Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tweathers_gw

Please tell me what aloe this is

tweathers
9 years ago

If anyone could tell me what kind of aloe this is thats be great it has orangish red teeth

Comments (26)

• tweathers
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Maybe this pic is better

• tweathers
    Original Author
    9 years ago

And this one

• tweathers
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Close up of reddish orange teeth

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

Definitely one of those new fangled muts, I mean hybrids..

• tweathers
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Are you trying to talk crap about a plant lol??? I saw it at walmart thought it'd look good with my collection and I got it so your input did not help me what so ever

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

She was implying that it's an Aloe hybrid that's probably been hybridized (cross bred) so many times you won't be able to get a name. In essence, it is a mutt. :)

Planto

• tweathers
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well I figured it was a hybrid but all the hybrids have a name or at least what they came from just wanted to know since I know all my other plants exact names. I personally like the hybrids a lot but I get what your saying was just wondering if someone could help me out

• hanzrobo
    9 years ago

I know its name. Sorry, that input doesn't help you what-so-ever. lol

So, a little off topic, but did you guys know that our little friend, the mealy bug, is used to make the pigment, carmine? I always thought it was interesting how they leave a red streak when you smush 'em. I guess I wasn't the first to notice.

• jojosplants
    9 years ago

LOL!
    No I didn't know that hanzrobo.. Thanks for the info. ;-)

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    9 years ago

You are a cochineal master blaster, Ryno.

• mingtea
    9 years ago

Actually, it's not quite your average mealy bug (associated with houseplants, asclepiads etc.) that produces the red pigmentation, carmine (historically and in present times used commercially), but another family in the same genus that is most specifically found on opuntioids. The common name there is cochineal scale insect...
    But then again, that's the problem with common names ;)

-Ming

9 years ago

Ming,

Yes, I knew we have to have a particular mealy bug (there are apparently hundreds of species of them, like Opuntias, I guess). I have some old CSSA Journals which gave a detailed explanation of this dyeing art - fascinating. I'm trying to talk my wife into letting me start a cottage industry, but I think I'd need several hectares under glass up here for the Opuntias to make it worth it. We'd raise alpacas for the wool to dye, and their poop would fertilize the plants. Government grant, here I come.

And is it correct to say that this specific bug is found on Opuntias only?

This post was edited by cactusmcharris on Sun, May 25, 14 at 17:06

• jojosplants
    9 years ago

LOL! Good luck with your ventures Jeff! It sounds interesting. ;-) I wouldn't mind a few Alpaca's for the wool for yarn. :-) I wonder if the HOA would allow it. ?

• tweathers
    Original Author
    9 years ago

So no one can tell me the name of this aloe??

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

Look up Kelly Griffin aloe Hybrids and you will see what we mean. There are some pages that try to list them. There are a lot of them. Proven winners used to sell some of them. There are many cases where people have hybridized two or more kelly Griffen hybrids together and sold them . Kelly Griffin is very selective and works for himself and some big growers in the cactus growing world. People have been known to raid his trash for seeds that he throws out.

There is also other breeders too. It gets very confusing . Many growers will grow their unknown hybrids where aloes had unprotected unplanned sex and sell the babies without a name, or the name 'assorted succulents'. Good luck.

• hanzrobo
    9 years ago

Ming,
    I am dyeing right now. Thanks for the info. Yes, particularly, a breed from Madagascar, as I understand.

Jojo, I think we're onto something here. Alpacas & Opuntias... there's a lot for rent in Hesperia... red is one of my favorite primary colors.

emceeCholla,
    Tank you. Who run barter town?

• jojosplants
    9 years ago

LOL! Yes, we may be on to something! LOL!
    Put that lot to good use! LOL!

• tweathers
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Is this aloe for sure even a hybrid???

• tweathers
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Also what fertilizer should I get? I have some zanzibar aloes , minnie belles, tiger jaws, and regular aloe vera but not sure what kind of fertilizer and how much

9 years ago

It for sure is a hybrid and it's named 'Carmine'. Diluted (a ratio of 1:4 is suggested) general-purpose fertilizer, once a month or so while it's growing, would be good.

This post was edited by cactusmcharris on Sun, May 25, 14 at 22:57

• Nattie_Natt
    9 years ago

Aloe juvenna?

9 years ago

Nattie,

No, as noted it's a hybrid, not a species.

• Nattie_Natt
    9 years ago

cactusmcharris
    Sorry Im new :( maybe I shouldn't have said anything. Lol. I just know that I have one that looks a lot like that and was labeled "aloe juvenna". Could also be mislabeled.

9 years ago

That's OK, we all have done the same and been in the same place. I agree A. juvenna superficially does look like 'Carmine', but once you grow Aloes for a while you can usually pick out the hybrids a mile away.

• lzrddr
    9 years ago

I do not know this hybrid, either, but definitely a hybrid. I know of now true species with wide, flat teeth like this plant,... and sadly, by FAR most Aloe hybrids do NOT have names, unless they have been cultivated, name by its inventor and sold (and names accepted) as such. Many aloe enthusiasts crank out hybrid after hybrid and only name a small number of them (even Kelly Griffin creates lots of plants but only names the choice ones or ones he can recreated consistently). I have a number of unnamed hybrids, some of them great looking plants... the good thing about some of these unnamed hybrids as many are unique... you may have the only one that looks like that.

• tweathers
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks a lot guys this was really helpful

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?