Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nmd15

My succulent needs help!

nmd15
9 years ago

I posted a while back on my succulent and was advised I was not giving him enough sunlight! (I am guilty of babying my plant, I kept it inside thinking I was protecting him from the hot sun :\) It started off as dark purple when I first got it years ago and then turned a light green and it's leaves turned down ( since I wasn't giving him much sun). I gradually increased its sunlight and now he's turning purple again, but I noticed he keeps losing his bottom leaves and his leaves are now soft to touch (they used to be stiff before increasing his sunlight). I am not sure what I'm doing wrong, I don't think I'm over watering him, I water it once a week or usually I'll wait even longer to water it. I'm a newbie when it comes to plants, but I really want to get it back to his healthy self again!

Also I noticed it has little plants growing off the bottom. Should I keep them on or cut them off? I was thinking maybe the offspring are taking too much energy from the main plant, not sure?

This post was edited by nmd15 on Sat, May 3, 14 at 12:53

Comments (7)

• nmd15
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is what he looked like originally

• nmd15
    Original Author
    9 years ago

And then this is what he looked like a few weeks back when I was advised to increase the sunlight gradually

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

That's an Aeonium. The "stick" that's forming is normal. They look like pinwheels over time. It looks fine to me, honestly. The purple color is normal for yours. Without enough sunlight, it will turn green again.

I'd leave the offsets on, but that's personal prefernce really.

Your potting mix could be a bit faster draining, IMO. What are you using btw?

Just a side note. Your orchid doesn't like direct sun and can burn. Phal orchids are considered "lower light" orchids.

Planto

This post was edited by plantomaniac08 on Sat, May 3, 14 at 12:59

• nmd15
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Okay thanks for the advice! Good to know I am on the right track with my aeonium! Oh, I was advised to increase the light for my orchid too since its leaves were dark green. I usually just let it get a very short period of time in the sun and then take him out, but you are right I need to find a better place my orchid!. I have a hard time finding a place for my plants, I live in an apartment and only have a few terribly lit windows and then my deck gets full sun..its a battle, I am constantly moving my plants around from window to window to balcony and back inside!

For the potting mix of the aeonium I am just using a miracle grow mix for cactus and succulents, it says it has a mixture of Sphagnum peat moss, composted forest products, sand and perlite. I also added small rocks at the bottom of the pot, I read somewhere that helps with drainage. I also make sure that I let all of the water drain out before letting it sit in the base plate.

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

If I'm wrong about your plant, someone will let us know (hehe).

I have read that lighter green than darker is a good indication of enough light for your Phal, but oudoors the light is more intense than indoors and can burn plants easier. I'd say an East window indoors would be fine. No afternoon sun (that eliminates west and south windows).

I also use MG C&S soil, but I have amended it with extra perlite. It's not fast enough draining on it's own. I rinse perlite and mix about half soil and half perlite. They say that the extra rocks on the bottom don't actually add to drainage (it's a myth). I hope this helps.

Planto

• nmd15
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Haha okay, that makes sense.. I think I went a little over board with the sunlight advice haha! Phewf good thing I was caught early before I managed to kill my phal :\ !!

Ill have to go pick some perlite up! Thanks for the advice! Is this 50/50 mix okay for cactuses to? I potted my cactus in the same MG soil as my aeonium and wondering if I should repot the soil for that one too.

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

Glad I could help with your Phal. I'm not sure what zone you're in, but it's a good thing yours hasn't burned yet. I'm in zone 8 and it'd be burned already lol.

You can use that mix for most succulents and cacti (it's possible there are some with needs in respects to potting mix; I don't grow those kinds, haha).

Planto