Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cacti Dish Gardens

Posted by JustJeanneJ 4a (My Page) on
Thu, May 31, 12 at 16:32

I want to either buy or set one up. I have Miracle Gro cacti potting medium but all the pictures I see look like they are potted in rocks and sand? So is it more cost efficient to make one myself or buy one online somewhere, if buying is more efficient, where is a good spot to start, do they come in the container already, or do the plants come seperately and you pot, or do they come with all the "Ingredients" that I will need and I just put it together? Anyone got any suggestions for good combos? I live in Wisconsin and want it small enough to leave out this summer and bring inside this winter. TIA, Jeanne

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cacti Dish Gardens

I think you should make your own! You save a bunch of money that way. I plant mine with regular good draining cactus soil, then put rocks and what not on top

o

I would research soils. There is a lot of different advise on here about soils. I would also get plants that are well matched in temperament. separate between winter growers and summer growers and also some cactus take less moisture than others. Especially if you are mixing cactus and succulents. I have a lot of fun with decorative rocks creating changes in soil level. It is so much more fun than buying a dish garden. The store just mixes them willy nilly and then they die. You can do better.

o

Yeah i recomend researching the cacus needs to ... before i knew much about them i put a melocactus with some other things ... and since they need water in winter it kinda ... died O_o i have 6 cactus gardens and they are the number one thing i enjoy making :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here