Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bikerdoc5968

Please Help

I don't mean to sound brain dead, although I am most of the time! I have never seen pumice available in my area (SE Michigan). I haven't a clue what it even looks like. I know there are substitutes for it. Could someone, who uses it, provide me with pictures of the material?

Comments (9)

• jojosplants
    9 years ago

Here's the pumice I use. I got mine at a feed store, it's called dry stall.

• hijole
    9 years ago

Jojo, thanks for the picture of pumice "Dry Stall" I live next to a town that's called Norco, Ca. Its known as a Horse town and even I've had a hard time finding that stuff. I hear its a good price & good for cacti soil for drainage but I can't seem to locate any. I'll just have to be more vigilant.

Bikerdoc, thanks for asking the question, I'm going to start searching for some.

Greg

• jojosplants
    9 years ago

HI Greg!
    Glad to help! I hope you both can find it! I love it!
    I just put together a large planter box using mostly pumice. I can't find a decent granite here and hate perlite. lol...

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    Original Author
    9 years ago

So I looked up Stall Dry and it said it is, "Composed of a natural blend of food grade diatomaceous earth & clay in a granular form". When I read about "Pumice", the description is, "porous or spongy form of volcanic glass". So I'm a bit confused... what else is new! Stall Dry doesn't sound like "Pumice" or have I missed something, here? The description of the product sounds more like cat litter box material???? In my picture, the Oil Dri is a fired clay product somewhat like Turface. Diatomite is a diatomaceous earth product. The Growstone is a recycled expanded glass material; very light weight and porous. So with what I have should I still search for pumice?

This post was edited by bikerdoc5968 on Sun, May 25, 14 at 8:09

• jojosplants
    9 years ago

Good morning,
    Bikerdoc , I'm not sure about Stall Dry.. you want a product called "Dry Stall"

Here's some info I just got from a web site using "Dry Stall" for google.. It is a product to keep horse stalls dry, and ideal for our mixes. Take a look at the link I've provided . This is from the FAQ section.

"Q: What is "Dry Stall:

A: "DRY STALL" is a naturally occurring highly absorbent lightweight volcanic aggregate. Due to its porosity, it is an ideal medium for aerating, softening, and draining your soil. Therefore, it came from the earth. It is all natural. Dry Stall acts like little marbles through out your native soil, giving the soil better drainage and better aeration. Ideal for mud! Say good-bye to mud with Dry Stall. Indoors, Dry Stall can be used to absorb urine and extend the life of your bedding as well as your flooring. Dry Stall is safe to use as a bedding alone - even for the miniatures. Dry Stall can be placed directly into mud.

I have not used any of the others that you have listed. I have heard that the stuff similar to cat litter/turface can break down over time. the other two I'm not sure about. I thought DE only came in powder form.

Here is a link that might be useful: Agway dealers

This post was edited by jojosplants on Sun, May 25, 14 at 9:44

• jojosplants
    9 years ago

What other materials are you using in your mix? Other than this ones here?

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Jojo. I guess I must have transposed the words when I did my search.

I get an organic mix used by a commercial grower who has befriended me and I mix a small amount into the course grit.

This post was edited by bikerdoc5968 on Sun, May 25, 14 at 10:05

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

My DRY Stall looks just like Jo jo's picture. I found it at a Feed Store of the old time classic variety.No Big Box chain

• jojosplants
    9 years ago

no problem Bikerdoc, I didn't realize there was another product out there with similar name.

I am not real familiar with how much moisture the other products you listed hold. So it's hard to say which one to use.

I've seen it said here many times to use at least 50% pumice when using a bagged mix.

I would stay away from oil dry if you have other choices.
    Hoping someone who knows a little more can chime in today and help you.

Wantonamara~
    Can you help with mix suggestions?
    I am not familiar with some of the other materials.