Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Attn: Noki 'Red Jade' + Cart-jumpers!

Posted by rosemariero z11/24 So Calif (My Page) on
Thu, May 16, 13 at 15:10

It took me a while to find where you posted this, Noki:
~~~~
RE: Pictures of my Jade collection (Stush's thread)

Posted by noki on Sun, May 12, 13 at 22:21

Jade question... I bought a small Altman plant that was just labeled "Jade Plant Red"

What do you think is the proper name for this cultivar?
~~~~~~~~~~
I had seen one at HD last week & wondered the same thing. I resisted getting it at the time, but the other day it pushed to be a cart-jumper. I'm curious if it is a new cultivar or some other just renamed. I have to say, I have not seen one colored up like this. It will be interesting to see if it holds its color throughout the year.
It is tagged Crassula argentea, Jade Plant 'Red' (as if that is the cultivar name, Red). Should be ovata, not argentea.

Click for larger views
Did your plant look like this?

photo DSC_0021RedJadeCrassula_zps90fcc1b9.jpg

Other cart-jumpers...could not resist this HUGE Echeveria...I believe I saw elsewhere last month & JUST took a pic of it with my cell phone then...'Lotus'...as well as a variety of sux (a couple names I'm checking out) to keep it company on the ride home.

photo DSC_0002EcheveriaLotus_zps91f7fa86.jpg  photo DSC_9983_zpseaaf9b27.jpg

*Notice I did NOT post this on the collector/hoarder thread! Hee hee! snicker photo snicker.gif

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Attn: Noki 'Red Jade' + Cart-jumpers!

he he indeed😆

o

I love that "color". I've been looking for a jade. And I just feel in love with that red!!!! I'm hoping I can find it here!!

o

What a beautiful Jade! That red is amazing!

I also had a large Echevaria jump in my cart. $7 from Walmart with the clay pot.

o

Teisa, where is "here" (what part of country)? The company listed on the green pot & tag is Smart Planet (Drought Tolerant Plants). Do they distribute to any stores near you? I'm thinking it's a new cultivar (but don't know for certain).

Beautiful Echeveria, Laura! Nice find! Did they give it a name?

o

Great cart jumpers, ladies - for a chance to have a few of those!

Laura, if you bottom-water that Ech (and don't let inquisitive fingers touch it, of course), its leaves will retain the bloom longer and more heavily. Such a great looking plant, it would have been my choice, too. Love the NWC.

o

To, no ID on the Ech.

Thanks for the bottom watering info, Jeff. Learn something new every day!

o

Very nice!
That Jade is showing an unusually red leaf. If it is a new variety, even better - makes it fun to try and keep up with 'em ;-)

Josh

o

Very nice color. I wonder how many new varieties you'd end up with if you just sowed a batch of C. ovata seed. I would guess there'd be quite a bit of variation if you could succeed in growing a good number of them... next project! I actually thought about it a few months ago when my daughter grabbed some flowers from a Jade and wound up with a handful of seed.

o

If you do, and come up with some new cultivars, Ryan...you be sure to let us know! =)

o

Nice cart jumpers!! I want to shop where you all do....
kathi

o

I am wondering if my 'Rubra' jade is the same as this Red Jade...Here is a baby growing from a leaf...

Christopher

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here