Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
3 plants that need an id

Posted by Microthrix southern california (My Page) on
Sun, May 6, 12 at 16:21

The only thing the pot said was south american saguaro ...
Photobucket

Heres a cute fuzzy one
Photobucket

Some kind of notocactus
Photobucket

ResizedImage_1336335160188.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket">

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 3 plants that need an id

And in that first pic when i poke at the little weed thing it bleeds white sap, is it a euphorbia?

o

The first looks like it could be a match - Trichocereus tersheckii (No, not Euphorbia...are you sure it was the cactus bleeding the sap & not from one of those Euphorbia leaves of the plant at its base?)

2nd, looks like Espostoa lanata to me.

3rd, I believe is Notocactus roseoluteus.

Where did you get these? Nice plants!

o

I know the first pic is a cactus :P in the first comment i did mean the little things at the base, should have clarified that ... i got the first and third one from lowes and about the second one ... my neighbors moved away and left 5 cacti in a weird sled thing so i just adopted them and cared for them ... they grew alot in about 3 years

o

Sorry, my eyeballs skipped right over your "little weed thing" part. My bad. Yes, the weed is a Euphorbia...perhaps E. prostrata or another Spurge.

Looks like you've done well with your wards! =)

o

Can I add 2 more for ID so I don't have to start a new thread?

First seems like a Mammalia, but seems coarser with stronger spines than a "Red Headed Irishman"... or maybe it is just a variation...?

Second is a weird one, but I'm worried it is just an unnatural hybrid, since that is all I can find online.

o

First is a mammillaria ... maybe bombycina mixed with red headded irish man? ... im no expert, but its very cute and attractive ... i might just steal it ! :O ... second is Mammillaria longimamma ... i love those :) to starta thread just go to the bottom of the page and there is a message box and a tittle box fill those in press preview message and then post :)

o
wrong reply ...

Scratch the first one ... i think it is Mammillaria pringlei mixed with something :P

o

Thanks! I think you are correct with the long tipped one pic #2. The only plant I could find to match was a Ferobergia hybrid. I'm much happier that it is Mammillaria longimamma. I didn't even guess a Mammillaria species. Hope I get a big yellow flower to confim the plant.

The first one... I don't know. Has fewer, thicker spines than a "Red Headed Irishman". "Red Headed Irishman" seems softer and fuzzier to me. The red spines don't appear to be hooked. Doesn't seem to get white on top. No sign of flowers to help ID. Mammillaria supraflumen seems kinda close but not quite right.

I didn't want to start too many ID threads because it seems to annoy some and buries the social threads.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here