Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Disinfect mealybugs from soil

Posted by NameTaken 5 (My Page) on
Sun, May 18, 14 at 17:19

Hi guys, so I had about 25 or so succulent species killed by mealys. Now that i have a crap load of soil, I want to use it for new plants. Ive spent alot of time making this soil so tossing it out is not an option. I dont know if I had root mealys, but I know they were on the plant.

Is there anyway to disinfect the soil? Will the mealies even be in the soil? Maybe I can throw it in the oven and take it up to 80c? The freezing weather is not around anymore or else I wouldve thrown the entire bucket outside.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Disinfect mealybugs from soil

The baking will kill whatever's there (be prepared for a stink) but leaf mealies and root mealies are two different insects (maybe the genus is different, too). No, leaf mealies don't live in the soil, as soil mealies don't live above the soil.

o

Baking the soil should work:)

o

Thanks both, I would like to pass on the baking but if I have no choice I will give it a shot. How long can leaf mealies live without plants? I remember when they were around Id see one on the corner of my pot, so they were not restricted to just leaves. Ive not seen a topic like this on the net either, so either Im the first one or Im doing something wrong.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here