Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mrsmortarmixer

First attempt at indoor succulents. Could use some help.

mrsmortarmixer
9 years ago

I am starting with 6 different plants-

Zebra Plant
Echeveria 'Chroma' (hybrid)
Echeveria 'Lola'
Compact Mini Jade
Hen and Chicks (green if it matters)
Watch Chain

I have perlite, sand, peat moss, some generic potting soil, and garden dirt at my disposal for the potting mix, but have access to a nearby greenhouse that should carry anything I could possibly need.

I've never tried succulents inside, so I have a few questions-

Can I pot all of these together? If so, how much space around each plant?
What is the minimum amount of sunlight these can get to survive? I have an open shelf about 7ft above the floor that sits across from some large, south-facing windows. It gets bright in the kitchen during parts of the day, but lacks direct sunlight. If not, can I sit them right in front of a south facing window? Will this torch them?
Assuming these survive until winter, do I need to do anything special?
Are any of these particularly vulnerable to black thumbs? I killed (I think anyways) the only plant everyone told me I couldn't kill (philodendron), so morale is at an all-time low and I bought these as a pick-me-up. I'd rather they not suffer the same fate.

Comments (4)

• volcanonerd
    9 years ago

I can't say as to sunlight, but I do know that the soil you concoct depends on where you live, humidity levels, and how hot the sun gets. I use 50-50 cactus and succulent soil and washed gravel because my plants get 4-6 hours of morning sun outside and the rest of the day bright indirect. It's not particularly humid in Albuquerque normally, so I water every ten days-two weeks. Hope this helps!!!! God knows I almost killed my argy and Crassula the first time I brought them home.

• Joe1980
    9 years ago

Succulents need plenty of light, and if indoors, the most direct sun possible. Sunlight through a window is not as intense as our eyes perceive it to be. I can only speak from experience on the jade, as I haven't kept the others you mention, but even direct sun all day through a window doesn't give my green jade any good color.

As for the soil, all I can do is recommend you search the term "gritty mix". I use a 50/50 mix of screened turface and granite chicken grit. I have gotten excellent results, and repotting is a breeze. I will tell you though that you should stay away from peat moss, sand, and whatever you do, do NOT use any garden soil. Your goal is a mix that drains freely, and allows air in the root zone, because excess moisture is a death sentence for succulents.

Joe

• mrsmortarmixer
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm in the midwest, where humidity is high spring-fall (80% today), but extremely dry all winter both outdoors and in.

I will definitely see if I can find the ingredients for the gritty mix, but I'm not sure if I can find everything locally. I could probably order what I need online, I suppose. I will not use sand, peat, or garden soil. I'm in no hurry to do anything with them, they seem pretty content living on the front porch for now, although I'm completely clueless as to how often I need to water them while they are outside. The dirt they are in now looks bone dry, but the plants themselves don't look shriveled or wilty, so I'm assuming all is well.

I only have experience with succulents as outdoor annuals, and I just plant them on the corner of the porch. The soil is terrible there and they go from periods of extreme mud to baked throughout the seasons. I'm really surprised they make it through the rainy months, but I've yet to lose one before the cold comes. Maybe I've just lucked out with very tolerant varieties.

• volcanonerd
    9 years ago

If in doubt-don't water. :)