Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hijole

Dudleya and gollum

hijole
9 years ago

Another sign that spring is here, I just love the way these two make a great couple together, as a matter of fact, I just made it my new screen saver :) Enjoy your weekend.

Greg

Comments (17)

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    9 years ago

Tasty yellows and reds on that 'Gollum,' Greg!

Josh

• hijole
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Josh, now that's one thing I haven't tried, I'm already hooked Lol. Have a great weekend bro.

Greg

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    9 years ago

G,

That's a Dud? Looks like a Cotyledon to me, but we had frozen precipitation this month and I could be snowblinded.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    9 years ago

Hehehe, Greg, they don't taste very good....but certainly a feast for the eyes :-)

Josh

• hijole
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Jeff, dudleya hassei . Isn't it? I have been wrong before so I'm willing to say, your right! Lol.. I haven't chewed on any yet but thanks for the heads up.

Another picture of the Dud.

Greg

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    9 years ago

Definitely down with the Cot, Greg - I want to say 'oooooophyllllllaaaaa' but I'm pretty sure that's misspelled, as well as being wrong. It's a great plant that doesn't need much to be fruitful and multiply, almost overnight sometimes.

• hijole
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Jeff, I think you might be joking But, I googled, dudleya hassei and waalah!... The plant I posted, I usually don't debate but I believe I'm right so I'm pushing for the Dud or is it Dude? ;)

Greg

• KittieKAT
    9 years ago

looks like whatever it is ... is snacking on lemon head's and friends in the last pic heehee! summers here when your plants are sneaking candy!!

• kathi_mdgd
    9 years ago

Greg,
    Both of those pictures are fabulous.Wish I could still garden in the ground..But being able to plant at all is a bonus,so i'll take what I can get,pots,raised beds etc.thanks for sharing.
    Kathi

PS I posted some more pics today.

• denniso_z9_so_cal
    9 years ago

I have to vote for Cotyledon. I have a plant named Cotyledon Mr. Butterfield and It sure looks like your plant. When they flower you'll know for sure, the two have totally different flower types.

• hijole
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Mr. Jeff Harris, With all due respect sir I would like to approach the bench with some new evidence that I came up with. The dudleya hassei plant I posted matches the discription of the above mentioned type, it's flowers are white & grows about 6" high and the Coytyledon which has a orange pinkish flower is the Coytyledon. I also have that type and it grows a little different and higher also a little over 1' high and VERY simular as far as the look but an orange pinkish colored bloom. I'll post a picture of the Coytyledon hopefully by tomorow.

No further comments sir :) But I must add I really appreciate all your help on this garden web site and today I am really excited to even think that I could actually be right.

Both plants have the same type of leafs and resemble each other very much.

Josh, I would have never started nibbling on one of those gollum's no matter how hungry I was. but thanks for looking out.

Greg

• hijole
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is a picture of the Coytyledon it has the orange pinkish blooms while the dudleya hassei have a white bloom.

No further comments. Lol :) just having a great time yawl no harm intended, thanks Jeff :)

Greg

• hijole
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Another picture of exhibit A. Cotyledon with his orange pinkish blooms.

Greg

• hijole
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Exhibit B. Dudleya hassei when in bloom has white flowers.

Greg

• hijole
    Original Author
    9 years ago

There is peace in my garden.

Greg

• woodnative
    9 years ago

Nice plants but I also like that pic of a white "dove" and peace in the garden. The coo of doves/ pigeons IS very peaceful in the garden!!!! A pair of frillbacks....

• hijole
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Woodnative, Yes very tranquil indeed and the coos early in the morning with a nice hot cup of Starbucks is so relaxing.

Hope you all are enjoying your gardens, that's why we have them right?

Greg