Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Easter cactus help please

Posted by prayerrock zone 5 (My Page) on
Sat, May 30, 09 at 16:41

I got these easter cactus cuttings in a trade recently and they are shriveling up pretty bad and the buds have mostly dropped off. They seemed to be doing well when I first got them but they are not rooting well. I am afraid they will die. The leaves are now pretty thin and shrivelly.

Can some one help me please to know what to do to try to save these cuttings?

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Easter cactus help please

I'm not an expert, but when I happen to knock off some leaf segments, I just put them into some soil and wait. Yes, they will look awful, and start to shrivel. They should root fairly quickly, and when they do you'll know. The cuttings should re-plump. I read your other post, and that sucks. I have never traded here, but I do have LOTS of succulents. If these die on you, maybe I can try to replace them?

o

Thank you for responding to my post its good to know that they are looking as they should. So far now 1 white and 2 of the red have tiny roots starting to grow so I am getting more hopeful. I didt know they shriveled up so bad before they root. Thank you for your kindness.

Mary

o

You can easily save these cuttings if you follow these simple rules. First, moisten the bottom of the cutting. 2. Dip the bottom of the cutting in a rooting powder. 3. Allow cutting to sit for twenty-four hours so the bottom will callus. 4. Pot cutting in a cactus potting soil 5. Do not water cutting, however mist everyday for four weeks. After week four, water but allow to dry slightly between waterings. I've been following this procedure for over thirty years for my Easter, Christmas, and Orchid cactus. I haven't lost a cutting yet and I give many "new" plants to friends. I currently have twelve cuttings outside, in the shade that I started last week. I gow all of mine outside on a porch that receives filtered early morning sun. I hope this helps you. The only time my plants come inside are when temps go down to freezing, which thankfully isn't very often.

o

Thank you very much I will try this!

Mary

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here