Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plantomaniac08

Jade ID Needed

plantomaniac08
10 years ago

Hi folks,
I just purchased this at a local Lowes and I am in need of an ID.

I've noticed that the leaves on this one appear longer than the plain green Crassula ovata I'm used to seeing. Is this Crassula ovata 'Variegata' ? Aside from a couple of leaves, I don't see as much variegation present on this one as I've seen with other variegated jades that I found online (I am a jade novice though...).

Thanks for the help, giving this to Hubby as a birthday present so he'll have something to bonsai (other than the japanese maple he's also getting. Boy, he's spoiled!). It would be nice to tell him exactly which jade he has.

{{gwi:547777}}

{{gwi:547780}}

Comments (13)

• brodyjames_gw
    10 years ago

It sure looks like a tricolor to me! :)

Nancy

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    10 years ago

Beth,

I would have bought it name unknown, too - it's pretty.

Nancy,

I was going to call it that too, but we need Josh the Jade Trove's opinion for sure (or another one of the usual suspects), don't we?

• plantomaniac08
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Nancy,
    I found pictures of 'Tricolor' online while looking for more pictures of variegated jades. It does has quite the resemblence to 'Tricolor' doesn't it?

Jeff,
    Thanks! Maybe subconsiously I bought this this jade is a gift for myself as well... I'm not a jade person but it caught my eye last week when I was looking for myself. I bought a Crassula marginalis rubra variegata instead. Whether it's Hubby's or mine, I'll be able to enjoy it now. :D

I guess I'll wait for "Josh the Jade Trove" to reply as well just to see what he thinks. I'm leaning toward 'Tricolor' myself as of right now, Nancy (not that I don't trust or value your opinon), I just want to see what else is said about it.

Thanks both of you for your input.

Planto

• brodyjames_gw
    10 years ago

No offense taken. :)

It looks like my tricolor, but the leaves on mine aren't as pink tinged because it has been in the basement under artificial lights all winter.

Nancy

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

At first, I thought it was a skinny version of Kalanchoe 'Fantastic' (similar coloring). Just yesterday I saw a Crassula at Home Depot with elongated leaves like that (had not seen them that long before), but it wasn't variegated. They had one marked as "Crassula sp." & another as i>Crassula arborescens ssp. undulatifolia. The leaves were thinner than yours. Sorry, I know this isn't helping you. Sort of thinking out loud. Maybe it'll click in someone else's brain!

Beautiful score!!!

• JGW3
    10 years ago

Hey when Josh get's to the party maybe he could set me straight too. The main difference I thought between the two is the Tricolor is more pointed and has more a defined tip to the leaf. The Obliqua is more rounded like the one in your picture. My guess is based off of both minutes of vast experience and is thrown out there solely for the purpose of getting myself educated! Please no one think for a minute I am trying to argue!

John

• 123Greta
    10 years ago

I have the same plant, labeled as a Crassula platyphylla variegated... ?

• 123Greta
    10 years ago

.... or C. platyphylla tricolor. I am always leery when it comes to these labels...

• plantomaniac08
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the information everyone, so many thoughts to go on! I was looking at Crassula platyphylla online and I can see a resemblance to my jade (ahem, Hubby's jade). I never thought to branch out of Crassula ovata and look at other species. How common is C. platyphylla compared to finding a C. ovata? I am wondering how common a variegated one is as well (if it is indeed C. platyphylla). I'm getting more excited by the minute. Whatever it is, Hubby got a nice plant. :)

Planto

• 123Greta
    10 years ago

Mine looks just like yours, planto. And it is very possible the label is incorrect. When I looked at other plants online, they looked much more red than mine. But that could also depend on lighting, water, etc. If the id is incorrect, hopefully someone will come along and give us both the right name!

• plantomaniac08
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Greta,
    That's very possible about different environmental factors. I'm glad I asked, seeing as you have the same one (it's nice to have that feeling of certainty). I had a Mammillaria that was in need of an ID and it drove me crazy until someone was able to ID it for me. How have you been taking care of your jade?

Planto

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

Well, hello!
    I don't know what this plant is, but it doesn't look like a 'Tricolor' Jade to me. A quick google search of Crassula platyphylla shows some plants very similar to yours, and I'll defer to the other experts.

John, C. ovata does have the rounded leaf. The 'Tricolor' is an oblique-leafed Jade, stiffer leaves with pronounced tips.

Josh

• plantomaniac08
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Josh,
    Thanks so much for narrowing it down, Josh. I'll wait for other experts to chime in, but I think you may have narrowed it down far enough to say it is more probably Crassula platyphylla.

Planto