Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Transplanting an Agave

Posted by desertbreeze 10 (My Page) on
Thu, May 7, 09 at 12:09

I planted a baby Blue Agave by the front door. Huge mistake! It grew big, and reaches out and grabs you and sometimes slices your leg. I want it to bloom, and I think it's too shady there. It's about 4 years old, and I'd like to transplant it where there is less traffic and more sun.

How hard are they to transplant? It has some pups, also.

When it blooms, I'm looking forward to getting some of that yummy agave nectar.

Thanks!
Suzi

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Transplanting an Agave

I've had to move many. They do get huge and can be very dangerous. You can snip off the points too. The pups you just dig out and replant. I've never done a big one, but they are pretty resilient and I expect you just wear armour and dig as much of the root out as you can. They don't go very deep.

o

I hope you are patient, because depending on the species (there are a lot of 'blue' agaves), it may take ten to twenty-five years or more to bloom. Agaves only bloom once, then die.

A plant only fours years old should be easy move. Wear gloves and eye protection.

o

Easy as pie. Sounds like yours is fairly small still. Roots aren't deep and it doesn't care if you are brutal with it. Put it in its new spot and then don't water for 5 days. Then water. 6 x 6 is the eventual size more or less so plan accordingly. Putting one by the door as you discovered is not so sharp of an idea unless you are a masochist. Good luck.

o

Thanks for all your great advice! I'll definitely clip off those tips before transplanting. 6 x 6 is huge! Now I have no clue where to put it! I had no idea they got that big!!

o

I put white packing peanuts on the tips, it protects me, and warns others that it is there. Give it plenty of room. they only offset when very youg it may not offset again. Repot the babies for insurance. When yours show signs of growth then it is alive and you can give the insurance away. Norma

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here