Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mislabeled cactus, another ID please?

Posted by JungleMel 6 (My Page) on
Thu, May 17, 12 at 15:54

Ok, so I posted this elsewhere as I feel like I keep asking you all to ID things for me once a month, and I feel bad about that because every other post here is an ID request. However, it seems as if this is the only place my plants get IDs that are correct and not just a bunch of wrong guesses. Those that ID things around here are a bunch of pros, so this won't be my last request I'm sure. Seriously, thank you for being so helpful here.

So onto my request. I got this labeled as Rebutia krainziana. It isn't, but I can't figure out what it is. I got some Parodia and Notocactus guesses so maybe it's one of those genus's. It's blooming from the top and pushes out a fuzzy areole before the petals are visible.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mislabeled cactus, another ID please?

Notocactus is in the genus parodia ,so yeah its a parodia im guessing dont know which specific type

o

Thanks, wasn't sure if all Notocactus was lumped into Parodia, or what.

Now that I'm looking at Parodia specifically it looks like one of the examples of Parodia nothorauschii on this site.

o

JungleMel,
It appears that you have successfully ID'd your cactus; from looking at Google images, it does look like P. nothorauschii. That is one nice looking cactus, very pretty blooms.

Planto

o

Exceptional blossom, and a nice pic of that insect!

o

I found that P. nothorauschii might be a synonym for P. fusca. Is this the case? They look the same to me, just want to be sure before I go labeling it one if it's the other. All the renames make this confusing!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here