Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
peterk312

Question about Ice Plant _See Photos

peterk312
11 years ago

I planted a few flats of Orange Ice Plant (Lampranthus) into long flower boxes. The soil is Miracle-gro potting mix with perlite added (about 1 part to 3) to make it more succulent friendly. The box faces south and gets sun almost the whole day. I water every day in the AM but only enough so that the soil feels dry about 2 inches down the next morning. I water with the tap water, which is a bit hard, but I add 1/2 strength Miracle-gro fertilizer.

{{gwi:549094}}

What I noticed now about two weeks after transplanting is a) the blooms are going away, and b) there are some buds that are turning yellow.

{{gwi:549095}}

This didn't happen before I transplanted when they were in the flats that they came in. In fact, they were blooming like mad then. Does anyone know what this means? Is it transplant shock? Iron deficiency? I know these are succulents but they are in a very hot location. Could the heat be stopping the blooming cycle?

Any advice is appreciated.

Comments (20)

• peterk312
    Original Author
    11 years ago

[Can't seem to imbed the images, trying again.]

I planted a few flats of Orange Ice Plant (Lampranthus) into long flower boxes. The soil is Miracle-gro potting mix with perlite added (about 1 part to 3) to make it more succulent friendly. The box faces south and gets sun almost the whole day. I water every day in the AM but only enough so that the soil feels dry about 2 inches down the next morning. I water with the tap water, which is a bit hard, but I add 1/2 strength Miracle-gro fertilizer.

{{gwi:549094}}

What I noticed now about two weeks after transplanting is a) the blooms are going away, and b) there are some buds that are turning yellow.

{{gwi:549095}}

This didn't happen before I transplanted when they were in the flats that they came in. In fact, they were blooming like mad then. Does anyone know what this means? Is it transplant shock? Iron deficiency? I know these are succulents but they are in a very hot location. Could the heat be stopping the blooming cycle?

Any advice is appreciated.

• peterk312
    Original Author
    11 years ago

One more time trying photos:

http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/5/23/1104895/IMG_7782%20%28Small%29.jpg

http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/5/23/1104895/IMG_7783%20%28Small%29.jpg

I tried to copy and paste in a new window and it worked.

I've never had so much trouble trying to post images. What's going on?

• peterk312
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Can't post the images. Worked before. What a drag.

• pennyhal
    11 years ago

Create an account on an online photo hosting website. You need this to upload and store pictures you want to share. Many hosting sites are free to use. I use PhotoBucket.

For GardenWeb you need the HTML code. Click on the HTML code and copy the photo.

Paste the photo into the message box. All you will see in the message box is code. To actually see your picture, you have to go to "Preview Message."

If you don't see your photo, go back and be sure that you have the HTML code.

Copy/Paste as many photos as you want into the message box, preview your message, then click submit.

After you do it a few times, you'll feel confident about it.

• rosemariero6
    11 years ago

About your pix 1st. Penny gives good advice! :) You may be able to see your pix where others can't if it is in a private album. Your site does seem to allow hotlinking. Not sure why else they wouldn't show unless you changed where they were located or changed their name.

Guessing about your plants from what you've told us, I think these plants need no fertilizer at all. It's possible the high ingredient in the fertilizer (& that type potting mix) is working on the foliage rather than the blooms. Also, could be it had too much water-yellowing could be because of that. Or...they have gone thru one bloom cycle & you need to wait for the next. Sorry I can't be more specific. Try holding back on the water for several days.

• Beachplants
    11 years ago

Peter, did you move them the sunny spot after transplant? When did you transplant? If recently it could be part of transplant, if a month ago and they start changing now, it could be cultivation issues.

• peterk312
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Trying to post photos again with Photobucket:

Again, I planted a few flats of Orange Ice Plant (Lampranthus) into long flower boxes. The soil is Miracle-gro potting mix with perlite added (about 1 part to 3) to make it more succulent friendly. They were transplanted two weeks ago. They were placed into the sunlight the second day. I took care not to disturb roots as much as possible, but the flats contained very poor potting soil (can't expect much from Home Depot). The box faces south and gets sun almost the whole day. I water every day in the AM but only enough so that the soil feels dry about 2 inches down the next morning. I water with the tap water, which is a bit hard, but I add 1/2 strength Miracle-gro fertilizer.

{{gwi:549099}}

{{gwi:549100}}

This didn't happen before I transplanted when they were in the flats that they came in. In fact, they were blooming like mad then. Again, it was about two weeks ago. I did move the transplanted plants right into the sun the second day, but it wasn't very hot at the time and we were getting mostly cloudy conditions.

I read somewhere that with Ice Plant that is indigenous to South Africa (as with Lampranthus) you should not allow the soil to dry out too long during bloom stage (I'll look for the link).

• peterk312
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here's where I read something about watering Lampranthus:

http://www.gardenguides.com/107741-water-requirements-ice-plant.html#ixzz1toKA3jtM

"There are scores of species, all of which need watering during the spring or summer when they flower and put on new growth."

• Beachplants
    11 years ago

The plant as a whole looks good for me - maybe its just adjusting to new environment above and below. These are pretty tough plants, I regularly take cuttings and stick it in the ground to root.

• peterk312
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Same link as above: "Those [Ice Plant] native to southern Africa that naturally receive summer rains must not be allowed to dry out like more arid ice plant species." Again, Lampranthus is indigenous to South Africa.

• Beachplants
    11 years ago

This is L. aureus. {{gwi:549101}}

You may also look at L. glaucoides as another option. Ok so both above and for that matter most most others get winter rainfall. My plants grow in the garden and pots and they do get both tap water and rainwater. They are drought resistant, but like a to be watered as well so just make sure is dries out before watering again. Their biggest issue is actually that we do not get snow here in SA, so long periods of frost and cold - not to good for them.

• peterk312
    Original Author
    11 years ago

If I want the blooms to return, maybe I should try watering with Alaska Morebloom (0-10-10) instead of adding half strength miracle gro? The nitrogen in the miracle gro along with the added nitrogen in the new potting mix may be encouraging the plant to makes leaves and stems. The Alaska product says it "stimulates budding and blooming" and also promotes vigorous root growth (might be good for transplanted ice plants). Rather than using only water maybe I can use the Morebloom product to coax them back?

• noki
    11 years ago

I'm not sure that this idea that you think you are doing something wrong is correct, and that you can "fix" the problem with fertilizer. The plant may have been blooming early in the flats because of the situation. Be patient. They bloom when they think they should.

• peterk312
    Original Author
    11 years ago

noki: Point taken, but I'm not trying to fix a problem. If the plants grow longer and create more leaves it's fine. I would prefer they continue blooming given the bloom cycle for Orange Ice Plant (Lampranthu aurantiacus) is supposed to extend into the summer months and it's only spring.

• peterk312
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Also, don't forget I am curious about the yellow buds (see me photo above) because I don't know what it indicates with Ice Plant.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    11 years ago

The nurseries that sell the plants to HD sometimes overdose the plants with fertilizer to get them to grow fast and bloom so you will take them home. Then they jones after ODing. Plants need adjusting.

• peterk312
    Original Author
    11 years ago

wantonamara: So then are you suggesting that I should just water and wait and NOT try to use a product like Alaska Morebloom, which, again, is designed specifically (as their claim says on the bottle)as a product that "stimulates budding and blooming?" If I just give them time to "adjust" they will bloom again on their own? How much time should I wait?

• peterk312
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yellow buds on Ice Plant (or any plant) is something known as "bud blast"?

• noki
    11 years ago

There probably is a way of cultivation in which you could encourage blooming short term. Those in florist trade might know that better. Not sure any magic miracle instant fertilizer that claims to help any and every plant do everything will help. Maybe it will, maybe it won't. Ice plants are not marigolds. Maybe the Ice Plants are taking a "rest" after feeling the need to bloom so much early in the containers, and they will bloom some more later, it is only a week into May.

I don't find it that unusual for other perennials to bloom abnormally when kept in a container at the store, and then stop blooming when you plant them. You can go the store and see early flowers on Pepper and Tomato plants for sale, doesn't mean they are supposed to bloom that young.

What area of the country are you in? Maybe someone has some experience.
    Are these Ice Plants meant to be grown as an annual, or will you keep over the years?

• Jeanette Wright
    8 years ago

I too have planted ice plant I took cuttings while in Ca last summer and appreciating their carpet of flowers. It rooted and spread easily. I've since started baskets and pots and have no problem with it growing however, it hasn't bloomed since we've been home(Austin). We're well within the proper growing zone and it's been almost a year and still, no blooms. I appreciate the foliage but my main reason for planting it was the flowers. I ordered some seeds online, followed the directions and none of them came up. Not sure what the problem was with that.

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County