Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
weiword

Haworthia help - no response, dead already?

weiward
9 years ago

I received some lovely windowed haworthia a month ago and put them together in a pot with orostachys boehmeri (Chinese dunce caps), but they're not doing well at all.

As you can see, one of them already had a flower stalk when it arrived, and this successively grew and flowered. The stalk would respond to light as I turned the pot.

However, when it was done flowering last week, it stopped responding to light or water. It had also turned dark and curled in upon itself, with a few of the outer leaves shriveling and dying. None of the other plants were looking too good either, half of the leaves on the dunce caps had died (although the offshoots were madly sprouting offshoots, no roots) and the other two haworthia also starting to feel less firm, so I unpotted them today to discover that none of them had any new root growth since I potted them last month.

Under the top layer of sand I used a well-draining pre-mixed succulent mix. I had introduced the pot to a south-facing windowsill about a week after potting, and the plants were further protected from the sun with a thin tissue filter. I only started watering about two weeks ago, once a week, when I noticed the flowering plant get tired, but he didn't seem to be responding.

I'm not sure what I can do for them so for now I've repotted them in fresh soil, the only kind I have on hand has more organic material than the previous one.

What was happening for the last month that went wrong? Why didn't any of them send out new roots? How can I encourage root growth and acclimatisation? What kind of soil should I be using, perhaps? How much water? I'm reading conflicting information about whether I'm giving too much or too little.

Thank you in advance for any input, I really want these little guys to thrive and show me their fat little windows!

Comments (6)

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler