Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hayliebee

Please help? Aloe Vera dying

HaylieBee
9 years ago

I have the worst black thumbs ever...

I just transplanted my plants yesterday for the second time in one month due to draining issues the first time.. I tried to get some of the brown roots off the bottom, but almost all of them were brown and I was scared I would do more harm than good.

I don't know what to do or if I should do nothing. My aloe vera looks terrible.

The uploaded picture was taken today.

Here is the last month's list of events that got me to this point if you need background:

My aloe vera plant had a baby last summer, so at the beginning of spring this year I decided I would try and split them

Got them separated and put them outside sine they were in the house all winter.

We get a massive rain for hours the next day while I am at work (I figured it would be alright because I got fast draining soil). Then the temperature drops to low 50s at night, 49 one night.

They get really sick looking so I brought them inside and I realize the soil just isn't drying (thanks to Louisiana humidity)

They kept getting worse looking, even being inside the house with dehumidifies and I was sure they weren't going to survive in that type of soil and the pots I choose. I think they have really bad root rot.

So it's been about a month since I transplanting them, and I did it again last night. This time with a layer of rocks of the bottom, perlite mixed into the fast draining soil and clay pots instead of wooden ones

This post was edited by HaylieBee on Sat, May 10, 14 at 16:17

Comments (3)