Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lucky Whack (not a Jade trim story)

Posted by wantonamara 8bTx (My Page) on
Sun, May 25, 14 at 11:42

DO NOT plant a bunching cactus in a recurved pot. I heard that and did it anyway. It has been in this pot for years and the dirt is all played out. Even fertilizer could not get their baby to bloom. It usually is covered in blooms. . I have been putting off whacking this pot for a long time. It was not a garage sale find. $, not huge $$$ but still $. I am making a cactus garden It is to be planted in it since it grows in areas colder than here. I have never brought it in.

I decided I could use the fragments like a mosaic mulch around it but I had a one thud of a lucky wack and it broke in two pieces and it is highly repairable with some marine epoxy.

Third picture is the beginnings of the Cactus garden. My trailer still has no working lights so I am bringing my dirt home in 10Gallon pots. So it is slow going and hard on my tiny hatchback and my old back. I have the hardest time making up my mind and not planting things too close together. I just found out my Cylindropuntia whipplei 'Snow Leopard' will get 6' across and 3' high. Things are just hard to visualize and it all looks empty. I think I will be planting some things and then digging them out later. I am already removing things I just planted.

Needs whacking

Lucky whack

Its a mes

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lucky Whack (not a Jade trim story)

Right on! Good whack!
I really like the look of cracked pots and plants spilling from them in the yardscape. Sunken treasures :-)

Josh

o

That's a very Zen hammer hit if I ever did see one, Mara. And a handsome boy in the first pic, too. I was advising kaktusChristopher against a recurved position just the other day, so your posting is most timely. I can't tell you the number of times I've moved plants, but it's been a few - garden planning isn't my forte, but I do well with lines of lilacs on the hill.

This post was edited by cactusmcharris on Sun, May 25, 14 at 16:59

o

Awww what a beautiful kittie!!!

And Cactus!! :-D

o

Now the question is, if I glued it with epoxy and planted it with overhanging cactus and in 4 years I had to whack it again, do you think It would whack in the same spot? LOL.

Alex (pronounced (AAAAAAA-lex) is the 16 yr. old cat that refuses to age. never wash them, no fleas. I think my dried caliche that he rolls in is a magic flea powder. The fountain of youth.

o

I did FIX my pot and I am humored by the glue up. It has a certain character to it, if I must say so myself.
Broken pot glue up

o

Kind of funny that it got glued back to recurved

if at first you suceed try try again ?

o

I will put annuals and different plants in not that CAN be dug out, Like maybe Chives or a perennial arugala. IT is hard to glue it back different. Funny how the pieces just make the same shape.

o

• Posted by bob61 8a shreveport (My Page) on
    Tue, Jun 24, 14 at 6:12

I'v resorted to the hammer a few times myself. It's kind of fun smashing something. Almost as much fun as putting it back together. Good job. You didn't mention the name of the Cactus. Would be good to know the name of a good hardy one.

Bob

o

It is Echinocerius triglochidiatus AKA Claret Cup cactus. Extremely hardy as far as I am concerned sitting in Texas.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here