Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
symplestytches

Haworthia: can't tell if it's alive?

symplestytches
9 years ago

so I've had this tiny tiny haworthia plant since probably Nov 2013, but it hasn't changed in size, shape, color since.no new leaves, nothing. i've never grown these guys, and i've watered it very sparingly, since i read something about avoiding overwatering. has been sitting in a southfacing window sill for past few months, just moved it to my office to be under a CFL bulb with stronger light.

Comments (14)

• Danielle Rose
    9 years ago

I have similar Haworthias, and think that one could use more watering that you've described. The plant below was pulled off of a larger plant about six weeks ago, and after 10 days or so in dry soil, I started watering it. Sparingly at first, but now I water it pretty thoroughly once a week (the soil is very well draining, and since the air here is really dry, it's damp to the touch for maybe a day or two). It's already growing new leaves, and a little tug tells me it has new roots holding it in place. It also sits in a south-facing window that gets sun almost all day.

Maybe yours is one that prefers less; there are many that do ... the haw that is keeping this guy company in the pot below may need to be removed if it shows signs of going dormant for summer (its parent is currently going red and wrinkled, so it will get monthly watering until September), but right now it's still full and green, so it stays, and keeps getting watered.

My advice is to water it more, and give it as much light as possible, and see if this spurs any growth. If you get any signs of browning leaves or rot, dry it out again.

• symplestytches
    Original Author
    9 years ago

will do! hopefully the little guy starts growing. how quickly do they grow anyway?

• Danielle Rose
    9 years ago

I'm not sure it's the same Haworthia, but I think they generally grow slowly and stay fairly compact. Still, you can tell when they are putting out new growth.

Good luck!

• kathi_mdgd
    9 years ago

Looks like some new growth,bottom going towards the left.

Some of my haworthias grow quite quickly,seems like I always have to divide them every other year or so.
    Kathi

• petrushka (7b)
    9 years ago

it looks very dry to me - mostly dead, i'd say.
    when the crown is completely closed like that - that's a pretty clear sign.
    but you basically need to pop it out of soil and see if there are any roots there. if there still are may be you can make it pup - need to water more.
    don't give it hot sun, only morning sun.
    and dribble some water on it regularly.
    you might even enclose it with a little open dome: pop-off the bottom of the large clear plastic bottle, take off the cap too and just put it on top of the plant. and watch to see if the leaves open up a bit.
    the growing tip inside is usually open when alive and growing.

• chicagardens
    9 years ago

Petruska- thx for the info you've provided, I have a similar one in similar condition. I didn't know better and thought it was totally fine. I'll use your advice to help recover it.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    9 years ago

Could it be Haworthia coarctata?
    This one is definitely not dead...Rina

This post was edited by rina_ on Mon, May 12, 14 at 1:25

• angellilly
    9 years ago

Oh they are tough little plants arent they?my plants suffered from irregular watering and they became limp and not growing that much.Then i figured that they need more water than say,cacti.Now i water them just like my other plants EXCEPT when they are dormant and/or they replace their roots.Even in winter i water them a little and they are happy as a pig in the mud!!!!so my advice would be to water your plant a little more..oh,and give it strong light if you can!!
    {{gwi:547581}}
    (Haworthia arachnoidea var nigricans seedling,its pot sometimes floods but it doesnt complain,it has excellent drainage!)

This post was edited by angellilly on Mon, May 12, 14 at 17:15

• symplestytches
    Original Author
    9 years ago

so I watered it between lightly and well-watered before the weekend, and I came back today to work to find that it's opened up and feels much firmer and "alive" than it was before! so I watered it pretty thoroughly to make sure I get down to the bottom of the pot, and will not water it again until the pot feels light. I'm so glad I didn't kill it!

• angellilly
    9 years ago

Excellent Styches!!!!

• symplestytches
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Progress report: it is a much happier now!

• jojosplants
    9 years ago

Huge improvement!
    Glad it worked out for you!

They close up like it did as a defense to preserve it's moisture.

• Danielle Rose
    9 years ago

It's quite pretty, too! I like its compact shape. Happy growing!

• haw fan
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

hey if anyones still on this thread, whats wrong with my haw, i got it 6 month ago, with these pups, it hasnt changed one bit since then. I even named it Li'l Spikey.. it looks dormant. what to do