Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
volcanonerd

Wrinkly lithops!!!!!!!

volcanonerd
9 years ago

Ok. I know this has probably been answered, but my lithops is really wrinkly and slightly squishy even though i havent watered it in two weeks. Any ideas/suggestions/help?

Comments (27)

• Anne518
    9 years ago

The lithops will go dormant in summer. My lithops have begun wrinkly two weeks ago. I usually stopped water and avoid sunshine during summer time. Don't worry, they will come alive again in fall!

• volcanonerd
    Original Author
    9 years ago

So I don't give them full sun until winter?

• nomen_nudum
    9 years ago

I use a cooler later in the day full sun Peak fullness at 1:30ish to when ever gone untill early fall when they go back to X amount of the day long full sun.

Watering, I would think you maynot have to water at all untill later. Night time has cooler air and is slower moving . The the air is slowed by the moisture content during late evening to early AM times.
    The TC pot will help you if you feel the need to water mist the outside of the pot during the AM cooler times of day that are below 60-70 F and going up, would be okay if a drop or two found it's way into the soil by bad aim or somthing.

• hanzrobo
    9 years ago

Water it heavily ASAP! Feed it too! "Dormancy" doesn't happen until the middle of summer when it's really hot. Lithops are in full growth right now. I've watered mine heavily 3 times this month. I'll probably do it 2 more times before it's time to stop.

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    9 years ago

That picture is not 'shopped, VN - hanzrobo has hectares of Lithops.

• twiltye
    9 years ago

Wow, they look like rows and rows of tiny stepping stones! How in the world do you take care of so many?

• jojosplants
    9 years ago

How do you water all them hanzrobo without messing up the beautiful sand on top! Wow!

• KittieKAT
    9 years ago

I love wheni had asked this same question a little while ago everyone told me they were gonna die and to not water them and blah blah blah......
    Hmmmm, and just incase you're all wondering how they're doing, there just fine they just wanted some water...

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    9 years ago

The martyr myth doesn't play well at all.

• volcanonerd
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Alright!!!!!! Thank you hanzrobo!!!! I love your lithops. :)

• volcanonerd
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Also, as a general rule to any who post on my threads: I dont like it when people get snarky. To quote my mom: i dont care who started it, i'll finish it. Just a general rule of thumb around me. :) i dont mind blunt honesty. :)

• jojosplants
    9 years ago

What size pot are they in? just curious about the size of the plants. the little one in the back is cute!
    I really need to go get me some! lol...

• volcanonerd
    Original Author
    9 years ago

They are in a four inch pot:). These guys all came in the same little container from Home Depot. Any idea on royal flush care?

• jojosplants
    9 years ago

I'm not sure on Royal flush care, I'm having to refresh on these guys myself. :-) But a quick google I just did , seems they get the same care. I'm getting new plants next week and these are on the list. They are so unique! I just love them!

Here is a link that might be useful: Royal Flush

• volcanonerd
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Right?! So cute i just couldnt't help myself. Big box store rescue-even though I need to save money for college lol. I saw these awesome lithops the other day at Lowes, but my boyfriend talked me down from buying them. :)

• jojosplants
    9 years ago

I was looking at Royal flush last week at Lowe's but I worry about they being over watered. I'm going to wait and get to a nursery that specializes in these.

• jojosplants
    9 years ago

Ladies,
    I've learned to leave my man at home. ;-)

• hanzrobo
    9 years ago

V-nerd, you're welcome! Thank you! I like your name. Nerding is my favorite pastime.

Planto, good question! I just went and did a quick count,(not easy), and it looks like I have about 130 different varieties of Lithops. I'd say that about 100 of them are true species and 30 are cultivars, (cultivated varieties).

Jojo, thanks for the enthusiasm:). I water with a mister bottle when I want to feed or with a mister nozzle on the hose if I'm in a hurry. I do 4 or 8 pots at a time, in a loop, spraying each one a little until they've reached my desired saturation. It takes a while with the bottle.

Twiltye, hard to say exactly how. There's a fine balance to caring for all these plants and having time for everything else, a little dance I do all day long. Short answer- always be doing something.

• volcanonerd
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hanzrobo, one quick question: does my royal flush need different care than my lithops, as they are in the same pot?

• volcanonerd
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Planto- my mom says the same thing. Could our moms be on to something?!:P

Jojosplants-I would except for two things 1) I don't have a car 2) he gets so excited to see me geeking out over succulents that I can't help but smile every time he lights up:)

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

JoJo,
    Lol!

hanzrobo,
    Wow, that's quite a collection! My apology for making you go out and count all that.

volcanonerd,
    Haha, they probably are on to something. Hubby has learned a thing or two about plants from me. I guess that happens when you talk about plants so much lol. That's good that your boyfriend is so supportive of your hobby!

Planto

• hanzrobo
    9 years ago

VN, The P. nelii does need different care. They like water in the winter when Lithops don't need much. In the Spring and early Summer when Lithops like water, P. nelii is growing but mostly just by absorbing its leaves. Also, Pleiospilos need bright light to grow compact, the way I like 'em, and I've found that that's a little too bright for my Lithops. The Lithops can take it, they just don't look good.

Right now, I would just water the whole dish. Your P. nelii looks thirsty and hasn't begun forming a new body. It'll appreciate the drink.

Another thing is soil... too much to get into.

The other, other thing is that I live in s. CA and grow in a greenhouse so, take those things into account as our results may vary.

Planto, haha, no problem:) I need to update my inventory list anyway. Less than 1/3 of those are adult plants.

• volcanonerd
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I thought so. In the winter I might repot it separately:). Thank you!!!!!

• User
    9 years ago

Just to add a bit of levity.

About the quote by the Mothers abt if you have nothing nice to say, then say nothing.

I've heard it credited to either Tallulah Bankhead or the late, great Ann Richards, Gov. of Texas who said,

But if you have nothing nice to say, come sit with me.

(I like to think it was Gov. Richards; I wonder how many folks don't recognize the name Tallulah Bankhead).

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

hanzrobo,
    Haha, it's a good thing I asked then. :)

PG,
    That's interesting.

Planto

• nomen_nudum
    9 years ago

Always good to see you Hanz ... Where have you been ? Welcome back ... Hows the weather ?

A bit of rain here as of latley Starnge how it just drops at inches per hour for an hour then cloudy the next day I hadn't watered sence the second week in April.

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert