Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stush49

To hijole 9 Sunny California OT

Greg is always showing his colorful beauitfuy yard off to us northers. Well, here's my yard with plants hardy to zone 6. Show us your yards. My cactus and succuents garden is still in the works.
Stush

Comments (39)

• barbmock
    9 years ago

Stush,

Just beautiful! I can't do much with my yard, too many deer grazing on everything, so I garden on the back deck.

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Barb,
    I have deer attacks in my yard as well. Mostly in the fall so it doesn't really brother me. My back yard is just the opposite as yours. Deer eat all but what the ground hog doesn't take. I have a deer statue in my yard. Bought it with-out a head. Made a new one with auto body putty. Seems to hold up to weather more than the body does.
    Where's Greg?
    Stush

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    9 years ago

A beautiful yard and a beautiful deck. So green! It's never that green here.

This is Mr. Huntington's yard, not mine:
    {{gwi:547844}}

• KittieKAT
    9 years ago

If i showed whatever yard i had you'd ALL feel horribly bad for showing how beautiful ALL YOUR yards are.

I literally have a driveway and a front entrance to a Tia chi club...so i use my Sun porch

• chicagardens
    9 years ago

Very nice stush! Especially the pup in the yard. Hehe :)

• hijole
    9 years ago

Stush, there is no more sympathy for you and the cold weather Boy! Your yard is beautiful and the colors are flowing all over the place.

Seriously Stush, hats off to you and your landscaping, and that deer is looking pretty natural too.
    Boy nothing there looks like its been buried under snow at all. I also like the walk way too, your set up is almost Californian I mean its stunning Stush.

Barb, now that is one nice looking deck you have there its such a relaxing set up and all your plants look happy too. What a perfect spot for a nice Bar-B-Q .

Hoovb , please give Mr Huntington my regards and tell him his yard is a work of art :)

As far as my short absence today, I was in the yard almost 1/2 the day and chasing grand kids the other half of the day and just now checked into the post here.

Lets see some more yardage everyone big or small.

Greg

Original Author
    9 years ago

chaseing deer
    Stush

• User
    9 years ago

So Stush,

When are we all invited over? That nice flat rock is just beconning me saying, "Hey Karen, this is a nice spot for a breather & a chilled ice tea, yum".

Seriously, though, looks so lush & serene, it's hard to imagine a more inviting setting, The Deer looks mighty good too! Nicely done!

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

Hey Stush, it is no longer white!! amazing. when is the next snow storm due?

• ssk22 Ohio 5b
    9 years ago

Stush,
    Very pretty yard.so relaxing .
    Love the deer,bet it doesn't eat much....
    Sharon

• Enterotoxigenic00
    9 years ago

What a wonderful contrast to our desert.
    So very peaceful and relaxing.
    I'm sure you put in many hours of hard work.
    Be kind to yourself and enjoy.
    Karen

• chicagardens
    9 years ago

I agree, very nice garden stush, one would never know you were under feet of snow. :)

Pirate girl, i am totally on board! i have my permission slip ready for the garden tour...i've already got Greg on board to tour his garden...haha...i keep harassing him about it :)

Original Author
    9 years ago

It's late now, but I got to take a picture of my back yard which is connected to a track of 10 acres. Many deer, some coyotes, many rabbits, some ground hogs and a few raccoons. My friend and neighbor who lived there always keep flowers all over the place and even kept bees. He passed on a few years ago. Still miss him. I think I still see him back there. There used to be veg. gardens a long time ago but the animals was too hard to keep out.
    And all is invited to come and visit. I always have a open yard policy.
    Stush

• hijole
    9 years ago

Ok, we are charting a bus to Stanley's, Chica can you take turns driving? We are headed to Pennsylvania or Bust!

Mara are you in?

P.G Karen, the invite has been given lets load up the Bus and head to Stushes Pad. I mean garden lol..

All aboard!!! Greg

• nil13
    9 years ago

I guess it's fair that the Easterners get to torment us with green landscapes while ours are flagging. I mean we were torturing them with blooms while it was snowing. Still a little jealous though.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

Yea, count me in. But I fear that by the time we see gardens on the way we will get stuck in a snow storm before we ever get thereâ¦.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Never know about those snow storms. But while you guys are visiting me. I'll be out Calf. to Greg's house with my U-Hual truck. Got to plan this just right. Must remember to bring my extra heavy duty welding gloves. My heat jacket from Work, I worked at a steel mill. Maybe up to Josh's house to check out his Jade plants. Wait, nobody will know about this? Aaaaa, just kidding.
    You know, it may not be such a bad idea. From Calf. to N.Y. to check and see all ours friends along the way. But where will we start from and which side first. Or better yet, we can do it twice. Once one way then the other. Ok, put me in twice.
    Stush

• hijole
    9 years ago

Stush, going my way lol... :)

0K so we must all leave at the same time for this to work out perfect so the bus is leaving at 12:00 pm this afternoon don't feel bad if you can't make it out this time around we will also be making other trips in an 18 Wheeler and taking a tractor with us to up root anything that makes you smile :)

I'm so excited... My first trip to uncle Stanleys house :)
    Oh, by the way stush, do you know any short cuts? Lol..

Greg

• jojosplants
    9 years ago

ROFL!!!
    Better make it a huge u-haul!

On the bright side Greg, it will be easier to find your coffee cup with a few less plants. ;-) lol....

Absolutely beautiful yards! But I will keep my brown desert , there is no snow with it. ;-)

This post was edited by jojosplants on Sat, May 31, 14 at 11:35

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

Will you guys stop for seed collecting?and plant documenting along the way? SHORTCUTS, who travels with a map? We will do it the right/left/right method, all the way there.

• hijole
    9 years ago

Jojo, omg.. Coffee! were gunna needs lots of it!

Mara, lol.. Left right right left oh we shoulda turned way back there where we passed that sign about an hour ago. I told you!!! Let me drive! No I know a short cut. Oh BROTHER! Not another one, will never get there before the next BLIZZARD NOW!

8 hours later: Someone call Stush, Why? Are we lost again? No were HERE!!!

Hello uncle Stush, here drink this it'll make you feel better.
    ok he's asleep, back the truck in Mara, & tell Chica to start the Tractor, I'll check the place out.

8 hrs later, he's waking up, Quick! START THE TRUCK, START THE TRUCK SOMEBODY!

Driving away, Hey wheres my coffee cup, SHOOT! Go back!

What!
    Sounds coming from the cab of the truck, JUST GET ANOTHER ONE HIJOLE...

LOL... HAVE A NICE WEEKEND EVERYONE :))

Greg

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

ROADTRIP!!!! To h*ll with the Uhall. I just remembered , I have had a school bus painted in the yard for years. I even got my crew to paint into the midnight hour for us. Room for all, plants and all pink poodles. It burns a little oil.

{{gwi:547846}}

{{gwi:547847}}

{{gwi:547848}}

• Enterotoxigenic00
    9 years ago

Hijole.....

I will not be able to join the road trip....
    I must visit my father.....yeah, that's it, visit my father.
    But I will be more than happy to pass by your garden
    to ensure all is safe...ahem.
    Note to self: visited father, ensure all is safe
    Karen

• hijole
    9 years ago

Karen... Your on my Radar girl. Lol...

Greg

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    9 years ago

Nice paint job!

• chicagardens
    9 years ago

Mmmmmmmm road trip on that bad @ss school bus or help Karen with security detail shifts @ camp Greg. Ugh! Such a hard choice. (:

• hijole
    9 years ago

Lol... Chica just get on the Bus, please! next stop is at my place to unload the stuff. And then the tour begins.

Stush, pist...hey stush... Are you awake?

Greg

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

SHHH, Let him sleep.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Greg,
    Did you happen to see my watch dog in the photo. She been trained to spot plant thieves. Last week she cornered a rabbit. Had to let it go since it was twice her size. She's getting old now. Reaching 18 years. She still acts like a pup and has lots of energy left. If you come over, she will lick you to death.
    I am lucky to have 3 young grandchildren who come over and help me out with all the gardening chores and love it. I have been truely blessed even with the big snows. Last night I thought I saw a snow flake. Opps, it was just a mirror on the wall.
    Stush

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

I think you should die your pup pink to match your azaleas in spring. Imagine the prey it would catch with the proper camouflage.

• kathi_mdgd
    9 years ago

What beautiful gardens,Stan i have a similar deer,mines made of cement and weighs a ton.When i want it moved i have to get my yard guys to do it.What are those beautiful pink trees/bushes,they're gorgeous,and i like the walking path as well,could enjoy myself real well in your yard,and i'd even settle for ice water so you wouldn't have to make ice tea,although that would be nice as well.

Like that deck also,as well as Mr Huningtons garden,he and mother nature did a great job.

Not up for any trips these days,dh needs to have surgery,so we'll get that scheduled this week.

Greg i love that flush of pink on your plant,it's gorgeous.

Guess i'll have to go see what pictures i can find to share.
    Thanks everyone enjoyed them all as usual.
    kathi

• hijole
    9 years ago

Mara, Pink would be the ideal color for that watched dog lol.. and then he could hide in the tree and jump on deer & rabbits :) Haha...

Stush, I did notice the pup and actually I meant to comment on his presence in the picture what a nice addition to your garden and I think Mara is on to something with a new color for his coat lol..
    3 grandkids that's awesome! right now I have 6 grandkids but only one enjoys helping me around the yard, actually he really enjoys being with gramps in the yard doing anything I'll have to post a picture of him helping me out.
    Lol.. so you thought you saw a snow flake huh? the only place I ever see snow flakes is on TV :)

Kathi, Please throw up some of your award winning pictures & please Join us on this magic school bus ride over to Uncle Stush's garden for a free for all.

Greg

• kathi_mdgd
    9 years ago

Trying again,had a bunch on here and hit the wrong key and lost them all Ggggggggggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

overview of part of yard.

{{gwi:547849}}
    {{gwi:547850}}

A few of my buddies

{{gwi:547851}}

{{gwi:547849}}
    {{gwi:520047}}

{{gwi:547853}}

{{gwi:547855}}

{{gwi:547857}}

part of front yard

{{gwi:547858}}

side yard,

{{gwi:547859}}

front yard

{{gwi:547860}}

{{gwi:547861}}

{{gwi:547862}}

{{gwi:48438}}

PB quit working so this will have to do.Enjoy the view
    Kathi

• hijole
    9 years ago

Kathi,

Nicely done, So who helps you with all the arrangements there, And that has got to be the best looking Scarecrow I've ever seen :) J.K I like the way you've combined everything together it looks like a park Kathi. Maybe will be paying you a visit real Soooooon too Lol...

Greg

• kathi_mdgd
    9 years ago

I do most of it by myself,dh helps some,but he never got that military system out of his blood,so he likes to line things up in rows like little soldiers,which drives me crazy.Told him i like it,more scattered,cottagy likelike mother nature does it.

He does still help with the digging,lifting,and some of the weed pulling.Although he hasn't been able to do much this year because of his back.We have guys that do the mowing for us every week,and that's a big help,as that also used to be my job until about 8 -10 years ago,once all our kids left home.

I enjoy yard work and gardening,it's my therapy!!!!
    Glad you enjoyed the tour.May post some more later as it's hot and humid here and i can't take the humidity.YUK
    Kathi

• kathi_mdgd
    9 years ago

I do most of it by myself,dh helps some,but he never got that military system out of his blood,so he likes to line things up in rows like little soldiers,which drives me crazy.Told him i like it,more scattered,cottagy likelike mother nature does it.

He does still help with the digging,lifting,and some of the weed pulling.Although he hasn't been able to do much this year because of his back.We have guys that do the mowing for us every week,and that's a big help,as that also used to be my job until about 8 -10 years ago,once all our kids left home.

I enjoy yard work and gardening,it's my therapy!!!!
    Glad you enjoyed the tour.May post some more later as it's hot and humid here and i can't take the humidity.YUK
    Kathi

Original Author
    9 years ago

Kathi,
    Very nice. I enjoyed your house tour. I too have that same deer in your yard but mine is falling apart now. Here's another of the front porch.
    Stush

• chicagardens
    9 years ago

Kathi- what's the first pic? That's a pretty cool looking plant.

• kathi_mdgd
    9 years ago

Chicago,it's a colours.They come in so many beautiful colors and combinations of colors.Look them up,I'm sure you'll be impressed.

Shush,thanks. for the. Compliments.We gardeners love to see what each of us is growing.Love your front porch.In the morning I need to get a better look at your pic on my desk top.This kindle is too small for me to get a good look.

Uploaded a bunch of pictures earlier tonight to my computer,so will have more to share.

Keep the pictures coming folks!!!
    Kathi