Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crazytbone

My first jade adventure

crazytbone
13 years ago

This post is 50% question and 50% show and tell.

I just embarked on my first adventure with my jade plant and Al's gritty mix. I have had this jace plant bought at a chain store for about a year, and after seeing some of the whacked jades on this forum, I decided to try it for myself. Here's what it looked like before.

{{gwi:549630}}

I was somewhat surprised that I had to break the pot beacuse the poor thing was so pot-bound. It was a battle to get the old soil out. The original nasty potting soil (from the pot sold in the store. I didn't know what I was doing then) was clumped so solidly that I could not get it off. I made my lone jade plants into three.

{{gwi:549631}}

As you can see, I have one small and two big pots. I figured that the small pot will probably end up being too small. My gritty mix is pretty close to Al's recipe. It is comprised of rice stone from a local landscaping nursery, reptile bark and pine bark mulch (I got the pine bark mulch at the last minute and added it to my mix. It is a nice mix of tiny thin chunks of bark that I got at Agway.) and kitty litter (which I read on another forum can be a substitute for Turface which I cannot find). The mix is about 1 part stone, 1 part kitty litter, some gypsum, and maybe 3 or 4 parts bark. I hope it works.

Do I have to wait to whack these guys? I want plants with the nice thick trunks that take years to grow. I was thinking about taking off all but the topmost leaves. Do I need to be aware of anything like tools, techniques, things to avoid when whacking my jade?

Thanks

T-bone Al

Comments (23)

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    13 years ago

TBA,

You've done well. One suggestion on getting a pot-bound plant out - let it soak in water first and dump/pull/cut away from the pot.

No, I don't think you have to wait, and as to style, it's your call. I would likely leave only the strongest side branches, as these will help the plant grow more heft, IMO, but cut just about anything else.

As for tools, I use an Exacto knife, but that's because I have one. Otherwise, anything sharp and clean should be fine.

Josh and others who are keen cutters will no doubt have some more advice.

• meyermike_1micha
    13 years ago

Personaly, they look good enough to me to grow nice and short and full for a while..Those trunks will get thick with the tops like that. The more sun the better..

I use my fingers and pinch, or knife, or scissors..

I love what you did, and that pot you had to break, what a shame..I like it..I love the little pot..You can always grow it like a Bonsai and keep it in that pot for years, trimming the roots and top growth..

Nice Job!!

Mike.

• penfold2
    13 years ago

Keep an eye on the kitty litter in your mix. Many of them are not fired at a very high temperature and will turn back into clay when watered.

Schultz clay soil conditioner and Schultz aquatic plant soil are both Turface products repackaged for a different purpose. Napa floor dry also makes a good substitute for Turface.

• valyn
    13 years ago

My only concern about what you did is the kitty litter.

You did a great job! You really have an eye for the Jades
    (my personal favorites). I would let them grow this summer and then in September, as Norma suggests, that is when to cut them back. It encourages flowering as well as shaping.
    Val

• crazytbone
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The kitty litter is called "Special Kitty Kitty Litter". It is the Walmart brand cheap cheap cheap kitty litter. This specific brand was recommended in a bonsai forum, so I decided to give it a shot. The nearest supplier of Turface to me closes before I get out of work, so I figured I'd give the litter a shot. I don't think it will dissolve into clay. I'll soak some later today and see, but it is a relatively small component of my mix.

On other jade threads, people have suggested putting more inorganics like granite in the mix. Right now, my mix is bark-heavy. I think that it should be ok, and if it doesn't seem to be working, I'll repot again.

13 years ago

TBA,

You can get 50 different soil recipes and they all will work depending on your own cultural conditions and practices. The mix of sun, light, water, wind, heat, type of pot and drainage, etc. are those conditions/practices, so if it works for you, great, if not, you'll change things. Personally, I go for more inorganic matter, because I like to keep my Crassulas on the dry side, but all that matters is if it works for you. You can, with your cuttings, test different mixes - chances are what works best for you C. ovata will work with 95% of other succulents, too.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    13 years ago

Great job!

If you want a BIG Jade, you really do need a big pot! (Unless you can grow in the ground/raised bed).

I think you'll find that the Jade in the smallest pot will commence growing the soonest.
    However, the Jades in the larger pots will out-size the Jade in the smaller pot eventually.

Make sure to test that Cat Litter.

Josh

• Denise
    13 years ago

Al,

Jeff's right - we all have a favorite mix. Mine is simple... about 2/3 coir and 1/3 perlite. It's a nice, light mix and works really well for me.

I'd probably let them be for now, too. Or maybe whack one back and leave the others. But the key is to acclimate them over a few weeks into full sun, because they can burn. And oh is that ugly! But the full sun is really important to getting the compact growth. Now, if you do whack one (or all) back now, the advantage is that you can put your leafless trunk out in full sun right away and the new growth will come in super compact and gorgeouly colored.

Since you now have three, experiment!

Denise in Omaha

• crazytbone
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I tested the cat litter, and it didn't turn to clay, but it didn't exactly not turn to clay either... It became somewhat of a thick chunky soup. The biggest chunks remained chunks and the smallest bits became like clay. I'm not sure what behavior I'm looking for, but it is just a small component of the mix, so I hope it will be fine.

I hope...

13 years ago

CTB,

Don't waste your time and the plant - get rid of it from your mix and use something that doesn't turn to sludge.

• norma_2006
    13 years ago

Val thank you, so I haven't lost my touch, you sure made my head get big. You must be careful with little old ladies that can't spell, we are very brittle. LOL Norma

• crazytbone
    Original Author
    13 years ago

So what are some good replacements for the crappy kitty litter? I understand the function of the stone and the bark. I know Turface would be best, but I cannot get it. I don't really know what Turface is and how it looks/behaves.

• jojosplants
    13 years ago

Hi CTB,
    There is a product called Floor Dry you can get at a Nappa Auto Parts store. Part # 8822. I'ts a good size bag for about $7. Alot of us sub it for Turface. It retains moisture.

It looks alot like the litter. Here's a pic.

{{gwi:5064}}

• crazytbone
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ok, floor dry it is. Can you recommend a mix ratio?

Thank you all for your opinions.

• penfold2
    13 years ago

I mentioned several replacements above. I use equal parts bark, granite, and Turface on my Jade, but you may want to reduce the Turface portion slightly if you're using Floor Dry, since it holds more water than Turface. Also, it helps to sift it with insect screen to remove fines.

Jojo, you're picture looks like Turface to me. Floor Dry is pure white when dry and gray when wet.

• jojosplants
    13 years ago

Penfold,
    Your right. LOL!! Teach me to do something before the coffee kicks in...ROFL!

Thanks for catching that. Yes, it is turface, and Floor Dry is more white, I must have deleted my floor dry pic.

And thanks for adding in the sifting, and reducing portions.

Norma~ Your funny and I doubt brittle..:)

Jojo

• norma_2006
    13 years ago

Believe me Jo Jo I am, I changed a great deal lately. Like I had a life changing experience, or perhaps it just my age. LOL This past year has been rough. Norma

• crazytbone
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I got the NAPA floor dry and repotted everything. My mix was 2.5 parts gravel, 1 part bark, 1 part floor dry and some gypsum. I got my hands on a sifter, so I sifted the bark and the floor dry, though very little got through the insect screen.

Since the big jades were in their original peat potting soil for so long and had become so horribly compacted, I went to work on the roots again with my pocket knife. I think the roots are about as free of that old soil as they're going to get.

{{gwi:549632}}
    Here's the components. After actually screening the bark, I finally understand what the bark is supposed to look like. Stupid question for you all, how do you mix your mix? I mean, physically, how do you combine all the different components to make an even blend. I probably spent 20 minutes pouring the stuff from one 5 gallon bucket to another and trying to mix it by hand. There's got to be an easier way...

{{gwi:549633}}
    Before potting...
    {{gwi:549634}}
    After potting. I took denise's advice and whacked one jade. It is now sitting in the sun while the others are enjoying some shade. I also decided to give them all a drink for two reasons. 1) They looked thirsty. Their leaves were a little squishy. 2) I read elsewhere that the floor dry absorbs LOTS of moisture and I didn't want it to dry out the roots.

Thank you all for your helpful suggestions. I have been keeping plants for about two years, and I am just now starting to try to become knowledgeable about it. Hopefully they will all be happy with their new soil.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    13 years ago

First, the mix looks great!
    - I mix the ingredients in a plastic garbage bag (for small batches), or in an empty
    wheelbarrow bed (for larger batches).

Second, the plants really did not need to be watered at all.
    - The moisture from rinsing the roots is sufficient to keep the fine roots alive....
    although it could also create conditions favorable to root-rot.
    - After bare-rooting, a Jade's leaves will be soft and squishy for up to two weeks.
    - The key is to resist the urge to water for approximately one week after re-potting.

Third, you've got the sun/shade correct!
    Blast the bare trunk with UV...but shade the leafy re-potted Jades.

Josh

13 years ago

CTB,

They look good and the mix looks right - congrats.

• mawehe63
    13 years ago

i never get tired of jade threads. they always make me want to go and take cuttings of my plants lol
    wesley

• crazytbone
    Original Author
    13 years ago

How long does it typically take for a jade to adjust to the gritty mix? Of the two outside right now (the smaller ones have gone to new homes) the one I whacked is growing one tiny red sprout. The other (with leaves) is getting wrinkly, soft, and looking pretty rough. I do have a third jade (not pictured) that I put into this gritty mix, which is also getting squishy in the leaves, but is not looking quite as bad as the other one.

I'm getting a little scared. What do you think?

• pirate_girl
    13 years ago

Pls. don't be scared; those fat, fleshy leaves are holding water in reserve. These plants are much tougher than you seeem to think. IMO they can go at least a month w/out water.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio