Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joe1980_gw

Jades outside in summer

Joe1980
9 years ago

Ok folks, I've been struggling with this, and when I say this, I mean putting jades outside in summer. Up here in Wisconsin, the varieties that are accessible are nothing to brag about, so when you find some good ones, you snap em up and guard em with your life. A couple of years ago I was given a variegata cutting, which is doing great, and last week I found a wayward sunset in a 4" pot hidden amongst a bunch of regular green ones, so I was super excited. I also have a plain green one, which originates from a large one I managed to leave out one fall for a good freezing overnight. I clipped out a chunk from the interior, and rooted it.

With that said, I want to see these guys thrive, and my vision with jades, as always, is not necessarily bonsai, but to grow them into a tree form, but larger. The thing I struggle with is "to be or not to be.....outside". Normally they live in a south window, where they get direct sun just about all day, and they do fine there. I shy away from outside because I take pride in my insect free collection I've maintained for years. Also, since going to gritty mix, if the wind tips anything over, the mix dumps all over, and plants risk damage. As I noted above, in the past my negligence led to a frozen jade, which isn't hard to do with our weather....heck....it was 33 last night. Also, I think I've read that jades tend to shut down when it gets too hot, which wouldn't be ideal.

So, do jades really gain a lot by being outside? Is it stressful to move them in and out regularly, which is what I'd have to do a lot because of weather? Also.....insects; what kind of risk is there? All in all, do I just keep them in the sunny window, at around 70 degrees all the time, or get them outside?

Joe

This post was edited by Joe1980 on Sun, May 18, 14 at 21:44

Comments (8)

• KittieKAT
    9 years ago

I think moving any plant around to much is stressful on us and the plants.. but i understand about the weather issue (i live in MA for Christ sakes!) The only thing i can tell you is that I've done a lot of moving back and forth exspecially at night when the temp really drops!. I actually modified a old Jewelry display case into a sort of greenhouse kinda thing to keep my plants warm or atleast warmer then it is on my Sun porch, that is. Sooo i can have my plants outside to get the sun they need but also have the option of putting the less cold hardy ones inside the displayed case thru the colder nights with a fan on inside so the humidity doesn't get to too high for them. Then i take them out in the morning when its warmer out. This way I'm not changing there environment to too drastically. I've gotten a lot of bad reviews on having the display case as a greenhouse people didn't think it would work the way i wanted it to, but in fact it works quite well for me...so don't think you have to ruin your plans or what you believe it's worki ng or will work foryour because of what some people ssay. On here, if you think its better to shuffle your plants back and forth and its been working out fine for you...then keep it up. Or if you'd like to try something else that someone suggests then go for it hun.

If you'd like to keep then outside but Protect them from cold, bugs and blowing over I'd suggest making a small greenhouse kinda shelter or buy one online to put your plants in when it gets cold or windy. I'm sure you can find some things online to show you how to make one yourself, or find sites to buy one of you'd like. I'm here for help if you'd like to know how i repurposed mine into a greenhouse type thing or for any suggestions on how to go about putting it together and what you'll need in it.

Good luck!

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    9 years ago

They gain so much vitality being outdoors....but you don't want to burn those leaves, so put them in outdoor shade first. I have a hard time keeping some of my variegates from losing the pale leaves to browning and sunburn.

Josh

• Joe1980
    Original Author
    9 years ago

You thinking maybe I should keep the variegata variety in the shade? I notice that the white part can even get browned just sitting in the window. My deck is south facing, so it can get brutal in summer, but we have a gazebo out there, so perhaps eastern sun in the morning, and shade the rest of the day?

Joe

9 years ago

Yes, I think that would work well.
    This past week, we had temps close to 100F, so I brought my planter of rare variegates indoors to an eastern window....the pale leaves still took a hit.

Josh

• Joe1980
    Original Author
    9 years ago

So let me ask this: in a climate like mine, where it's not warmer than 60 at night very often, would the jades feel like fall is coming going from warmer nights inside, to cool, 50 something nights outside?

I've been putting the jade brigade outside in the sun for the last few days, for a couple of hours, then in at night. I'll add a half hour more each day, and eventually leave them out.

Joe

9 years ago

Sounds like a plan.
    Cool nights will help with those rich Jade colors.

Josh

• meyermike_1micha
    9 years ago

Don't feel bad..I got a little over zelous and burnt many of my white and pale yellow leaves too for the first time..

I hate that....But the leaves that drop will be replaced with fresh now branches and leaves! Natures way of healing itself..

MIke_-)

• Joe1980
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I am thinking about another trip to the greenhouse this week, to see if I can gather up a couple more varieties of jades. That said, should there be an acclimation process with a greenhouse grown jade, going out on my deck in the sun? I have my jade brigade set up on a shelf that receives direct sun from sunup until about 2pm. After that, all shade. Being on the SE side of my house and under an overhang, they get protection from afternoon sun, wind, and rain.

Joe