Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bikerdoc5968

Echeveria subsessilis variegata

I got this at one of the big box stores. As many of us know, sometimes the growers from whom they purchase plants may not have correct names. So can anyone verify that this is, indeed, Echeveria subsessilis variegata? Thanks

Howard

Comments (19)

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

Howard,
    I believe it would now be considered Echeveria peacockii adding its cultivar name 'Morning Light'. (But just be aware, there is another 'Morning Light'-diff species origin.) I had 2 of them, now 1 is barely hanging on. Congrats on your find!

Another similar, but different...is Echeveria secunda 'Compton Carousel' is one I'm on the lookout for! =)

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Rosemarie. I had the "other" 'Morning Light' and had a major time trying to keep it alive. The 'Compton Carousel' is definitely worth looking for. If you find it, I'm in for one, too!

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This information is from San Marcos Growers. So for me it is all confusing. Is Echeveria peacockii variegata the same as E. secunda AKA 'Lenore Dean', 'Compton Carousel'???? Well, anyway, I do know someone who has them for sale; she is a wonderful person, Tina, at www.Succulents.us.

"The plant, designated as Echeveria secunda 'DS-2009', was discovered by David Sheppard, a bay area garden designer, in the garden of Lenore Dean in Sonoma California. This plant has had various names attached to including 'Lenore Dean' and 'Serenity' but we list it as 'Compton Carousel', as this was the name this plant was first sold under when it was released in Europe and at botanic garden sales in the US."

• bernardyjh
    8 years ago

Howard, sorry for reviving an old thread. But how are you doing on these variegated typed echeverias?

I just lost my 4th Compton Carousel to rot, they always seem to be losing a lot of their lower leaves for a few weeks, and until the point it seem almost stabilized, the center of the stem suddenly display signs of rot, then it dies away...

I can't seem to figure out what's the problem. I only watered them by dunking the bottom of the pot, and no moisture ever touched the stem. They are all placed in a bright windowsill with no direct sunlight, with a oscillating fan blowing it almost 24/7.

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Bernard, I wish I had an answer for you. As you may know from another of my more recent posts regarding losing two Echeveria 'Moondust' I'm not the best person to address this issue or my plants might still be alive. The plant pictured above is still alive but doesn't do much growing. Here it is today with very small pups! It is growing more compact and upright I assume because it is outside in full sun all day. I really don't do anything special with it but I do restrict watering. It just finished raining so it is wet now!

• bernardyjh
    8 years ago

Hi Howard, as stubborn as I might sound, I'm really determined to find out why these sensitive echeverias tend to have rot midway in their stems. But right now, I'm completely max out on some moolah, can't burn any more money, need to set my priorities straight. Maybe I'll try them in another season, they don't seem to do well in the heat, and I believe actually becomes dormant.

Echeveria moondust parentage is laui x liliacina right? It's such a shame!

Your variegated plant is looking great!! Thanks for the picture. Very nice pups there. How often do you water this guy? And is it in a more drier mix?

• hablu
    8 years ago

Howard, if by any chance you get board by them you can Always send them over here.

harry

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Harry, after seeing some of your beauties, I think you're the one who should be sending something this way... LOL

Bernard, it is growing in a more organic mix from what I am using now. And I think I may go back to something with more organic material for my Eches, because those that are in my very course mix really aren't doing as well as I would like. I water when they get somewhat dry. I was watering midday but now realize from what you have posted, this may be boring the roots so I water more in the late afternoon/early evening.

• hablu
    8 years ago

hm...I never water in the daytime. Always evening. Spraying too.

harry

bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI thanked hablu
  • Laurent - French Riviera (zone 9a)
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Hi ! It's Echeveria peacockii variegata, not subsessilis.

There are 2 forms :

The most common is often sold as subsessilis variegata but the name subsessilis is not valid anymore : http://www.google.fr/imgres?imgurl=http%3A%2F%2Fpics.davesgarden.com%2Fpics%2F2008%2F08%2F12%2FKell%2Ff43e2e.jpg&imgrefurl=http%3A%2F%2Fdavesgarden.com%2Fguides%2Fpf%2Fshowimage%2F125431%2F&h=797&w=800&tbnid=QBy0Fd5BBqst4M%3A&docid=oe5P8NHwLhMQ_M&ei=8ujVVcD_DoiAaf_WosAF&tbm=isch&iact=rc&uact=3&dur=1758&page=1&start=0&ndsp=18&ved=0CC0QrQMwBGoVChMIwMDpjfS3xwIVCEAaCh1_qwhY

The other form is much more rare. It is often sold as Echeveria 'Morning Beauty' variegata but it's not a valid name. The supposedly natural (non-variegated) form of Echeveria peacockii sold as 'Morning Beauty' is not officialy admitted, the name is not valid : https://www.flickr.com/photos/46507860@N02/7982782156/

I think that 'Morning Light' is a non-valid japanese name.

I grow both forms, when my plants flower I will get them precisely identified by the ICN.

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks, Laurent. I knew this as Rosemarie corrected my original post above. I still don't get the difference between this and E. 'Lenore Dean', 'Compton Carousel'??? And is this what you are calling 'Morning Light/Beauty'????

Thanks,Howard

• rosemariero
    8 years ago

As far as I know, Echeveria peacockii 'Morning Light' is a valid name, as it was published (by someone in Japan). I would love to know if this is correct, Laurent. My plant is just about dead...on its last few leaves. :( Yes, Howard, the name of your plant (IMO).

My friend, Cok, scanned the pic from the publication to show me (back when it was considered subsessilis)~ link: Echeveria peacockii 'Morning Light'

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Nice to see you around RoRo. So my plant (same plant top and bottom of post) is Echeveria peacockii variegata. Then there is Echeveria 'Lenore Dean' AND/OR Echeveria 'Compton Carousel' ???? All of which are different than Echeveria peacockii 'Morning Whatever'? Talk about spinning my head...

OK, I'm clear on one thing: Echeveria 'Morning Light' and Echeveria 'Afterglow' are brother/sister and nothing like Echeveria peacockii as their parents are Echeveria cante and Echeveria shaviana.

• bernardyjh
    8 years ago

Howard, I know.. When variegated species gets a rename, it gets very confusing. I think Lauren spoke before about Echeveria 'Lenore Dean' and 'Compton Carousel' , they are both variegated forms of Echeveria Secunda, just that people in the industry have been giving them names after their discovery for easier identification, those names now stick with the plant.

I think I need to alter my mix, perhaps my grittiness is slowly killing my delicate plants.. btw, never water mid-day, you can try spritzing the pots if they are made of clay, it has proven to cool and insulate the roots from the heat for a couple of hours before the sun intensity cools over.

8 years ago

Sorry Rosemariero, I didn't see your post.

I thought that 'Morning Light' was a japanese commercial name. I will ask the ICN if the name is valid or not, I will tell you their answer ;)

• davez7anv
    8 years ago

whatever they are laurent your plants are exquisite

8 years ago

Thank you Daves !

• bernardyjh
    8 years ago

Laurent, Rosemarie, Howard--

I would like to request an ID here, is this a Variegated Subsessilis or the rarer form, Variegated Morning Beauty? How do you identify the difference?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Echeveria-Subsessilis-Variegated-Beautiful-Pastel-very-rare-succulent-/141855656041

Bernard