Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sundewd

General Pic Thread

Sundewd
9 years ago

General pic thread for all to show off your beauties. Here's a few new plant boxes I set up and a loose Semp I picked up for $2. :D

Graptopellatum and Semp
{{gwi:549522}}
Semp, crassula 'caput minima', Sedum Rubro Aurora and Anacampseros.
{{gwi:549525}}
The $2 Semp.
{{gwi:549527}}

This post was edited by Sundewd on Thu, May 22, 14 at 17:05

Comments (64)

• northbay12
    9 years ago

Aeonium glandulosum
    {{gwi:549552}}
    Aeonium hierrense
    {{gwi:549554}}
    Agave bovicornuta
    {{gwi:549556}}
    {{gwi:549558}}
    Pachypodium bispinosum
    {{gwi:549560}}{{gwi:549563}}

• Sundewd
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh, love the Agave! But they are all very nice. :)

Here's my contribution. A formerly unknown stapeliad which I finally got a documented flower from. I believe it to be Stapelianthus Decaryi. What do you all think?
    {{gwi:549566}}
    Closer
    {{gwi:549569}}

• jojosplants
    9 years ago

Oh I love it! It's beautiful! I love stapeliad's ! I spent today working on re potting mine and putting a few pieces around the yard to see how they do. Don't have this one though.

• Sundewd
    Original Author
    9 years ago

"Put it around the yard". Ha. Must be nice you darned Arizonian with your perfect cactus weather. :P I have to shelter mine, especially my Edithcolea Grandis that I am hoping blooms soon. But yes, I love the stapeliads. This one has no odor though. I'm actually let down by that.

• jojosplants
    9 years ago

ROFL!! Well I wouldn't call it perfect, but close. My hybrid aloe's got moved from under a shrub/filtered light to the east side of the house and they are pouting! May need to give them a little shade, and we do have a hard freeze once in awhile.

I get a kick out of how these flowers smell! lol.. I would have to say it is my favorite succulent! Years ago when I got my first one I went up to hubby and said smell my pretty flower! He did and has never trusted me again! ROFL!!

• chicagardens
    9 years ago

I had a visitor too...

{{gwi:549571}}

And this guy is so nosey, hehe

{{gwi:549572}}

Here are some other random ones

{{gwi:549573}}

{{gwi:549574}}

• aztcqn
    9 years ago

Never had the courage to smell these flowers. Once had a huernia, didn't know what it was, just thought the stem bodies were neet. A bud appeared and just before it opened it began to attract so many flies they covered the flower from sight, I was horrified. I gave it away to someone who did appreciate it's peculiar charm better than me. The flowers ARE attractive, just really hate flies.
    chicagardens, yikes, your visitor looks big enough to put a saddle on it. Love the dainty flowers.

• chicagardens
    9 years ago

aztcqn - thx, yeah i have giant grasshoppers visiting all the time!

• jojosplants
    9 years ago

Lol! I'm picturing a saddle on him . I have large ones that visit too. I'll see if I can find pics later. Yours is a pretty green . Keep an eye on him and watch he doesn't snack ! Lol!

• aztcqn
    9 years ago

Schick echi Fluffy Ruffles.

Flowers are SO short lived! :[

• jojosplants
    9 years ago

I love seeing everyone's flowers! It is sad some are so short lived !

• chicagardens
    9 years ago

jojo, your guy and mine camouflage well. i watered my plants and didn't even realize there. it's hard to see in the pic, but you can see water beads on him. he prob snacked and got a shower too! :)

• kaktuskris
    9 years ago

My one day wonder, my first Echinopsis subdenudatum flower recently...

Christopher

• jojosplants
    9 years ago

chicagardens~ looking back at your picture he may have had a snack.. shower, and breakfast.. living the good life. lol.. of coarse your beautiful fur baby may have had a snack too. ;-)

My little guy almost gets stepped on he camouflages so well! He only eats bugs, so that's a good thing.

Here's our big guys! We had these beauties two summers in a row, I'm hoping they will be here again this summer. We really enjoyed having them here!! Watched them grow from tiny babies on up.
    Yes, they did eat some of the garden, but not enough to do any serious damage.
    lol..

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    9 years ago

Sundewd,
    I hate to say this, you are living with a Huernia. It is in the Asclepiads family. Very simular to mine. My flower is a deep dark red. Mine grew a lovly crest on the end of one of it's branches. I will remove it soon to grow out on it's own. These are currently my favorit plants for right now. I have been lucky with seeds and have about 30 seedlings to see what they grow into. Here's a link to more;
    http://anti-matter-3d.com/Stapeliads/
    Stush

• jojosplants
    9 years ago

OK.. this is confusing! lol.. your right Stush, It does seem to be more like a Huernia. I got so excited about the flower I didn't even notice. But doing a google search with the name given, tons came up as a stapeliad.

• Sundewd
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I thought it was too until I saw the pic of Stapelianthus Decaryi. Unless you have a Huernia species in mind, this is a dead match to S. Decaryi. Mine is just purple due to high light but is a small plant.

Either way, I just like these plants. I have another unidentified one that is lucky to even be alive after being outside all winter without protection.

• chicagardens
    9 years ago

Wow jojo your guy is real interesting looking. I love it! I have to find the pic of my other fur baby sitting in a pot of...you guessed it...succulents! He smooched them all! Lol

This post was edited by chicagardens on Sat, May 31, 14 at 21:00

• meyermike_1micha
    9 years ago

Jojo, if there is any unusual bugs, like bugs I have never seen except on National Geographic, you have them in your plants..Lol..Love them..

Beautiful plants everyone...Nice coloring, my favorite..

Chris and Aztcqn, I hear you about short lived flowers..

MIke

• meyermike_1micha
    9 years ago

Jojo, if there is any unusual bugs, like bugs I have never seen except on National Geographic, you have them in your plants..Lol..Love them..

Beautiful plants everyone...Nice coloring, my favorite..

Chris and Aztcqn, I hear you about short lived flowers..

MIke

• jojosplants
    9 years ago

I'm special Mike. ;-)
    I really enjoyed these! I could walk out and just pick them up! They became like our pets!!
    Hoping they return this season!
    :-)

• Sundewd
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Nothing fancy but its all I have to show right now.

Big ol pot of growing Schlumbergera. Has buds but I dont think they will make It out. {{gwi:549577}}

My growing Pachypodium species not known.
    {{gwi:549578}}

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    9 years ago

I managed to save a couple of pieces from a C. 'Campfire' that rotted in a pot of MG cactus soil. These struggled, but made it! I'm happy because it is one of my favorite colorful plants.

• jojosplants
    9 years ago

Good save !! They are beautiful!

• chicagardens
    9 years ago

Agreed on the campfire! I just got a few, nothing spectacular yet. I hope they look like yours soon. (:

I love the Schlumbergera! I have little to no luck with these...but I try every year (:

• Sundewd
    Original Author
    9 years ago

All this week.

Echinopsis 'Domino'
    {{gwi:549579}}

Opuntia Old Mexico
    {{gwi:549580}}

Notocactus Magnificus
    {{gwi:549581}}

This post was edited by Sundewd on Tue, Jun 17, 14 at 11:22

• angellilly
    9 years ago

Although they dont compare to yours (great pics everyone!),here are my plants(well,a few of them):
    Aloe somaliensis
    {{gwi:549582}}
    Haworthia venosa tesselata
    {{gwi:549583}}
    Mammillaria bombycina
    {{gwi:549584}}
    a seedling Astrophytum capricorne cv. 'crassispinoides'
    {{gwi:549585}}
    variegated Haworthia attenuata (var radula)
    {{gwi:549586}}
    Agave fillifera(probably)
    {{gwi:549587}}
    Gasteria (or Gasteraloe?) cv 'Flo' (probably)
    {{gwi:549588}}
    An Aloe seedling (A. bakeri x A. humilis) of my own cross (hey i was bored!lol)...i named the guy Aloe 'Aligator' (for obvious reasons)and only kept him,the rest?the bin!
    {{gwi:549589}}
    Mam sp!
    {{gwi:549590}}
    thats all!

9 years ago

Sundewd,
    Yes to Stapelianthus Decaryi. If ever a plant looks just like the picture.
    Sorry I got back to you so late. Forgot I posted on this. It is a Stapelia hybrid. With what, no way to know. Maybe it was in an open greenhouse with many. It is a keeper. If you end up with too many like Bikerdoc, Keep us in mind.
    Hope one of my seedling turns out simular. Notice the many rolls of points in the arms just like my crested one. Regular Huneria has 4 rolls like the ones Bikerdoc is giving away. Also yours has that deep bell shape flower. Sets it apart.
    Stush

• Sundewd
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I will definitely keep you all in mind if the pot decides to explode. Stapeliads tend to grow really, really slowly for me though.

• aztcqn
    9 years ago

Nice! More beauties!!!!
    Sundewd, that Notocactus Magnificus pale flower is sublime. So pale, pretty and round!
    angelilly, what a neat aloe somaliensis. Never saw this pattern before. I like!
    This is rebutia Apricot. So small, yet, giving me a sample of crops to come in future.
    {{gwi:549591}}

Always enjoy the pics from everyone's collections.
    I, also, wanted to post this perfect example of what makes these plants so charming and desirable. Plus, they return the investment, tenfold. Even from accidentally knocked off leaves! Love this quality of succulents.

This post was edited by aztcqn on Fri, Jun 20, 14 at 18:53

• Sundewd
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks! Here's another shot of the Notocactus. It double bloomed today!
    {{gwi:549592}}

• 100mphtortoise
    9 years ago

My echinopsis visitor.

• 100mphtortoise
    9 years ago

My echinopsis visitor.

{{!gwi}}

• PaulaZ
    9 years ago

Can I ask a question.....how do you add multiple photos in one post? I am new and cannot figure that one out.

9 years ago

This site is one picture only. To post more, you have to join a photo sharing site like 'Photobucket'. It gets to be a pain some times with my slow computer. So I don't use it anymore. Maybe some one else can give you a better answer.
    Stush

• Sundewd
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hamatocactus Hamatacanthus. Wind was really blowimg today so it didn't quite reach its full potential.
    {{gwi:549593}}

• aztcqn
    9 years ago

Second day in bloom: Tricho Lavender

• jojosplants
    9 years ago

Hi Paula,
    The only way that I know of is to join a free photo hosting site, most of us use photobucket.
    Upload the photos to there , and then copy and paste the html code here into your post.
    It will look like a long code, but will show your pictures when you look at the preview.

• PaulaZ
    9 years ago

Thank you Stush & JoJo..... I have Picasa, not sure if it has same capabilities. If not Photobucket is on my "BUCKET LIST"!

• Ninkasi
    9 years ago

june blooms on the Cape Blanco sedum

• Sundewd
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hylocereus Undatus sending out very nice aerial roots... To nowhere.
    {{gwi:549594}}

Also, I love that Trichocereus Lavender! I'm going to put that on my want list.

This post was edited by Sundewd on Mon, Jun 23, 14 at 21:34

• Sundewd
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My Stapelianthus Decaryi which I am now calling the "Alien pod plant" recently inflated 3 balloons with at least 2 more forming. 2 have opened. One today, one yesterday. I'm hoping the last opens tomorrow for the 3-peat.

Both
    {{gwi:549595}}

Older one. I notice they curl backwards more on day 2.
    {{gwi:549596}}

Today's flower. Slightly curled.
    {{gwi:549598}}

And here is a cool shot. What is inside an Alien Pod plant? Let's have a look...
    {{gwi:549600}}

Darn. I don't see any aliens down there. But maybe thats a good thing.

• rosieroo
    9 years ago

Those blooms are unreal, Sundewd! So beautiful. Definitely have an alien quality to them.

• Sundewd
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My night bloomer. Cereus Vallidus? Bloomed last night, July 4th.
    {{gwi:549602}}

• Sundewd
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Unknown Lobivia.
    {{gwi:549604}}

• oshe
    9 years ago

My euphorbias

• oshe
    9 years ago

Ammak.?

• oshe
    9 years ago

Lactea grey ghost

• DavidL.ca
    9 years ago

This is my first rescue plant! Key lime pie from RONA. I found it lying there without a pot....

• oshe
    9 years ago

Another euphorbia

Euphorbia caput-medusae