Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
calandrinia question and some epi and jade pix

Posted by deep___roots ca9/sunset15 (My Page) on
Fri, May 4, 12 at 13:31

So is calandrinia grandiflora (rock purslane) a succulent? The flowers are pretty neat (you can see the plant
in a pot and the purple flowers at the bottom of this picture). Sorry...I was showing off my roses
and this is the only picture with the purslane I have.
Photobucket
Then, this is the first time this epi has bloomed.
Love the red flowers.
Untitled
This is a rhipsalis, no? A dependable bloomer for many years and how about that hand wired hanging pot.
Those cheap plastic hanger things degrade and disaster can occur.
Untitled
Last, my jade cuttings/bonsai project. My favorite is the branch laid flat with the 3 sprouts in the oval pot.
Untitled
Thanks for looking.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: calandrinia question and some epi and jade pix

Great photo of your garden! I love your roses. I think you'll find that people that grow plants rarely grow just one kind and enjoy all nature has to give. I grow orchids, have a few roses, and now some succulents.

I put a jade branch flat on some dirt like you did, but so far, nothing has sprouted. I'm glade to see that laying them down like that actually does work.

Penny

o

I'm trying the "laying down" thing with one myself, although the conditions it's in...who knows what'll happen. But it had roots along the branch, so I figured it wouldn't hurt. I'm overrun with jades, so I can mess with them. :-)

I agree with Penny about variety. My tiny balcony is crammed with roses, annuals, plumerias, and several succulent species (the jades making up the numbers, of course, crammed in any which way). I wish I could find an epiphyllum, though. I'd love to have one, assuming I could find somewhere to shoehorn it in...

o

Deeproots, nice set up giving your epi a place to hang out. I also have an epi that is a first time bloomer for me, the flowers are just getting ready to unfold so I'm keeping a close eye on her, mine are magenta color that looks stunning.

On the rock perslane : I heard they were succulents indeed, my are also mixed with all my cacti & succulents and thrive on neglect and very little water. Nice brilliant purple flowers for sure that adds a nice splash of color in the garden.

Greg

o

If you like Calandrinia you'll love C. guadalupensis (which Cactus Jordi has a hectare of) - it's the perfect plant for SouCal, as it wants no summer water.

To answer your question, I don't think so. Of the two species we're talking about, C. grandiflora is not a succulent, IMO, but C. guadalupensis is. Like the Euphorbia genus, some are succulent, some are not (I don't know how many species there are in the Calandrinia genus).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here