Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cacuts cuttings

Posted by vkmcgee2 8 (My Page) on
Wed, May 30, 12 at 15:53

I've often taken cuttings from my Stapelia, anyone know how to pronounce that? Stap e lia? Stap lia? Anyway I've often taken a piece and put it in moist soil and watered it after the soil dried and it would get roots and then I'd gift it away. I know succulents are easy that way. I've never done larger cactus's though.
I have the opportunity to get some cuttings of a cactus that has Beautiful large flowers. I'd post a picture but I haven't figured out how to do that yet. I suppose it will come to me someday. From what I've read your supposed to be able to do it when you review your posting but I haven't noticed where I click to do that. Anyway, back to the subject. Since this is the time of year when these cactus bloom, should I wait till it's closer to winter to do it or does it matter? I know you cut off the limb then let it scab over then plant it. Will the wound on the parent plant scab over too or is there something I need to do for it? I also need to know if I can do this whenever or if I should wait for a cretin time of year. My best guess would be that the parent plant would be OK and it would scab over just like the cutting. I'd also guess that the cutting could be taken whenever since the younger babies aren't old enough yet to have flowers and it would leave more nutrients for the parent plant.
Thanks for any advice you can give.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cacuts cuttings

I say st - uh- pel- ee - uh .... i think you should rub alittle cinnamon powder on part and cutting spot, and right now it the perfect time for cuttings

o

To post pictures to this forum, you'll need to sign up for a free membership with a picture hosting website, like Photobucket or Flickr (http://www.ebizmba.com/articles/image-hosting-websites). Once you've created an account, upload your pictures to the site. Most will require you to re-size the photo to 1024 x 768; I use Photoshop for this purpose but any photo software will work. Now hover your mouse over the picture you want to upload to this forum. A drop-down menu appears with four (4) selections. Select the "HTML code". Then return to this site and right click in the "Message" box and paste your picture. You will not see your picture until you preview your post. It is important to always Preview after you have made any changes to your post.

o

This is my cactus does anyone know it's name

Here is a link that might be useful: cactus flower 3

o

The pic is extremely small and i cant see it sorry :/

o

Here is one of the cactus I am getting a cutting from.

Here is a link that might be useful: one of the cactus the cuttings will be from

o

Here is another one

Here is a link that might be useful: white one

o

Here is the pink almost red cactus

Here is a link that might be useful: deep pink/red

o

Here is the variegated pink

Here is a link that might be useful: variegated pink

o

another variegated pink

Photobucket

Oh, I figured it out, here you go

o

Thank you everybody. I've learned from this posting to use cinnamon on the open wound To quote Zech who told me, "seals off the cut edge and prevents rot and other types of bacteria from wreaking havoc upon the freshly cut vulnerable edge"
Thanks to bikerdoc5968 and a little practice I've learned how to do links and put pictures in the postings, like this.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

and this one is mine but without the bloom

Photobucket

the picture of the bloom is just to small
I've also learned that it's a good time to take the cuttings. This is great because I can hardly wait!
Thanks again everyone.

o

Oohhhhh those flowers are so beautiful! They take my breath awaaaaaayyyyyyyyy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here