Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plantomaniac08

Haworthia ID

plantomaniac08
9 years ago

I realize this is probably a pretty common one and I'll later slap myself silly for not recognizing it.

TIA for the ID.

Planto

Comments (19)

• jojosplants
    9 years ago

Looks to me like tassellata .. Beautiful plant!

Here is a link that might be useful: Possibly this

• pirate_girl
    9 years ago

Yes, I was going to add venosa to the name & I see that's on the name of the attached pic.

Great, easy care Haworthia. Was an early favorite of mine 'cause of the cool patterns on the leaves (& also 'cause short of overwatering it, this plant is almost indestructible).

• jojosplants
    9 years ago

It's on my wish list. :-) My son had one, had being the key word. lol..

JoJo

• plantomaniac08
    Original Author
    9 years ago

JoJo & PG,
    Tyvm! Hopefully it proves indestructable for me as well.

Planto

• jojosplants
    9 years ago

Your Welcome! And yes, hopefully it does!
    It was one of his first plants and he was only 13. ;-) He does very well with them now and loves them all as much as me.

JoJo

• plantomaniac08
    Original Author
    9 years ago

JoJo,
    I remember you mentioning at one point that you and your son share the hobby of growing C&S. How is your Echinocereus rigidissimus v. rubispinus ('Rainbow Hedgehog') doing? I remember how tall it was and thoese beautiful flowers!

Planto

• jojosplants
    9 years ago

Hi Planto,
    Yes, you do remember. :-) Thank you! He is still as interested as he was but we haven't had much $$ to get out shopping.. so the first day of summer break (Next friday) we are getting together with my mom and hitting a nursery! :-)

My Rainbow is not happy right now and I'm hoping we can save her. She bloomed all out last year with 7 at once!! and then slowly fell over. Seemed soft at the base, so I feared rot.. so we took it out of the container that it had been in for 5 yrs! Then I didn't get it put in the ground right away.. so it shriveled a lot. :-/ It is in the ground now.. And I hope we can save it! We've had her about 7 yrs now. only 3 small blooms this season, just a few days ago.

I will try and upload a few pics here a little later today.

JoJo

• pirate_girl
    9 years ago

Sorry to ask, but what's a Rainbow (plantwise)?

• jojosplants
    9 years ago

Hi Karen...
    The plants real name is "Echinocereus rigidissimus v. rubispinus"
    And the common name or nic names are

Arizona Rainbow hedgehog.
    Rainbow Cactus and Arizona Rainbow cactus are the most common.

Here is a link that might be useful: Arizona Rainbow

• plantomaniac08
    Original Author
    9 years ago

JoJo,
    I understand being on a limited budget. I hope you and your son (and your Mom!) find something new and exciting.

I'm sorry to hear that your Rainbow isn't doing too well. I have read that they are more susceptible to rot and thus a little harder for some people to care for (I read somewhere that if the humidity is high, don't water... how interesting). But, you've had it this long and she has recently bloomed, I hope that she makes it! I look forward to your pictures.

I hope you don't mind me sharing a picture of my Rainbow. I found it at Lowes last month. I had one previously, but it didn't make it last year with all the summer rain we had (I lost most of my cacti last year).

{{gwi:546393}}

Planto

• jojosplants
    9 years ago

Beautiful !! No I don't mind, I love seeing what others have. :-)

I love the soft pinks of this cactus!

I've read the same on her care. But this is Arizona, low humidity. It does get up during monsoon season.. but like you said, I've had her a long time and always in the same spot. I would move it in the winter up to the patio during hard freezes and heavy rain.

I think it may have gotten a little soft from under watering and flopped over due to being so tall and heavy.

It's in the ground now..so we'll see how it does. I'm hoping too! We've had it a long time.

I'm sorry to hear you lost most of yours. It's heartbreaking I know! We lost 90 % of ours in winter of 2012. :-/ A lot of hard freezes that winter.

I know we will find plenty.. we have several huge cactus nurseries here! Need to make up our minds where to go.

• jojosplants
    9 years ago

found a few pictures of her from past ..
    This was spring/May of 2012

You can see in this pic she was already starting to look odd at the base, I just think it got too big.

I will figure out how to get her current one here from my phone after I get dinner. lol..

• jojosplants
    9 years ago

Can't figure out how to get all 3 in one post.. Old lap top.. that may be why or old me. lol...

• plantomaniac08
    Original Author
    9 years ago

JoJo,
    Thanks. I also love seeing what others have and enjoy showing off what little I have lol.

Yours is definitely more red than mine. I'm not 100% sure that mine is v. rubispinus. It was grown by Cactus Collection and their website says v. rubispinus, but mine doesn't quite have as much red/magenta as some pictures I've seen of v. rubispinus. Maybe it's just Echinocereus rigidissimus (which pictures I've found online look more like mine, only showing the reddish/magenta hue on the upper portion of the plant). *shrugs*

I failed to notice you're in AZ. Little humidity there to speak of lol. Where I'm at, it's humid most of the time, so I have to be careful apparently. That and the rain...

I'm sorry to hear you lost so many in 2012, I can only imagine what beauties you lost. :(

I'm jealous of you and all your cactus nurseries, haha.

We have three Lowes, but the selection is pretty much the same at each one and they only get two shipments of C&S a year. Better to look right when they get them or else you might miss out on something unique.

I just love those flowers, the color is almost... fake (not a color I've seen on any other cactus). The base does look smaller than the rest of the cactus. Must be really happy to have grown so thick!

I really hope it makes it, to have had something for that long and lose it, I cannot imagine. Please let me know how she's doing in a couple of months.

Planto

• jojosplants
    9 years ago

Planto , here is her picture from 2 weeks ago. It is actually leaning on the rock because it has a curve to it from when it fell over. I hope it makes it. Time will tell.

JoJo

This post was edited by jojosplants on Thu, May 15, 14 at 23:23

• plantomaniac08
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh wow, its gotten so tall! I hope it makes it too. Does it feel soft at all at the base?

Planto

• jojosplants
    9 years ago

Not soft that I can tell. I haven't tried checking with a blunt object, just by feel, but it does poke a little.. so can't squeeze too much. But best I can tell it's ok.
    Yes, it got to be 11" tall!

• chicagardens
    9 years ago

wow! amazing

• plantomaniac08
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Jojo,
    Well, that sounds like a good sign. Keep us updated on its progress. :)

Planto