Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jgw3_gw

Rooting Question

JGW3
10 years ago

I was reading the post about rooting a cutting someone got from there neighbor. It triggered several questions in my mind the more I thought about it.

First, what exactly stimulates roots to come out of a part of a plant that originally didn't have roots? example leaf, stem, rosette etc.

Second, I'm assuming the roots are looking for water? So how does the plant now know that its not able to get water? It doesn't have a brain to say hey dude no more roots better make some? Is there some sort of chemical change going on or do they go into shock and that's mother natures evolutionary reaction?

Third, if they are looking for water- why give them any at all before they have roots? Make them look a little harder then reward them with a drink.

I'm sure tropicals like Phothos that root in water live in very wet environments and falling to the ground in nature could mean falling in a puddle, super wet leaf litter etc. But a succulent is probably falling down into something sandy, gravely and dry. Who know's when it would see moisture.

Well that hurt, the old hamster feels like it's running in circles. squeak, squeak squeak can you here the ole wheel spinning!

John

Comments (6)

• hanzrobo
    10 years ago

Wonderful questions, John! With that kind of curiosity I would honestly recommend picking up a textbook on botany. I found a nice one at a used-book store. Your question about a plant's consciousness though, may even go beyond that. I can't get too metaphysical while sitting here in the Toyota customer lounge but there was a recent article on findings that seed germination in chilies and basil was greatly increased when sown near the mother plant... are your wheels turning now? I'll post a link to it when I get home:)

The simple answer to your first question is; survival. It's the story of evolution.

Second question, I think the plant knows when its water source is severed, if only because it has been removed. A plant's stem contains organs akin to our intestinal and cardiovascular systems, taking in water and nutrients, distributing that to the food factories (leaves) and then distributing its own food to the rest of the plant. That's extremely simplified.

Leaf rooting is another very interesting survival method. Imagine if we could clone a piece of ourselves. I'm glad none of my pieces fall off.

Your inclination about letting a cutting seek out water a little longer, simulating reality, I think is dead on. However, nature does provide the morning dew, fog and occasional mist. When nursing a cutting or leaf, a little mist can slow evaporation and keep in mind that the beginnings of roots, which you may not be able to detect right away (ie; Haworthia and Gasteria leaves) can absorb water and prolong the leaf until it can begin to pup.

Ok, my super-cool minivan is done, gotta go!

• JGW3
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Hanz,

I'm just of the opinion we all concentrate on the how to do and skip right past the how it works. I'm a mechanic by trade and now they are trying to throw a little polish and organization at me and make a sales guy out of me. But I would say I never really experienced true success at either venture until I started to understand the "why's". Once we master the "why's" the "how to's" just seem like common sense right?

Maybe I will take your advice and do a little reading. I think my first stop is going to be the Googler! The Googler knows everything. Hmm wonder why it knows so much.

John

• hanzrobo
    10 years ago

You're right, John. I'm thankful that my mom was always so indulgent of my constant need to know why, since mother's day is coming up... thanks mom!

Knowing your product from the inside out, you shouldn't have any problem with sales. Confidence and knowledge of your product is key. The rest is just selling yourself, making the client feel comfortable spending the money they came there to spend. Think of all the times people made you feel well taken care of... that's the stuff.

Here's the link to that article...

Here is a link that might be useful: Originally posted at Xeric

• JGW3
    Original Author
    10 years ago

OK Hanz I had a quick look before I check out for the night. This I thought was good clip about Auxin. It's heading in the right direction of some good answers but I'm sure there is a whole lot more.

C'mon I want more input, I want to achieve like Jedi Master of plant geekhood before its all said and done.

Enjoy

Here is a link that might be useful: Wise Geeks take on Auxin.

• norma_2006
    10 years ago

I tried that and got shot, I had the nerve to suggest that they do research and read a book, at the bottom of this page you will see numbers in blue, 1-67 or so, read some of the forum responses , most plants will drop, leaf or stem and roots down where they fall or just send out roots with out any soil. The are called succulents be cause they have water in their stem, roots, and leaves. It a long subject, and I don't want to go on from here. Others here will help you out.

• kataz
    10 years ago

I have what I think are possibly pachyphytum and echcveria plants that I started outside earlier this year aprox 5 months ago. They share a small pot I moved them inside, to my eastern facing kitchen window. The Phoenix heat was cooking them. It's been a few weeks indoors and now they are growing a lot of roots from the stems (up to 1" above the ground).

I wanted to know if this is normal, first off. If not, is this do to excess moisture in the air (plant above kitchen sink) or is it crowded and needs to be transplanted?

The leaves appear normal and the plant is otherwise doing better than ever (other than the extra roots).
    I have been chopping them down and replanting the tops, but if there is a better plan for care and maintenance please let me know. Thank you!

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida