Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
msgreenfinger

Haworthia kintaikyo (?) - salvaged from clearance

MsGreenFinger GW
9 years ago

Hi,
I found this plant on the clearance shelf (only �1,65). Label says 'succulent' so I Googled for Haworthia. Found this being a 'Haworthia cv kintaikyo' but that seems to be a rare hybrid so I'm in doubt now.
Also it is in pretty bad shape, how could I fix it? I unfortunately don't know much about caring for succulents.

Thanks

Comments (19)

• User
    9 years ago

Sorry, but I believe that's an Aloe (something like rauhii) not a Haworthia (I grow both).

PS I meant to add: nice find, good for you!

This post was edited by pirate_girl on Thu, May 22, 14 at 13:24

• MsGreenFinger GW
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Pirate girl!

I didn't even search among aloes. Last time I got a succulent I thought it was an aloe, yet it is a Haworthia LOL
    So I just put it on the windowsill in full sun and let it be...

• volcanonerd
    9 years ago

You should repot it into well draining soil and then put it in a windowsill.

• MsGreenFinger GW
    Original Author
    9 years ago

*update*
    Just repotted into a mixture of clay pebbles and perlite :)
    Found a shoot in the soil which unfortunately broke off. It has a little root on it so maybe will survive. Fingers crossed

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

It does look like some sort of Aloe hybrid. Be careful with the water in between the leaves like that (pictured in the last photo), you don't want water to sit in the center of the plant or in between the leaves.

Only time will tell if it'll make it or not, just give it some time (don't fuss over it too much).

Planto

• MsGreenFinger GW
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The leaves are wet because I rinsed the soil off when repotted.
    Is watering from the bottom the best for them? Maybe once a month or so?

• 0nametaken0
    9 years ago

What harm would water sitting inbtw leafs bring? Its not like the water is going to sit there for a week.

• User
    9 years ago

I top water my Aloes w/out any problems (but use a lot of pumice or perlite in my mixes). Mine are in west windows getting a lot of light, I'm watering every 2-3 wks depending.

I'd suggest you try watering every 2 wks & adjust from there, can't give hard & fast rules as it depends on your mix, what kind of pot (clay will absorb some of the water) & how much light.

I've never seen perlite used w/ the clay balls (Leca stones, which I DO use in my hydro set ups). What's the purpose of that pls? Are you saying you have NO MIX in there at all? I've never grown Aloes in hydro, so simply cannot address that.

If that's what you're using I'm not sure it'll work & would GUESS once monthly is way too little water.

NameTaken: I don't know how long before stem/crown rot sets in, while it wasn't my caution (not to get water btwn the leaves or in the crown) I'd be careful all the same.

• Sundewd
    9 years ago

It's a PPA aloe hybrid called 'Blizzard'. Be careful as these rot pretty easily. It looks to be on the verge already.

• MsGreenFinger GW
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Pirate girl,
    I have no soil at hand because all my plants are in semi-hydro. Mixed perlite w/leca cause clay balls were too large grains for this little plant. I have a Haworthia pentagona and an Aloe vera in the same mix and they seem to like it.

Sundewd,
    thanks for the name, I give it a chance anyway

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

Ms,
    You can water from the top, I just would water around the plant (not water the plant). Sometimes water sitting in between the leaves like that can cause decay if sitting there too long. I sometimes get my Aloes wet, I just use a Q-tip to suck up the water that gets between the leaves.

As to how often to water, I'm unsure as i've never grown an Aloe in the mix you're using, sorry.

Planto

• Sundewd
    9 years ago

Sorry for not going into much detail before... I'm at work today. You said it had a root? Then Its not a goner yet. But you will want to wait to water it until it bites the media better. Unless it feels soft, then give it a squirt or two to get it moving along. If you don't have soil on hand you can use a bark/pumice/light rock mix and it should be okay.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

I water on the plant because my plants fill over the whole pot and that is the only way to get water into the pot. BUT they are outside in hot Texas and rot is not an issue.

• Sundewd
    9 years ago

I've had a few rot here on the gulf coast, texas. It can happen but I wouldn't say top watering is to blame.

• MsGreenFinger GW
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The main plant had pretty long healthy roots, even circling the pot so I cut that part off, Only the leaves are sad looking. Maybe it wasn't clear, there is a little root on the small shoot (2nd pic, long white thing).

Here in Ireland there is a bigger chance of rotting than drying out so I will force myself not to water in the first few weeks :)

Sometimes this experiment with semi-hydro is harder than it sounded first. I feel like a pioneer :)

• kaktuskris
    9 years ago

Give it as much sun as is possible in Ireland...Definitely an Aloe hybrid, not sure which, though not too far off from my 'Pink Blush'...don't believe it is 'Blizzard.'

Christopher

• MsGreenFinger GW
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I think they look very similar, except the colour.

• kaktuskris
    9 years ago

The pink hue only comes out it bright light...Put yours in a sunny window, and see what happens.

Christopher

• mingtea
    9 years ago

'Quicksilver,' 'Snowflake,' 'snow storm,' 'Blizzard....'
    All possibilities and who knows? Keep it happy and see what develops :). Sometimes the best you can do is slap a cf. on the tag, enjoy growing it and call it good.

-Ming