Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tom_termine

Ants!

TT, zone 5b MA
11 years ago

Hi -

So, some small ants have taken up residence in my A. digitata pot in my greenhouse...and are now thinking about moving in on my Commiphora humbertii next.

In retaliation, I have set some bait traps nearby...yet the population appears to be continuing unabated. They seem to go everywhere but into the traps (maybe I am watching too closesly!)...

Anybody have experience dealing with an effective remedy for this?

Thanks!

Tom

Comments (13)

• pennyhal
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Oh gosh! That's a tough problem. Apparently they built our condo on top of an ant colony in Palo Alto and we were forever fighting an ant problem. What finally worked was the new type of ant bait that they took back to the colony and fed to the ants there. It wasn't an instant success, but it was a couple of weeks before they were gone. It takes a little time. I can't remember the name, but it is in lots of stores now.

Penny

• jade_man
    11 years ago

good luck. i would think it is not to hard, not being in your house around food. you can use more powerful chemicals, or more organic choices.

Here is a link that might be useful: ant killing

• Microthrix
    11 years ago

I use some diotamacious (?) Earth stuff from home depot ... works pretty good

• TT, zone 5b MA
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, all.

I will give the bait a few more days, then on the weekend I think I will pick up some diatomaceous earth...that sounds like a good idea.

Tom

• Colleen E
    11 years ago

I understand the fight. We have a horrid case of ants this year. They're bad on the deck, and they're getting there in the greenhouse. The multiple traps are getting loads of 'em, but it's not taking care of the problem. The diatomaceous earth does make a big difference, but gosh if it hasn't cured the problem over here. Ergh. Our ants are the most bloody persistent things.

• junglemel
    11 years ago

I have the same problem! After doing some research, I just put olive oil on the legs of my plant stand so they can't climb up, and made rings of cinnamon around the base of the legs. This will most likely get washed away, but I'm just hoping to piss them off long enough to want to go elsewhere. Apparently they can't climb the oil, and hate the cinnamon. Hopefully this works, as growing them outside, there isn't a lot one can do. They're everywhere!!!

• Colleen E
    11 years ago

I've tried that, too, JungleMel. If only it were a less temporary solution! I felt like I was reapplying the stuff constantly, haha. I think it just made our ants angry and more persistent.

• aseedisapromise
    11 years ago

Find all the ant piles where they are nesting. Dig them up and pour boiling hot soapy water on them. Rinse and repeat. They will move house, so you have to be always looking. This slows them down. This is what we did the three years we lived in San Diego. Also the bait thingys sometimes. I hated the ants there. They put aphids on everything that was blooming. They came into our apartment . They didn't get into pots too often, though. I'm not sure this treatment would help your A. digitata, though. DE is a good plan in your case, I think.

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Hey Tom. How have you been? You have my sympathy.

We've lived here 20+ years w/o battling insects except an occassional spider. Suddenly, ants found their way inside the house and plant soil, within a 3-year range.

I do NOT like using chemicals, so I've tried every organic method under the sun. I can't use chemicals (sprays) in the house because we have birds. Chemicals would kill my feathered babies.

Vinegar kills ants on contact, but doesn't keep them away.

After plants are summered outside, once they're brought back in, the soil is loaded w/these disgusting critters.

Last autumn, I left most plants outside later than usual, assuming ants would die from the cold.
    To be honest, this spring I didn't notice as many ants as 2011. 2011 was the worse. Lifting a pot, only to find hundreds of ants running in circles. Indoors!!!

I'm not afraid of ants, 'like spiders,' but have you yet lifted a pot only to rile them, have several running on your hand, up your arm? I ran outside, holding plant, pot and saucer, heading to the hose. Then unpotted, and hosed roots, foliage, pot and saucer using cold water. I had no other choice..our hose doesn't have a warm water switch, and I didn't want to hose in the sink for fear ants would scatter, run up the sides, on the counter, etc.

Nowadays, I usually wear gloves when a plant needs repotting, etc.

Last year I started an Ant thread on another forum. People gave great, organic advice, but ants were so over-populated, it was impossible ridding them.

After numerous methods, cinnamon, citrus, garlic, hot pepper, I relented and bought traps. I tried various brands, but the best is 'Terro, Liquid Ant Baits.'

I also purchased ant spray and Boric Acid for outdoor use. I plan on using the spray and Boric Acid around the sides of the house and on top of stands plants sit on, outside.
    I'd sprinkle the yard, but my dog likes sniffing around, don't want to take a chance.

One other thing. Last year, ants were on the kitchen counter. I placed and left a garlic clove and one hot pepper on the counter. So far, nary an ant has been seen. Coincidence? Maybe, but the garlic and pepper is staying there. Also, every night before bed I spray sink and counter w/vinegar.

The last method I plan on doing. Some plants need 'X' amount of vinegar added to the soil.
    Although, vinegar isn't good for all plants, I'm going to add a little vinegar and water ALL plants. Even plants that require alkaline soil.
    I'm not advising anyone to do this.

3-weeks ago I watered a Ceropegia with vinegar water. The poor Cero was infested. For days I watched ants hauling eggs daily, travelling same pattern. So, I watered Cero w/vinegar..so far, I haven't seen an ant, but they could be hidden below soil line. Again, I am not suggesting anyone try this.

Tom, good luck. Please let me know if you find a way to rid them for good. Toni

PS: A few weeks ago, it was announced on National News, 2012 ant population would highly increase.

• leisurely
    11 years ago

I have fire ants, carpenter ants soldier ants, sugar ants and several other varieties. Ants probably don't do a lot of harm, if any to the plant but the damage lies in all of the insects that they farm and milk for the honeydew. Getting rid of ants will rid all insects such as aphids, mealy bugs and scale.

The best thing that I have used to rid them is to sprinkle sevin dust heavily around the affected area. (A chemical but one of the less harmful.) They get it on them and carry it back to the queen and she croaks.
    Another thing that works well is to make a paste using powdered boric acid and syrup or honey. Serve them dinner in lids placed in strategic areas. They eat it and die.

• karyn1
    11 years ago

I don't use pesticides and the only solution I've found to killing an ant colony in a potted plant is to submerge the entire pot in water for several hours. You have to make sure it's a big enough bucket that the ants can't reach the sides to crawl out. My problem is that I never find all the infested containers so I never get rid of all the ants. I use DE for slugs and other soft bodied pests but have never had much luck with it as an ant killer. If they didn't farm the damn aphids they wouldn't bother me so much.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    11 years ago

The little white things are babies, so yes, good sign.