Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
thought i'd share a picture of my plants!

Posted by KittieKAT Massachusetts (My Page) on
Mon, May 5, 14 at 14:43

Most of them i saved from some really bad care at stores, though most aren't entirely up to there full potential yet, but I'm hoping soon with a lot of TLC they will be soon enough

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: thought i'd share a picture of my plants!

Going down the line

o

Down the line..

o

My snake plant nh xbfs xwife stole an mistreated for the past year. I finally stole him back

o

Very nice..I love them all...They all look so healthy.
Thanks for sharing
Mike

o

Thank you for your compliment, I'm trying!

o

NIce collection. Like the mini sagauros in pots. Neat shapes. My mom has a sanseveria just like yours in the last pic still kicking around the patio for decades! It's almost immortal! A trait I like in plants. ;]

o

me too! IT ALMOST DIDNT SURVIVE luckily I stole him back from An xbf's Xwife who had stole him from his house and potted him in a huge pot with no drain holes and put fertilizer as a permanent pot topper on top of the worst soil you could ever use! he's still missing a few tops of his leaves and was in pretty bad shape but he's deff doing much, much better and im so glad he is!

I got a lot of cacti but I guess you can never have enough just hoping to find a nice long pot so I can repot a few of them inside with others instead of having a bunch of little pots everywhere but that's what happens when u grow them or cant decide what to do with them !

o

Forgot to add this little guy whose starting to flower, is this a Christmas/Easter cactus?? Im not good at remembering plant names cause i HAVE a lot!

o

Look what the bf bought for ME today! How cute!! Of course he got me the saddest looking one but with a little TLC he'll do fine and look beautiful in my collection above!!

o

The days just keep getting better, the nights are a little cool and I'm still having a hard time with just leaving my babies outside. ....just yet. So I'm doing the moving them outside in the afternoons when sunny toback artificial light inside during the nights.
I've Gotton a little braver by leaving the cacti and the semps outside on the sun porch, but still a lil iffy with the aloe's and sum of the other fuzzy and jelly like leaved succulents...am i worrying to much or do i have a good right to worry?
I kno it's like 40-30° outside at night usually, thoe tonight seems a little warmer but the NIGHT is still young!! So we'll see.... maybe I'm just a worry wart and i know ALL plants have different tolerance levels, you've ALL seen the pictures of my babies above, anyadvice if i should stop being a worried mother and leave them on the porch or put them in my display case greenhouse with the doors a little open.....or keep taking them inside when i feel it's a lil too cold for my mind to be at ease???

Would appreciate the advice, thanks

o

• Posted by bob61 8a shreveport (My Page) on
    Fri, May 9, 14 at 7:18

Nice collection you have. Guessing what the weather will do to our plants is always Tough to sort out. The weather this winter and spring has been up and down quite a bit. I'v found that cool weather short of freezing is a good thing for bringing out the color in succulents and cactus. As long as there is no frost involved I wouldn't be to worried about cool nights.

Bob

o

You have an Easter cactus sometimes called a spring cactus. The dead looking stick is Euphorbia milli one very tough plant, yours is far from dead.

I use a E. Milli it's not very pretty but never fails to grow as an outside tester it's already been outside 24/7 for the past two-three weeks under an open air farmers porch

I think you are being a bit more cautious than you need to with continuous inside outside movements. As you think doing this is the right thing to do (isn't wrong) but constant daily movements doesn't really help. Movements ( transitioning) should be gradually toward fuller sun for two to three weeks.

As mentioned before you can use your sun porch as an advantage but all plants like moving air as much as they like sun open up windows to use screens for a few days as well as screens after, at very least leave the door open.

For the lower New England and costal regions, maybe excluding northern Maine. Mothers day is the usual time when any of your plants would be safe from any frost that would cause any serious harm.

o

nomen_nudum - you made me look up "farmers porch." I guess since I grew up in farm country, we just called it a porch. LOL It's a great place for plants, tho, isn't it?

o

I believe that pic of just thorns on stems is not Euph milli.

I believe those are Alluadias which are not in leaf (a/k/a as dormant). I grow them both & the regularity & abundance of the thorns on those stems is NOT characteristic of Euph miliis (which I also grow).

I won't be commenting further on wintering the plants in the case as I'm one of a number of folks who have suggested that will not work for succulents, irrespective of your having the (tiny) doors open, too little air circulation.

Greenhouses w/ big open spaces & working windows have this issue, causing some of them to install large fans. How you think in that small space you won't have this problem is probably 'cause you don't know the issues.

o

Alluaudia procera Is what the spiky stick looking planT is yet I'm not sure if it's an American or madagascan cause I'm not sure what color the flowers are to determine...the sun porch is pretty open during the days and the display case greenhouse has a small computer fan that i put in it for the seedlings that are growing inside it.
Ma weather deff changes at the drop of a hat it is not dark and gray with wind and rain! And it was sunny and breezy yesterday!! This spring has deff been a hard one that's for sure! But if it's not below 45-35° i don't really take the plants inside unless its really windy where they can be knocked over and whatnot! Lets just hope the sun comes OUT soon!

Here's a picture of the huernia zebrina i just got for mothers DAY! Can't wait for this beauty to bloom!!

o

Side view of the huernia zebrina
(Please excuse predictive text)

o

Glad to hear you confirm the Alluadia ID. I'm not knowledgeable of their care much myself, I kind of foster parent these plants which were unwanted in my Plant Society.

I believe these are Madagascan & only Madagascan. Think they're unique to that location.

Sorry to ask but what pls. is this predictive text you mention?

o

Hahaha.I'm on a phone when using this site sooo when i type some times it changes the words i type into different words based in what the phone thinks I'm trying to say or write so at times what I'm writing or plant names don't get spelled right or make scents lol, but that's just what i meant by predictive text lol not a big deal.

That's so sad that not many people want the Alluaudia procera plants i think there very different and cute in there own way, it's funny that they are a succulent but don't store water in there leaves like many true succulents, I'm Just hoping mine can grow some leaves and eventually bloom! I haven't been that lucky with getting my cacti or succulents to flower or bloom just yet, except for the Easter cactus, but I'm crossing my fingers!!

o

Don't worry to much about the phone thing we are only human most of the time our brain will automaticly fill in the misworeded errros . Heck I use a qwerty keybord and even I have spelling, wording, puncuation & grammer problems.

Mispelt words where intentional to demo the power of our brains

Alluaudia procera: Thanks for the correction Pirate
Kitty; Cute to me means small, tiny or like a toddler. Alluaudia is anything but cute it can grow very tall Cultivating: They can be dry as it looks in the pic for a long time( years)They're from one of the spine forests of Madagasgar A south west (?) island that is part of Madagasgar has one of the spine forest with in it where Alluaudia grows ( naturaly) only in this limited area but doesnt grow naturally on mainland Madagasgar which is also an island.

Just as a guide Early AM about 2 -3 AM flush the entire pot and soil with water ( about a gallon) IF or when the day gets hot. Litteralty it'll show it's leafs and do it's thing by the next day, watering is done untill next time.

o

Those geographical details are not true for Alluaudia or its kin Didieria, nomen. Yes, they're endemic to Madagascar, but not on a separate island - they're mostly in the SW portion of the island of Madagascar.

This post was edited by cactusmcharris on Fri, May 9, 14 at 23:56

o

Haha Well either way Thats more then i would know about where it grows and whatnot. I do seem to find the spiky different looking plants cute for some reason, maybe NOT cat or toddler cute, but cute in its own dried up spiky way!!!

I'll try and rain storm it out And see if that helps the leaves to start growing faster OR atleast more then they are NOW!

I'll post more pictures when i figure it out!

o

Hold on there, I'd read up on it & domancy. I would NOT water it before you read up on it. May not be its time to wake up yet.

I'd think twice or thrice before taking cultural advice from someone who doesn't even recognize what kind of plant it is.

Some plants when watered while dormant will die quickly, so I'd do some reading FIRST.

(Since mine's got a few leaves up top, I do water it every couple of wks.)

o

mines got a few leaves on the bottom, i've only given him a quick spritz from my spray bottle because he was outside during the very damaging windstorms we had a while ago and all the leaves got blown off of him, all the other pnes at the shop had leaves and even flowers so I would assume he's quite awake if the rest were.

also, i've noticed my Easter cactus is growing new leaves and the new growth is causing the flower buds to fall off?? is that normal or is there something wrong with my it? this is my first cactus gone to bloom so I'm not to sure if that happens or if something is wrong and needs to be done, I would hate to see all those beautiful red flowers drop off and die in the soil of the plant instead of opening up and soaking up the very rare sunny days were having this weekend in MA
suggestions? comments? answers? help?

o

It's a warm sunny DAY TODAY! Was hoping i could go to a nursery today to grab some newplants (as if i needed more plants LOL! ) but since i don't drive I'm stuck at my house working

o

. Nothing to worry about with your EC as it had flowered over the past( 2-3 weeks?). It's hard work to push out new growth at the same time as it flowers dropping them would be normal. Unless it's shedding it's foliage could mean something else.

General guide: I think it's silly how one person( Muah) should be wording things here to suite someone's else's ideals. I didn't mean and never said you had to rush into watering today. I meant when it rains it pours with the understanding that it has to rain sooner or later on an Island off of mainland Madagascar.

They can be tricky, tricky in that they sometimes go dormant for a few weeks, sometimes for several months ( and can handle drought for years) Sometimes they don't go dormant at all but would rest for a few weeks and then break new leaves out on it's own with very little water from air to start again.

Not to sound to off beat your not in Madagascar and the plant doesn't know it's in Mass (It doesn't know it's correct ID either) It's about where you are and how you treat them that could allow some odd times of the year growing.
Even after you read more in depth cultivating info ( from where ?) as you should that particular plant will be oddly unique in it's growing habits ( cultivating) year to year in your home and respond to how you treat it when you treat it etc.

A few plants act the same way as yours examples in succulents can include Pachypodium, Adenium and some Euphorbia can ( SOMETIMES) break dormancy at odd times of the year. People who cultivate these don't nesseceraly have to be there with watering wands in hand It's tougher to explain about odd dormancy VS. what plants is breaking dormancy when Sometimes it means watering more, sometimes watering with less and sometimes not at all.
Dont worry about anybody here plants just take time and practice let them tell you what to do. ( Be it with non englsh & poor grammer mixed with poor spelling they will make a point. )

o

You're passing off wrong information and you think that's OK? That's what I get from Google Translate anyway.

o

I read that after a rainstorm they start to grow there leaves. So I'm gonna maybe create a fake storm and see if that does something if not, well then I'll just go back to the usual care of my babies and just cross myffingers!

o

NEW plant's TODAY!
(Plus a few clippings..shhhhhhhh)
Any one have any idea what kinda aloes the 2 in the back and the 1 in the 2nd row is, and what the other CRAZY looking thing is on the right of IT? ??

I believe the last one is a curly enchevia (or something like that!)
I also got a huge euphorbia (i believe) , And a jade plant! I'll post pics don't worry!

Also got some rooting powder hopes it will HELP With the proping that seems to NEVER work when i try to do it on purpose, any idea if Bontone brand is good to use and how do i use it?

o

The last two are echeveria nodulosa and echeveria runyonii "topsy turvy" respectively.

o

Lol i guess i was close with 'curly'.......Not!

Here's the euphorbia, i think? Any idea what kind?

o

Here's the jade plant!

*Please excuse the mess in the back of some of the pictures!*

o

Nice plants!
they didn't come with names?

Yes, the last one is a euphorbia, but I am blank on the exact one at the moment. lol
And your aloe looks like a hybrid, hard to say on them.

May I ask what kind of mix that they are in? I don't see much in the way of coarse material to help with drainage.. Grit, granite, perlite? anything like that in it?

JoJo

o

Ric to the Rac or is it just Ric Rac?

Kittikat, thats a nice plants collection you've put together there, you have quite a variety. Keep the pictures coming.

Greg

o

KitKat,

Do you have kids or pets?

You should pls. read up on Euphorbias & their sap which for some varieties the sap can be a known skin irritant. I believe this is Euph. Trigona & MAY be one of the skin irritating ones.

Pls. read up on this BEFORE repotting that plant & maybe wear gloves to work on it. You must wash carefully after handling & DO NOT touch your face, esp. mucous membranes before washing thoroughly.

o

Yes, looks like that is what it is . Thanks Karen.. It was bugging me, I used to have this plant. lol...
Yes, it is one of the ones with bad sap!

JoJo

o

No kids unfortunatly, and my animals aren't where i stay at the moment, sooo as long as i didn't gnaw on any of them I'm sure I'll be OKAY, thanks for looking out guys/girls!

As with most plants they ALL had the standard CACTI/SUCCULENT written on them ALL and ALL the aloes just said aloe on them.....drives me CRAZY

But i got them ALL for under 20$ so it was a good day!!

o

That is a good deal! I hate it too when they don't have names on them!

o

Forgot to answer, the soil got bark, sand, peat and a bunch of other stuff in it I'm gonna try and repot eventually...... cause they didn't have many pots in the sizes i needed :-(

o

I kno. Drives ME crazy when the tag just says "house plant" cacti/succulent on it....then it's off to here abs Google to figure out what i bought!?!?!

I got some rooting powder as well, any advice on how i use the stuff would be great, need the extra oomph with propping leaves and cuttings... (took a bunch of cuttings too! Shhhhhhhh ;-). .)

o

Here's some Sempervivum i forgot to ad on here, ones actually about to flower. ..i hope!

o

This one's about to flower soon!......i hope!?!!

o

This one's about to flower soon!......i hope!?!!

o

Here's another one i saved from the trash can at a SBS i Beleive its a grafted cacti i forget the name of it, i usually stay away from grafted plants but this one pulled ar my heart strings and i gave in (like i usually do) And brought him home with ME too!

o

Pls. understand if you wish these plants to survive, you need to repot them NOW, that mix is awful. The pot size isn't nearly as important as the proper mix, or you'll have drainage problems & potential root rot.

The E trigona needs lots more perlite too, I'd suggest minimum one third more, better yet, 50/50 perlite to mix (even if using C&S mix).

o

Kittie
I agree with Pirate girl. That mix is a nightmare waiting to happen . :-/ Sand and peat being 2 of the worst enemies.

And sad as it is.. even though a product is labeled "Cactus and Succulent" mix, it still isn't good enough.

You need to at least add perlite as Pirate girl suggested, or the plants will most likely end up rotting. :-/

o

I use a c&s mix and i always add perlite, but since in MA they only sell bags as big as my couch for 50-80$ a bag it's gonna have to be a few days for me too be able to order a small bag online for Cheaper, unfortunatly that's the best i can do at the moment, unless any good plant Samaritan wants to send me a bag of some of what they use or some plain perlite....which i highly doubt would happen (unfortunatly) And it being 11:30pm there's no bank open to put my money on my card from work to be available right away to buy anything tonight. I figure of the plants have survived this long they should be fine till I'm able to figure things out, i know that's NOT what any one likes to hear but that's just how it goes sometimes *shrugs*

I'll have to cross my fingers till then...

Any advice on how to use the rooting powder for my propped leaves and cuttings?? Should i wait to dry the leaves out then dip the ends in the powder... or can i do it right away?
Or do i have to cut a little bit off the end of the leaf I'm trying to prop??

I was lucky to get away today with some leaves that were on some other plants i don't have and upon inspecting i noticed some already had roots growing!!! What luck! I feel a little guilty and naughty but I'm not they only one am i? Lol

o

Good Luck :-)

o

Thank you! I'll need all the help i can get with ALL these babies!

o

My bf brought this sad looking plant home for me to take care of TONIGHT! Very cute....can't remember the names of these for some reason...hmmmm...

o

Opuntia of some kind.

o

You are amassing a good collection KittieKAT. You may want to try growing succulents from seeds. You can get some of the rarer varietys very cheaply that way.
The source I use for seeds is ebay. Do research first because some seeds are harder then others to grow and always read seller feed back.

Also there are other sites besides ebay you can buy seeds from.

This post was edited by kuroc on Fri, May 16, 14 at 10:17

o

I've tried seeds but ma weather is so unpredictable I'm always afraid they won't grow. Thoe i have had luck with growing some non succulents like mimosa and cat nip! Still waiting on the carnivorous plant seeds, i might give succulents another try.. I've had very good luck with cacti as u can tell from my mini cacti

o

Some are starting to bud and lil babies can be seen in a few of my pots, I'm gonna have to do some major pot upgrading soon.. been thinking of getting a long window sil pot Thing to move my cacti from individual pots into a small little cacti garden type thing, anyone have any advice or experience in doing something like this? If so by the look at my pictures any ideas as to what would look good together and thrive together in the same pot. Thanks

o

Here's some of my plants i haven't showed yet, I'm thinking of making a hanging basket with succulents, any advice on what plants outta my collection would thrive together as well as look good together would be appreciated.

o

Sorry the lighting isn't good today

o

The rest

o

The rest excuse the lighting again

This post was edited by KittieKAT on Sun, May 18, 14 at 15:59

o

Love this snowflake cacti ghj had to take a close up...who said Africa didn't get snow? Lol

o

Love this snowflake cacti ghj had to take a close up...who said Africa didn't get snow? Lol

o

Euphorbia euphoria!

o

I'n the first picture, to the far left, what type of cacti is that? It really caught my eye. And all the others look very nice too

o

the hairy one? in the square pot?
that's an old man cactus I named "jay's dad" - cause it looks like my bf's friend Jay's father with his scraggly hair..
if I'm naming the wrong one describe it and ill see if kno what it is

o

Nice looking Euphorbia polygona Cv. 'snowflake'

Seen also is a very pourus mix suggestion

o

Just got some stuff they other day waiting for a sunnyday do some re-potting. What do you use in your mix?
I got standard cacti & succulent mix, perlite, pea pebbles and some other odds and ends.

Every time i go to the store i find it hard to pick out stones or rock type grit stuff for my plants. ..i know granite is usually good but not to sure. What do you use for a mix

o

When I made my own soil, I used cacti and suc soil, lava rock and pea gravel. I spent an hour or two hammering the lava rock to close to pea gravel size. Then I threw them in my round bucket and rolled it around for a while in hopes to make the sharp surfaces smooth. Then I threw in 25% lava, 25% pea graval and 50% succ soil and made the mixture. I live in an apartment and this was made in my cramped balcony. At the time there was a forest of tomatoes and other vegies including my succulents.

You have a nice collection, I didnt read your whole thread but looked at all the pics. You live in a studio? I dont see any balcony so are they all beside the window?

o

ILive in an apartment, on the second floor. I have a small enclosed Sun porch that houses my plant collection, the less cold hardy plants go inside my light up display case greenhouse i repurposed to hold my plants during colder nights and windy days then taken out every morning to get Sun and whatnot. It's been working pretty good d Despite everyone's leery responses on trying to gather info to build it.

o

No, I wasn't leery in my response at all, and I don't think the others who advised you against it were, either. We are and have been trying to give you the benefit of our experiences, and in spite of your lack of it you seem determined to prove us wrong. One again hopes that's not to the detriment of your plants.

o

I agree Cacutsmcharris ,
I read that thread.. and see a pattern. :-/ best of luck to the plants

o

I wasn't talking about people's responses on this site, i was more talking about my family and friends....which they have quickly taken back those comments when they come and see it.

o

And I've read a lot of good online info on creating it to help my plants thrive instead of die during the cold nights.

o

kk,

That's the problem when you use the word 'everyone'.

o

Ah, the joys of reading stuff online. No one can see a facial expression, words have no tone, and none of us are mind readers, lol.

Planto

o

Yup, but u still can tell if someone's being rude just by the words they choose to use and the way they choose to explain things to you.

o

Kittie,
Yes and no. I think some people just don't have the gift of "writing" when it comes to typing their responses. What may sound nice to me, may come across as rude to you, and vice versa. And there's always the fact that we can misinterpret someone's meaning through their selection of words.

You know how it is when you meet someone new, you may judge them at first by how they conduct themselves or how they talk and initially not like them, but once you get to know them, you end up liking them. At least that's how I am with folks.

Some people are being downright rude, I will agree with you there, but I can assure you that 99.9% of the folks on this forum (I've been around awhile) never intend to come across condescending or rude.

I've met some rude folks on GW and none of them were on this forum. I think that by people replying to posts, it shows that they care.

Planto

o

Yup, but u still can tell if someone's being rude just by the words they choose to use and the way they choose to explain things to you.

o

Huh, your comment appeared twice.

Planto

o

Yea i kno this site on my phone tends to have a mind of its own sometimes LOL

o

I agree and disagree, i just put it out that if no one's gonna play nice then to just not respond to my forum posts. I never realized how snippy People could be until i join this site...
But like you said assumptions are what make people treat certain pple a certain way. If only people could just help people without the "Pfft" And the "miss the obvious" comments

o

Maybe you could pls. define 'Pfft' as I'm guessing I'm not the only one who doesn't know what that means.

o

No.. your not alone Pirate girl :-)

o

Whoa there everyone. No need for the drama and accusations. This is a place for sharing plants and advice, isn't it? Take the drama to emails if you must and figure it out amongst yourselves.

o

pfft - an ejaculatory sound of dismissal.

o

Ah..got it. :-) Thanks Jeff

o

That is how some people like to be twiltye, you'll see for yourself. You tend to get more attitude then help from some people on here.

And to answer your question "Pfft" is a sound ssomeone might make when saying something in a snarky and rude way when disapproving in what someone else might say...or thinking there stupid.

o

Kat, I've been on plenty of forums. It's nothing new. You could at least try to act like adults.

o

Kittie,
I'm not sure you understood what I was trying to say... I was trying to say that people don't always rub you right the first time around, but I don't know of anyone on this forum that would intentionally be rude to you. That, despite how anyone may have come across, I don't believe that it was intentionally meant to make you feel bad. But, you are allowed by all means to make your own opinions of people.

I can't help but feel like I helped open a can of worms here.

Planto

o

Not to be rude but as suggested be the adult and choose, pick one or the other.
You can I agree or you disagree the best of both words isn't an option.
Late to respond to your soil question regarding E polygona snow flake unintentional rudeness on my part.

Reality lends me to think there is a very slim chance you have the same mix ingredients for the mix I use for mine.

I'll need to take a few pics for you to picture demo with what you do have on hand that could work for yours in a day or two..

In the mean time more grit recourses for you

Dry stall found at farming feed and supply stores
granite chips may also be there as well
use your local area yellow pages and find an area hydroponics specialty garden and supply store they usually carry pumice ( call ahead)

What I agree with is your passion for plants. What I disagree with is the self will that drives you to do things in an unequal manner to your plant passion. ( In my opinion you aren't rude but stubborn is a maybe)

This post was edited by nomen_nudum on Tue, May 20, 14 at 23:37

o

Ooh im totally stubborn, but when i ask questions i don't like having a feed of people rather pick me apart then help me. Instead of saying you need a different mix they could suggest using something. Which some do, but most don't. Also most people judge my mix by the top of the soil which in most cases is not what is through out the pot just used to cover the top of the pot. Grittier mix supplies are harder to find in my town unless i buy a brick and smash it myself.
But i have some pea pebbles w/ sand. Or without, perlite, long fibered shpagnum moss, a cactus and succulent mix and some of this pictured not sure what kinda Rock it is

o

What are WE thinking flowers or pads?
Either would be fine, but I'd love some flowers...soon

o

I still say pads (as previously stated).

Planto

This post was edited by plantomaniac08 on Wed, May 21, 14 at 16:44

o

Definitely pads

o

Flower or pads.... can"t be wrong time will tell

Nice porous material, a bit big for me but would work and does.

Don't take the following information many of us had read the wrong way but if you had been growing Lithops for "a long time" or " years " I would think and agree that you would already know how to water and wouldn't need to ask. Some people are very likely to read some of the words you typed as " fibbing" Some of us can over look fibs and carry on with the plant growing mission at hand others can't.

Personally I'm not sure why others rub salt into the wombs of some while enjoying informative plant growing complements from others. What I see is that your plants need help which is what this forum is intended for.
Why some folks can read as unhelpful to others at times in my opinion... Well they know that
If you ask a mouse for a cookie and then the mouse will ask for.....
Who is asking for what might be the dilemma .
Example:
I gave you some resources for grits and material to help your pants and you already had some ?

Anyway's a picture by picture demo ( in story from) will do the rest

This is the pot I bought ( in reality somebody gave it to me )
 photo 001_zpsa4ff1693.jpg

This is the mesh screen I put into the bottom of the pot to cover the drainage mine came from a bonsai shop but you can find JUST AS GOOOOD as it at the crafting store near the hook and rug area & as you can imagine the same crafting store always stocks terra cotta planters pots as well.

photo 002_zpsbdd34619.jpg

This is the material I had pre sifted to put into the pot that holds the nylon mesh screen that openly covers the drainage on the bottom.
 photo 003_zps99e6b5d2.jpg

This is the ( somewhat off topic) plant that sits in a pot that holds the same sifted material mix that has a nylon mesh screen on the bottom that openly covers the drainage on the bottom.

And then they all lived happily ever after ?

o

I have a massive prickly pear in my yard putting out new pads at various stages of development if you want me to snap some pictures of how it looks.

o

Just lost my whole post...Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Sure if I'd luv to see twiltye. .

Nomen, yes i have some material. .. my lithops were in a 1..5 inch pot with pea pebbles on the bottom, and a c+s mix with perlite mixed with sum of those little gray stones then tpped with plain c+s mix. I changed the pot size and they are doing fine sooo idk what was up? They are in pea pebbles and c+s mix ..still haven't Gotton any good advice on how to release the left over soil from the root ball(??) But..idk ( to rinse the roots...or NOT, that i is the question! )
Also, just wanted to know, using the meterial i have how should i mix it in parts. ..Sri i can have an idea forwhen i re-pot?
Usually i top my plants with plain c+s soil or pea-pebbles or orchid bark depending on the plant usually if it's big or top heavy.

o

For rinsing the roots I use a squirt bottle set to shoot a stream instead of spray. Would use the hose but there isn't a really good setting for ours and it's on the other side of the house. Between the bottle and manually picking material off, it's seemed to work pretty well for me so far. The bulk of the soil just falls off if you sort of knead the root ball in your hands and from there it's just detangling roots and squirting loose bits off. Of course a lot of roots get lost, but I figure if it's possible to chop off all the roots and have them grow back, then losing some of the finer stuff shouldn't be a big deal.

o

Okay cause some people said they didn't get Good esults with removing lithops root balls with water so i just left at is till i figured it out, or a better way to do so

o

Omg... I hope everyone is getting there plants fertilized in the process of all this bs flying across the post. Sometimes WE just need to go to the next post if we don't agree with the comments that are mentioned instead of owning them.

Nothing is that serious and sometimes we can learn through trial & error.
Lets just enjoy our gardens, Greg

o

I totally agree, i don't kno how this forum became more about causing drama then about encouraging people And Helping them with there problems. I don't kno where this all started, if i said something or someone else said something but regardless who started what it needs to end, this forum was originally created so i could show off my plants to whom cares and for my questions to be answered, how it became a free for all is beyond ME but it's time everyone cuts the crap and either can play nice or not feed fuel to the fire. Everyone joined this site in hopes that they could be encouraged to do the thing they love to do and to get help with problems they are having, as well as share pictures of there progress.

I don't kno why i feel that I'm UN wanted on this site by some people on here, but your opinions of me should have nothing to do with my forum that's about sharing pictures of my plants, if you don't like ME then just don't respond to my forum. ( And fyi I'm not talking about ANYONE in particular I'm just making a statement)

Anyways, for those who are interested my bf just got me a gift TODAY! I'll post pictures soon I'm super excited!

o

Here's the new euphobia stick cactus my bf gave me tonight, it came with a scary visitor. ...a big a$$ mini tarantula looking spider!! I had a freak OUT. . Then i got the spider away from the plant and prayed he doesn't take vengeance on me tonight by comming Into my room and biting me =-O :-[

o

Here's another picture, for whatever reason he was potted in just pure hay looking stuff...like horse hair??? Gotta do major repot on this guy, hope i got enough stuff and a nice big pot for him :-D

o

Might be a hay or alfalfa for some Euphorbias and speaking of feeding it's a fine feed indeed. Yours can ( or could) be culiavted with what it is already in for a while, there might be a Humus soil in there as well.

Euphorbia reminder a white milky colored toxic sap can be excreted from them. The sap can cause rash with sever burning of the skin, and if exposed to may cause blindness of the eyes Avoid contact where you may have open sores on skin. Clean water misting the leaking sap can slow it down.

This post was edited by nomen_nudum on Thu, May 22, 14 at 9:57

o

KittieKat, Nice friends you have there to gift you a pencil cactus, I was just thinking tho that plant isn't that fussy about soil but I know, I know the mother instincts kick in and moms just roll out the red carpet everytime Lol...

And that was the 2nd WARNING you've recieved about the milky sap so be aware ok girl. And Oh by the way we love you on here and your pictures. Sometimes people just had a bad day so they tend to unload on the forum so I think they call that "It's just life."

Enjoy your plants, Greg

o

Yea i know about the sap, but I'm pretty sure ALL eurphobias have bad sap so I'm screwed if i ever run outta food and think gnawing on one of these will.be OKAY! Lol

Yes, the mothering Is in deed already starting, let the red carpet roll! - lol I'm just happy that spider is gone so i don't have to worry about dropping the plant when trying to do a re-pot, anyone who has one of these know a good mix for this plant should be be gritty or just the usual c&s w/ perlite? Also please give me an idea outta the materials i already have or would need to get for the mix and how to measure in parts. Thanks again Greg (hijole )

o

"but I'm pretty sure ALL eurphobias have bad sap"

Not true at all, but probably not a bad caution to observe.

To clarify, the caution is about just HANDLING THEM, then touching one's mucuous membranes, especially on the face; no mention of eating these plants was made in either of the cautions.

o

My correction: (i meant) ALL MY* euphobias have bad sap***

And talking about me trying to eat them WAS a joke...but most succulents are labeled OR written online "not for human or some animal consumption" thus why i said that. I kno you're not Suppost to touch the sap to your face and eyes after handling....

o

Adding to PG's comment, they do have a bit of a stickiness to them when touched, hence the warning. And not trying to beat a dead horse here, but the white sap is caustic too. Don't be afraid of the plant or propagating it, just be careful.

Planto

o

Rain is upon is in MA! Why can't we just get some long lasting sunshine already!!!!!?!?!!!!?!!

o

UI'm NOT afraid o my plant's i have yet to see any Sap leeking from any where on the plant's- plus my thumb is usually black when it comes to propping. ...usually it only happens by accident, but when i try to do it..it NEVER usually works lol

o

I wasn't implying you were afraid. Some folks get nervous around this plant because of its toxic sap and don't want to mess with it. Unless you break off a "leaf" or damage a stem, you won't see any of the white sap. But, wash your hands if you're touching it period.

Planto

o

Oh i do, thanks for your concern thoe hunnie :-D

Just checked My bowl of clippings and noticed ( for once) i actually succeeded to getting clippings i purposely tried to prop! !!....(instead of the one's That just decide to take root next to there mother plants) super excited, looks like I'll have some mini green sedum some kinda enchivas a few I'm not too keen on at the moment. Super happy! !

o

Nice collection you are building up. Try not to be worried about the temps and lack of big bright sun the nite time cooler temps do plants a real big favor and help with easier full sun transitioning.

Reminder keep the air moving though your enclosed porch setting, misting used for watering could be something to concider as well.

Speaking of rain for crying out loud send some over I''m tired of looking at overcast dismal clouds.

o

If i could send you our clouds even just a few i so would!, my porch had open windows cause there broken LOL and i have a fan inside the display case greenhouse, i use a spray bottle to water my plants so that's always on hand! I always get worried about the softer plants like some of my aloes and lithops. ...etc...etc cause they feel so squishy in the cold weather that i get nervous that there dying or gonna get scars or take to much water from the air, but the display case helps to keep them normal and warm enough to not freeze.

By the way my clippings are getting more and more roots'! I also saw some rooting right from the broken part where it was attached to the plant still!?!?! So funny!! Can't wait to plant them ALL!

Also, check out my other grafted E. Lactea crest....is that a colorful monster on that stalk or what?!?

Here's a top view shot to show some of the colors and size, but it really does it NoOoOooOoo justice!

o

Has good potential is sort of a monster now but wait another decade. I know pics don't do much justice.

If you have any" time" on your hands don't be afarid to ask, you can have em

o

Ooooh look at the adorable rooted babies!
Those are looking good Nomen, not sure if you're offerin ME any of those you got there, since I'm relatively EASY to tease, LOL- but if YOU are im sure i could make some room!! I just actually potted some of my clippings TODAY, the mini sedum is growing roots everywhere and a few of this weird mystery plant i have started rooting where one of the leaves ripped so i did some surgery and am seeing what ot will actually become on its own (without already being abused before hand when i purchased it) sooo we'll SEE!

o

Looks like the sun's going down on this nice day...let's just hope it continues tomorrow, I'm so over this rain and cold!

o

Yes you can have them. Kind of sssssssslllloooooooooowwww to grow ....Click on my pro to send a private email where they can be mailed. Would of sent you an email your settings need to be adjusted.

o

Will DO! I didn't kno my settings didn't show my address!?!?! Then again, I'm NOT to computer savvy LOL. Let me kno you receive the message last time someone was gonna send me something i don't think they ever got MY messages. :-(

o

I kno this is a little off topic...but *shrugs* whatever!
Guess whose bf got her a motto scooter! MINE!!
Sooo now i have transportation to get to the plant stores. ..as long as i don't kill myself..that is! Lol super happy finally i won't be stir crazy stuck in the house!!! My collection is about to get even bigger I'm assuming

o

Kittie,
Are you sure you can fit all those new potential plants on a scooter? Maybe you could get a little trailer to attach to it (not sure if that's possible). ;)

Planto

o

Saved this bunch of succulents from the trash bin today at my local super market, Any names on what each is will be appreciated, just so im right. Even tho the pots got a draining hole in the bottom I'm thinking I'm gonna repot them into separate pots with my c &s (Perlite+) mix instead of the rocks and whatever is in it. And these two big things fit inside my scooter seat an still had room to fit my purse! Hehehe! !

Other one i got is pictured below, yes there's 2...some of the same plants With a diff one each.

o

Here's the other one i saved from the garbage

o

Unrelated message** my grampy's wife Just passed away today, after she had a complication with the anesthesia while getting a knee surgery that resulted in a stroke then a heart attack, she wasn't breathing on her own and her family decided to pull the plug...too every one's amazement she started breathing on her own, she was moved outta icu. ..we though she'd make it, then i get the call this morning. :-( :-\ :'(

4 family members in less then a year ..

.R.I.P Marjorie my Grampy loved YOU very much

o

Sorry to hear about your loss today KittieKat. the loss of a loved one is always a hard chapter in life but God gives us the strength to go forward.
May your heart be filled with peace and may the God of all comfort be with you at this time.

Greg

o

Thank you greg :-)

Anyone have any ideas on the i.d`s of the new plants i saved above? ? Just so i kno what they are instead of thinking I'm right when i might NOT be lol

o

Guess everyone's a little busy with there own collections...

o

Got a Few plants TODAY! A few common one's i didn't have yet... but still beautiful. I'll post pictures l later. ..sooo cold inn MA riding my scooter to get to the store was an experience! Haha

o

Bless your compassionate heart for saving abandoned plants. I always have knee-jerk reaction when I see plants sagging in dried up pots or on the floors in stores. I always want to save them. But, I can't bring too much home, atm.

Also sorry to read about your loss. My condolences to you and your family.

o

Trust me i wish i could just leave them there like everyone else but i would feel so bad when i got home that i would be kicking myself all night.
Thank you for your condolences, i appreciate IT.

It's really cold HERE in MA, God do WE need some Sun and heat!! Hope it gets sunny soon over here or my plants aren't gonna be very happy.

Sooo still looking for the I.Ds of the two succulent garden type things i saved from the garbage they other day the pictures are the ones with the aloe mixed in with a bunch of others.. any ideas as to the names just sooo i can call them what they actually are would be great.

I'll post pictures of the newbies i got TODAY soon

o

Got these today before they tossed everything out for new inventory in a few day's, couldn't resist..

o

Here is the rest i got today before they tossed um

o

Sunny day today, hope it lasts but knowing Massachusetts weather I'm pretty sure it won't *shrugs* but what can you do, I'm pretty sure mother nature hates US over here in MA. I'm just gonna get on my scooter and see how that the day goes... whoknows maybe I'll find some more plants that needa home, you never kno!

o

I have the hardest time in winter with those echeveria. Some are really tuff. Like Topy Turby. Had that one for many years and it just gets better every year. Your Euph. trigona is the red kind due to the red in the leaves. If given more sun, it will deapen up on you. Correctly call Euph. Red Euphorbia Trigona Tree. If possible, could you email me on a plant I saw and liked.
Stush

o

What plant was that hunnie?

o

Of course after watering my plant's the Sun disappears and the clouds roll in and the thunder is about to begin....really!! Common!

Can't we just have summer NOW

o

Its funny cause the trigona gets full Sun and the leaves are the only red on it that's why I'm kinda iffy as to what kind it is...but then again most of my plant's are mutants Any how..Lol

Tried e-mail ing you stush, don't kno if YOU got it I'm not that tech savvy LOL

If u tell me what plant YOU like I'll let you kno if i have another or a clipping or a pup or something to give you.

Beautiful sunny day TODAY, makes me wanna take a ride to the plant store and see what misfits I'll come home with!
-Lets just hope they ALL fit in my scooter!

o

This was a broken off piece of pad that my plant had in it when my bf bought me it, i honestly didn't think it would root or anything..then i noticed some small roots growing outta where the spines usually are, then today i picked it up outta my cutting pot and this is what i found...how do i even plant THIS? And were will the pads grow its Like this on both sides

This post was edited by KittieKAT on Sat, May 31, 14 at 22:50

o

Any ideas ANYONE? ?

o

Guess I'm gonna have to open a new thread

This post was edited by KittieKAT on Sun, Jun 1, 14 at 10:37

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here