Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wantonamara

Just the FACS , Ma'am.

We have talked and talked and some things have percolated to the surface that has been bothering some. Some people are tired of addressing the same question over and over. These frequently asked questions usually have something to do with soil. I went to the FAQ and search function and I found the Jade FAQ addressed watering and propagating but not soil. There is no Fac addressed for Cactus. There is no soil FAQ article to read . So we find ourselves always being asked questions around this issue.

When I came here I was not good at doing searches because I did not see that function of the site due to no-observant tendencies, so I would have been one who would be asking easily researched questions. I think a good cogent article on soil requirements and solutions written in a article would be a good addition to the FAQs that we have.

I think one of the wise should do this. I think someone who has a lot of knowledge or a couple of the Wise should collaborate on this. I don't think I am the one to give it a proper authoritative and learned scientific stamp. Maybe a geographically diverse committee to address availability of supplies and cultural needs. Maybe one writer that runs the article by others to get their feedback.

What do y'all think about this . Do you think this would be good. If so , who do you think should write this FAQ, or Who , out there Who has the chops, would like to do this? Who would we contact in MANAGEMENT to add a FAQ.

Are there other Facs that you would like to see written? Do any of the Jade aficionados feel that the Jade FAQ could be improved.

This post was edited by wantonamara on Sat, May 11, 13 at 18:04

Comments (25)

• ChasingCenturies (Arizona 9b)
    10 years ago

Erm, I don't mean to be a smartass or nothin', but it's FAQ: Frequently Asked Cuestions. ;-)

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

Not being a smartass with GS...I was going to mention same. :P Thanks for posing the Qs, Mara. Hope you & others make progress with it!

In the past, management contacted forum members, asking them if they would be willing to write FAQ for different forums. I recall being asked to do that for the Name That Plant forum. We started gathering all questions we could think of that were asked frequently & were getting input from forum members (via a post). Trouble was, Spike (previous owner) sold the forum before we got our info gathered & written in final form. I jumped ship (along with many others) at the time, so have no idea what happened after that.

I'm sure if you contact the powers that be here (Tamara?) that they would help with what was needed (input, facts involved with answers to the Qs, form to use, access or where to send written FAQ). I'm not sure if they still have a Suggestions Forum & if you have to ask there.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is why this dyslexic, sloppy Queen of the malaprop should not write this thing. These details just pass me by.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I did edit some things there but was unable to edit subject header.

• hanzrobo
    10 years ago

Great idea! Many essays to be written! I have some things to say about soil but they would only be a representation of my current practices, honed by trial and error. People are going to disagree. I'm sure I'm not done learning yet, however. A consensus between wise ones is indeed a wise idea from one who has proven her own wisdom, to me at least.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Rose, Thanks for that information. If anyone is interested in helping speak up, even if it is checking over a piece and suggesting some changes. Or if anyone has a suggestion for a subject for FAQ, again speak up.

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    10 years ago

And here I thought this was a misplaced thread about the Fellow of the American College of Surgeons.

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    10 years ago

And here I thought this was a misplaced thread about the Fellow of the American College of Surgeons.

• hijole
    10 years ago

I'm liking this already, I can feel all the energy coming together kinda like the meeting of the minds focusing on the soil for, well for what my heart beats after and I believe every single one here too, cacti & succulents and besides I'm always trying to experiment with my soil mix to improve my growing conditions, and I still honestly have many questions still :/

I think about this a good deal of time and think, - I wonder if I could use decomposed granite and mix it with top soul ect...

Standing on the side lines for new recipes on soil. Thanks wantanmara and all of you joining together on this bcuz its much appreciated.

Greg

• hijole
    10 years ago

I'm liking this already, I can feel all the energy coming together kinda like the meeting of the minds focusing on the soil for, well for what my heart beats after and I believe every single one here too, cacti & succulents and besides I'm always trying to experiment with my soil mix to improve my growing conditions, and I still honestly have many questions still :/

I think about this a good deal of time and think, - I wonder if I could use decomposed granite and mix it with top soul ect...

Standing on the side lines for new recipes on soil. Thanks wantanmara and all of you joining together on this bcuz its much appreciated.

Greg

• paul_
    10 years ago

"Top soul", Greg? What supernatural entities are you in contact with? And what sin/bad karma is said soul guilty of that it should be mixed with decomposed granite?

• asleep_in_the_garden
    10 years ago

Wondered if anyone would catch the typo...didn't expect Paul to go metaphysical with it though! LOL

My guess is that in a past life,Greg used water retaining mixes with his cacti & sux. That can follow you for generations,RIGHT? :)

• hijole
    10 years ago

Paul, Paul Paul... Lol... Well all I can say is I tried to fix that 3 X's darn it :/ and yes I actually am into the spiritual things don't you know...

So let's start in the beginning, God made man out of the dust of the ground: that's where top soul comes in lol...

Now imagine if we were made outta the wrong soil, O bother!!! We could get root rot and all kinds of stuff could go wrong.

Allow me one more humurous line if you can stand it, I heard someone say that God made us out of the dust of the ground we shouldn't get upset when someone calls us a dirt bag :))

Asleepin thegarden - I like your humour to lol... Typo is right darn smart phone. It's a little tougher when I use my phone when away from my desk bcuz I can't see the whole picture until its to late :/ so I'm just gunna laugh this one off instead of editing it.

Happy mothers day all you mamas out there :))

Greg

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well , If anyone is interested in helping, email me through my page.

• teengardener1888
    10 years ago

I cant tell if this is a friendly idea or a dissagreement

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Not an argument, a discussion with some humor.

I improve my soil with decomposed granite,basalt sand,granite sand and compost. My caliche is very depleted in minerals and alkaline. The decomposed granite here has red clay in it.

• asleep_in_the_garden
    10 years ago

Dumb Question time...Is red clay bad?

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    Original Author
    10 years ago

All a mater of degree. A claybased loam is good. A improved red clay in texas hold s moisture nicely. but solid red clay is a hard to farm. Drainage is bad and it becomes a brick in dry weather breaking roots and cracking. We call it RED DEATH. Adding a bit of red clay to a caliche based soil is good. It contains iron and is more fertile.

• mrlike2u
    10 years ago

Seems to me as some people are tired of answering a plant growing question they should give them selves a break and not even read the thread at all

This would allow them to save their time and energy from reading the posted question and time of efforts of typing any response at all.

The saved time from NOT reading questions about plants of interest PLUS the time of NOT responding could be used to catch up on some rest if so desired. As said some are tired and all.

How can you say something that sounds good enough by your formal request. Attempt to explain your reasoning as a want for you and others whom agree with your want when you dont even want what your asking for ?

In English ? If you really didn't want to waste your time talking about jades why did you bring the subject of jades up ?

Imagine responding with If you dont know how to be tired of Jades it's in the FAQ.

• asleep_in_the_garden
    10 years ago

Red death,huh?....OK that DOES sound bad! :)

I remember being told to pot lotus in clay but well.....that's an aquatic and somehow I'll bet the rules are hmmmm....maybe a little different,eh? lol

• hijole
    10 years ago

Tell me about it Mrlike2U, I experienced this on the Orchid site ( Not you Josh - greenman, not U)
    But I posted some question more than once I'll have you know about my Poormans Orchid and I guess I asked to many times 1 to many because I got No response on a simple question.

I enjoy hearing stuff Hot off the press so I ask a lot of questions and I admit many times more than a couple but come on lets try and help the Newbies out here, They find this site thinking, Great! I just found the answers to ALL my cacti & succulent needs and a little on soil and then to be told LOOK IT UP!!! it's already here SOMEWHERE...

If you don't want to answer then don't. Period. Give some of the others a chance to spread there experiences, We just might all learn something new.

O well enough venting I have to think of some new questions :)

Greg

• mrlike2u
    10 years ago

And on the other side we often read how GW has great knowledgeable people with informative information. .

FACT is GW has asked for FAQ volunteers in the past and nobody felt the need for a new FAQ only to be asked for at a later time by some who dont want to do it themselves then or now.

Point being an FAQ may be one persons last resort with out the feedback from people such as those mentioned from you Greg lets allow informative knowledgeable people to continue

My comments are not to say there should be no FAQ at all but are a refusal of any self appointed authority on GW that threaten a basic right. The right of expression and the right of choose which is what brings problems, solutions and questions without worded intimidation of any self appointed authorities.

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    10 years ago

I've written one FAQ and contributed to others. While I'm not exactly not volunteering to do another, I'll let you young does and bucks at 'em first. I've available for editing, as long as you don't use big words, convoluted syntax and foreign diacritical marks.

• paul_
    10 years ago

A FAQ suggestion, if I may (or even if I mayn't ) ...

For whomever is so honored to work on the FAQ, it might be of value to create a table/chart of common abbreviations & terms (slang or otherwise) used in this hobby along with their meaning(s). It can be surprising how many such things are taken for granted by hobbyists that totally perplex newbies or dabblers. Probably the easiest way to go about creating said table would be the start of a thread focused on this topic. Folks could then include terms/abbreviations they are familiar with (including the meanings) or terms/abbrevs they have seen and are still mystified by. After a month or so, all the entries could then be compiled into a useful table/chart.

Opinions?

• mrlike2u
    10 years ago

opinions ?... in a zone hardy area it's been mentioned that Jades grow as easily and as quickly as Lilacs and White Birch do in a different zone.

Perhaps an entire page or two referencing weed control for jades would be a great help to those who have the opposite problem of the more wiling to take a challenge in different JADE growing zones and grow them anyways as they may.
    To those who JADE FAQ the posters that are bored maybe all they need is take on a new challenge and be subject to there own poor responses of READ THE FAQ