Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jojosplants

Mammillaria Plumosa ~ A little help with a mix for it...

jojosplants
9 years ago

I'm getting ready to repot mine. I thought I had lost it over the winter , but it seems to be making a come back! Yay!!! It's my favorite and I really hope it makes a good come back!!!

I was planning on putting it in Gritty mix ( equal parts of bark , turface and granite) But was wondering if this plant needs a tiny bit of potting mix thrown in. It has a lot of fine roots.

I am taking it out of the nursery mix, which in now what looks like peat turned to powder , :-/ and pumice.

Care info I have found says well draining mix and keep well watered in summer, she will be sheltered from all rain in winter.

JoJo

Comments (12)

• bob61
    9 years ago

Don't know if it should need any special treatment than any other Mamm. This is what I use one part each perlite, chicken grit the granite type , and core. If you can't find core just use some topsoil sold at H.D. just the cheap stuff. nothing with peat in it. I also screen the wood chips out of it. The only thing I am care full about with plumosa is I don't let water collect under the spines or in this case fluff of the plant in winter. I know just about everyone has a soil mix for there cactus and this works for here in the humid south. Some one in a more dry atmosphere will have a different one I'm sure. Hope this helps.

Bob

• jojosplants
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Bob,
    Thank you for your help. I don't have coir, and have have heard too many night mares to try it. :-/

almost all my other plants are in the mix I listed, and do well. I have a few other mamm's but they haven't been moved in years, so I don't really remember the roots.

This one just seemed to have a lot of fine roots, so I wasn't sure about what mix for it.

Everything I have read says they are prone to rot if in a mix that stays moist for a length of time. I don't know how it survived this far in the mess that it is in. lol

I found some info that suggests the mix be at least 50% pumice, which I have, but not sure what the other 50% should be.

JoJo

• nil13
    9 years ago

I have my mams in pumice with 10% calcined clay.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    9 years ago

JoJo, a gritty type mix, perhaps with extra Perlite to displace moisture? I've never grown a Mamm., but I've seen folks overwater them :-)

Josh

• jojosplants
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Nil13,
    Thank you for sharing that. I may try that over the summer after I get a few more plants.
    But for now, I use and have faith in the gritty mix I use for others, so would like to stick to it for this plant.

Josh,
    Thank you,
    I have standard 1-1-1 made up , I will add some more to it.

I have over watered a few other types, and this one ended up too dry over the winter because I didn't get it out of the peat mix.

I've had this plant almost 2 yrs and for the life of me don't know why I didn't move it out of this mix sooner. :-/

JoJo

This post was edited by jojosplants on Thu, May 15, 14 at 11:22

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    9 years ago

THAT is one touchy mam. I've killed them twice. So strange that dead ones are not any different looking then living..until they blow away in a wind.
    Not a plant to take winter rains well.

• jojosplants
    Original Author
    9 years ago

stanofh,
    I guess I got lucky with it so far.. and luck runs out..lol.. so that being the need of a great mix. lol..

I actually thought she was dead after such a dry winter, but gave it a good drink anyway and was shocked to see it plump back up. lol...

It will be totally sheltered from winter rain.

• jojosplants
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok. She's all tucked in,
    Well that's odd the picture from my phone posted sideways! UGH! first time trying from the phone. :-/ I will get another pic with my camera.

This post was edited by jojosplants on Thu, May 15, 14 at 17:44

• jojosplants
    Original Author
    9 years ago

In a 4" pot.

• leisurely
    8 years ago

Just saw the post and was wondering if your plant was doing well. Nice job re-potting but it looks like your pot is a little deep. This Mammillaria has less problems when grown in a shallow pot.

• richardiraha12
    7 years ago

This thread is helpful. Of course i'd pick a difficult mammillaria as my first cactus ever. Lol. What got me interested was the edible fruit of some varieties. Also i heard plumosa blooms were fragrant as well. Im in fort lauderdale florida and will be growing indoors on a windowsill. Any advice?