Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mrlike2u

Recanting Euphorbia Obesa

mrlike2u
10 years ago

Prior statements from me of gender changing E. Obesa and some additional information..

There is no time limit of how long a gender change would happen if such a change where to happen.

Sounding like the lines from the movie Jurassic Park
In a single sex environment gender changes may occur if a particular species is threatened to maintain a form of balance as long as it's capable of making a critical gender chance. A frog was used in reference during the movie

Assumption being that a single sex Obesa of one and only one could be threatened if the opposite gender of Obesa isn't present at all in a collection and may change it's gender in less time than one may expect for it's own re productive balancing and would also keep both flowering genders on the same single Obesa.

Comments (10)

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    10 years ago

So you're saying E. o.'s as trannie as it wants to be?

• mrlike2u
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes Jeff it would ( or can) trannie for as long as it can for it's own survival for sucsess Evolutionary changes even if by gender changing wouldn't be an all the sudden 100 % completed event.

Or eventually a single E. Obesa would have to be stable in it's gender at a certain time in it's complete life, but could also be an assumption as nature and natural selections makes the rules.

10 years ago

Wes,

I think (almost certain) there are other Euphorbs which have this behaviour.

• mrlike2u
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I agree completely, there could be a whole slew of tranny Euporb species on the market as we speak.

Reason for my recanting is prior comments from m stated that a person may need more than one E obesa to get chance at noticing a E. tranny adaptation.

Yes there could very well be many more than just E.O but
    It'll take a while should anyone happen to find ALL the Euphorbias that have a natural tranny adaptation ability.
    By they way how is that milk weed of yours doing ?

10 years ago

Which one - the Fockea or the Raphionacme? They're both fine and growing.

• mrlike2u
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Good to hear Jeff and an A for the homework. When you have time for the fun of it a new home work assignment .....Next time I'll ask the same thing in Latin.

• noki
    10 years ago

Is this new one I bought today a female? I think I have two males already. Maybe I should wait and see if the two older ones decide to hook up.

This post was edited by noki on Thu, May 16, 13 at 23:25

• JGW3
    10 years ago

OK I will take the bait! I know someone is just waiting to jump on this question. But... how do you tell them apart? Isn't it in the flower?

John

• mrlike2u
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Male and female have different flower coloring. The one in the pick seems to be a female by one source and a male from another.

Most consistent from others that I know would say it's is a male and as I am much more in agreement with Miles 2 Go as well Congrats your the proud owner of... A male Obesa.

• noki
    10 years ago

So is this one female then? I thought this was a male because the flowers looked like it was trying to spread pollen.

One big difference between the two, the new upper plant has spent the winter in Arizona (probably) while the lower plant, that I've had for a year, spent winter on a windowsill in Ohio.

This post was edited by noki on Fri, May 17, 13 at 14:19

Sponsored
Custom Premiere Design-Build Contractor | Hilliard, OH