Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vkmcgee2

cacuts cuttings

vkmcgee2
11 years ago

I've often taken cuttings from my Stapelia, anyone know how to pronounce that? Stap e lia? Stap lia? Anyway I've often taken a piece and put it in moist soil and watered it after the soil dried and it would get roots and then I'd gift it away. I know succulents are easy that way. I've never done larger cactus's though.

I have the opportunity to get some cuttings of a cactus that has Beautiful large flowers. I'd post a picture but I haven't figured out how to do that yet. I suppose it will come to me someday. From what I've read your supposed to be able to do it when you review your posting but I haven't noticed where I click to do that. Anyway, back to the subject. Since this is the time of year when these cactus bloom, should I wait till it's closer to winter to do it or does it matter? I know you cut off the limb then let it scab over then plant it. Will the wound on the parent plant scab over too or is there something I need to do for it? I also need to know if I can do this whenever or if I should wait for a cretin time of year. My best guess would be that the parent plant would be OK and it would scab over just like the cutting. I'd also guess that the cutting could be taken whenever since the younger babies aren't old enough yet to have flowers and it would leave more nutrients for the parent plant.

Thanks for any advice you can give.

Comments (11)

• Microthrix
    11 years ago

I say st - uh- pel- ee - uh .... i think you should rub alittle cinnamon powder on part and cutting spot, and right now it the perfect time for cuttings

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    11 years ago

To post pictures to this forum, you'll need to sign up for a free membership with a picture hosting website, like Photobucket or Flickr (http://www.ebizmba.com/articles/image-hosting-websites). Once you've created an account, upload your pictures to the site. Most will require you to re-size the photo to 1024 x 768; I use Photoshop for this purpose but any photo software will work. Now hover your mouse over the picture you want to upload to this forum. A drop-down menu appears with four (4) selections. Select the "HTML code". Then return to this site and right click in the "Message" box and paste your picture. You will not see your picture until you preview your post. It is important to always Preview after you have made any changes to your post.

• vkmcgee2
    Original Author
    11 years ago

This is my cactus does anyone know it's name

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:549766}}

• Microthrix
    11 years ago

The pic is extremely small and i cant see it sorry :/

• vkmcgee2
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here is one of the cactus I am getting a cutting from.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:549768}}

• vkmcgee2
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here is another one

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:549770}}

• vkmcgee2
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here is the pink almost red cactus

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:549772}}

• vkmcgee2
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here is the variegated pink

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:549774}}

• vkmcgee2
    Original Author
    11 years ago

another variegated pink

{{gwi:549789}}

Oh, I figured it out, here you go

• vkmcgee2
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you everybody. I've learned from this posting to use cinnamon on the open wound To quote Zech who told me, "seals off the cut edge and prevents rot and other types of bacteria from wreaking havoc upon the freshly cut vulnerable edge"
    Thanks to bikerdoc5968 and a little practice I've learned how to do links and put pictures in the postings, like this.

{{gwi:549768}}

{{gwi:549770}}

{{gwi:549772}}

{{gwi:549792}}

{{gwi:549774}}

{{gwi:549793}}

and this one is mine but without the bloom

{{gwi:549794}}

the picture of the bloom is just to small
    I've also learned that it's a good time to take the cuttings. This is great because I can hardly wait!
    Thanks again everyone.

• Microthrix
    11 years ago

Oohhhhh those flowers are so beautiful! They take my breath awaaaaaayyyyyyyyy