Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
acwoodhead

ID & Advice Needed

acwoodhead
10 years ago

Hi,

I purchased these succulents (aeoniums? not sure what specific species) about a month ago. They told me to water them once a month, but two weeks after I purchased them, I started to see trouble. The leaves were drying from the outside in. Thinking they needed water, I watered them. Still no progress. The bottom leaves have since fallen off, and others look like they'll follow suit.

The top flowers are all dried out. Not sure if I should prune back their branches.

They're in succulent potting mix - I tried putting a little moss on the top yesterday to hold in extra water, in case they were drying out too fast.

Suggestions? Thank you!!
Amanda

Comments (8)

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    10 years ago

Amanda,

Sorry to tell you this, but a head of flowering Aeonium is going to die - not the entire plant, mind you, but the flowering head. I'm hopeful you can get your money back, because both of those plants are going to be dead soon.

• teengardener1888
    10 years ago

That is the most terrible buy ever. I would demand a refund or refuse to shop from there. You can try to cut the flowers off and see if it tries to grow back. besides. this is there rest period. they shouldnt be flwoering

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    10 years ago

teen,

It's not the most terrible buy - I've already made that. Secondly, a lot of Aeoniums still have flowers - they're one of the longest-lasting flowering plants with some flowers left on the raceme into May.

They are going into their rest period now - that doesn't mean flowering is over.

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

First, I'll say that I had one type of Aeonium make plantlets on the flower panicle (which could be removed & planted). Most, however, die after flowering ~that is, that flowering stem~ as Jeff mentioned.

Several of mine are beginning to flower & some have been flowering for quite a while (see below). In the summer they will rest. You can cut off the inflorescence now if you like. I'd leave one on & cut the other & see what happens. It's a shame you didn't get a pup...or did you? Can you see any pups growing below or in between the leaves?
    {{gwi:549197}} {{gwi:549199}} {{gwi:549200}}

{{gwi:549201}} {{gwi:549202}} {{gwi:549203}}

• acwoodhead
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for the responses; I'm going to visit the nursery this weekend and speak to them. I don't see any pups, but I'll take a closer look in the morning.

• teengardener1888
    10 years ago

I still mantain those aeoniums were a bad buy. Maybe you can get plants that are not flowering

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

Did the plants have the start of an inflorescence when you bought them a month ago? If not, there's no way for the place who sold them to know they would flower. You would hope they'd grow some branches or pup before they did. I have found most folks working at nurseries don't know enough about the plants to be aware that these might die after flowering. But some places will refund your money or swap out plants in certain circumstances. Good luck when you contact them. =)

• acwoodhead
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That's the trouble - my husband and I are new to succulents too, so we asked which they'd recommend for us. They said these were "super easy" to take care of. We're going to go this weekend and explain everything to them. Perhaps they didn't know better. I think I do see some very tiny pups on one of the stalks. I'm tempted to see what they may turn into.
    Thanks for your help!