Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
twiltye

I think I just killed most of my cuttings

twiltye
9 years ago

My mom's hired cleaning people and they're generally bad at not totally rearranging my things, and they were supposed to be here about an hour ago. So I put my cuttings outside hoping that the translucent lid would be enough shelter from the sun and it was a HUGE mistake. And now most of the leaves are pale and sunburnt and I feel bad. I should have known better from the last time I tried to do the same thing.

They're inside again. This was completely avoidable. The ones with leaves and roots might might be okay, or just as burnt as everything else. It's hard to tell. I'm not asking for help or anything. Just annoyed with myself haha

Comments (10)

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    9 years ago

Generally sunburn doesn't kill succulent plants, but it can make them unsightly for a while until they grow out of it - some do not, however. Nevertheless, I think it's something most of us have done at one time or another.

• twiltye
    Original Author
    9 years ago

With the echeveria leaves, they go translucent and squishy and then die without propagating, I think? I haven't been very successful this far but the leaves I took from my most recent plant already had tiny rosettes and roots, but everything else is pretty much dead.

I just wish my mom hadn't made me all stressed about tidying my room and getting everything out of the way, like she always does. And now it's noon and the spot the leaves were in is shaded and the cleaning people aren't here yet so I could have just kept them inside without harm.

• Sundewd
    9 years ago

They aren't paid to rearrange things- if it were me, they would be threatened with, "move my plants, lose your paycheck". That's pretty sorry, tbh.

• twiltye
    Original Author
    9 years ago

To be fair, they're wonderful people and my room has an overabundance of books and mostly sturdy objects. So they usually stack those up. The cuttings are the only thing I'd prefer not squashed--and all my potted plants are safely outside. Last time they mostly just put my light tray of dirt on top of them, so they were pretty much unharmed. This time I thought I'd move them out of the way. Unfortunately.

Cleaning always gives me such anxiety one way or another.

• twiltye
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Updates on my various cuttings

{{gwi:548984}}
    These are the ones that cooked. They haven't shriveled up yet (except one, which was growing from a mostly dead leaf already) and I'm not sure I can see any new growth. The roots look almost okay.

{{gwi:532741}}
    The same day that happened, I pulled off some Graptoveria Moonglow leaves to propagate and replace the leaves I'd killed. This time just left them on a piece of paper in a box, no water, just indoor light. And look! You can barely see in the photo but the first three on the bottom have some really tiny growth. The biggest has about four roots going out, the second has a single leaf, and the third has a leaf and roots growing.

{{gwi:548986}}
    Lastly, dropped leaves I might have grabbed from the nursery, which had already been developing roots when I found them. Top is E. Pearl von Nuremburg and bottom is E. Chroma, which seems to have exploded tons of roots and what looks like three stems with rosettes. The Pearl von Nuremburg is growing slower, but I find the one giant leaf it has funny.

• spapa
    9 years ago

The ones that cooked should be fine, as long as they have plantlets with roots they should make it. I've had cuttings that put out plantlets quickly and then shrivel up right away, but the 99% of them make it as long as they have some roots out. Your leaves aren't even completely shriveled, so you should be fine!

• twiltye
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That's a relief! I'm glad I kept them. It was a good sign when they outlived the other cutting. I was just so frustrated, and the tray was hot all the way through from just an hour or two in sun.

• flowerpottipper
    9 years ago

I clean homes for my job and we do not rearrange anything unless asked to, but if something is in the way, we carefully move it and try very hard to put it back where it was. Next time put it in a spot that doesn't need dusting/cleaning, or ask them nicely to not clean where they are...and them being late is not good, tell your mom to fire them lol.

• jojosplants
    9 years ago

They're looking good!
    Congrats on all the little roots!

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    9 years ago

I always hated for some one to clean up after me. My room was my kindom. I did have it messy for a while then in one day would clean it all up and was good for another month. I must amit that after marriage, I got spoled to some one cleaning up after me. I still try to do so myself. Latter with kids, we had to do the cleaning up. Kids are gone and we are getting back as before.
    Sorry for the O.T.