Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mold on my Euphorbia obesa?

Posted by littlekirstenjr 8 (My Page) on
Sat, May 17, 14 at 14:10

Is this some type of mold on my Euphorbia obesa? It seems like every time I water it, it gets this white film all over it. What's the watering schedule for these guys anyway? I'm assuming water when soil is dry, but the tag said to water every other day, which sounds insane to me. I never followed it.

I just want mine to grow !

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mold on my Euphorbia obesa?

Aside from the mold, the general color appears as though your E. obesa has had it. If it is soft, it is dead. Sorry for the bad news, but it can happen to the best of us and I can't begin to tell you how many of these I've lost that I've grown from my own seed.

o

It's definitely still alive as it is about as hard as a rock. I took a look at the roots recently and they were quite extensive and not rotting. Something tells me it won't stay living that long unless I get this mildew/mold/fungi situation under control.

o

I agree with the post above, and also yes, that tag is insane! If you decide to try again with a new plant, make sure it has tons of sun and water sparingly. I live in one of the driest parts of the U.S. and I water my cacti about once a month in winter (or less) and once every 2-3 weeks in summer. It depends on the species and of course on your soil and the humidity where you live. How often did you water this guy since you didn't follow the instructions (thank goodness)?

o

I watered about once a week, which in retrospect I believe was far too much. That damn label fooled me into thinking they were thirsty drinkers!

I'm thinking of getting this guy more sun and watering very little, which I'm hoping will kill off the mold/mildew. Maybe I'm just delusional, but I think he can still be saved. He doesn't have any rotting tissue or bad roots. If there's any other ideas to save this little dude, I'd love to hear them.

o

Is it living indoors or out? If indoors and you can put it out, gradually increase the amount of sun it gets over the course of a few weeks. If that is mold, perhaps the sunlight will kill it. Also, what kind of mix is it in? From the little spot I can see, it appears to be very peaty.

Nancy

o

Thank you all for the great suggestions! I'll be making a few changes and give an update when/if it responds well.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here