pairs (2 - 3) of leaves, pinch off the tips to keep it branching regularly.

Josh

o

Do you mean that it'll create two to three branches from where I prune it? What do you mean by pinch off the tips? (Do I take off the top few leaves?)

Thanks a bunch!

o

Yes. You literally pinch off the tip.
As a general rule, a healthy Jade will produce two stems/branches wherever pruned.

Josh

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here