Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lyceebear

Please help ID Possibly Opuntia sp.

lyceebear
9 years ago

Hey everyone,
I was hoping someone would have an ID for this cacti. My mom picked them up someplace, got irritated that they wouldn't root, and passed the poor things along to me. They each have a few roots now. Any ideas? my best guess was some kind of Opuntia, based off of some web searches but i haven't been able to narrow it down. They are all very small still, only about the size of a dime to a quarter.

Thanks in advance for any guidance!

Comments (6)

• aztcqn
    9 years ago

Looks like opuntia microdasys. A mini opuntia!
    To cut down the risk of rotting, with the small size of the cactus and barely developing root system, you don't want the mix staying wet or water accumulating in the dish below. I recommend a smaller pot and a cactus mix with about 30-40% perlite or pumice to open it up. If you plan to keep in that size pot, a fast draining mix is necessary.

• lyceebear
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks so much aztcqn! I will definitely look into Opuntia microdasys! I appreciate the tips!

It's currently in as small a container as I have, a chiobani yogurt container (with an added hole in the bottom!). I'll keep my eyes peeled for anything smaller. The mix is Al's 5-1-1, which is supposed to be a well draining mix assuming I made it right! =) If you think the gritty mix would be better I can use that instead, I have stopped using the straight up MG cactus/succulent mix, its too fine and becomes hard as a rock! I have been keeping it dry =) its in an East facing window, which unfortunately is the best I can give it.

Thanks again, much appreciated! Hopefully these little guys will benefit from your guidance!

• jojosplants
    9 years ago

I would think if they are in the 5-1-1 they should be OK. Others will chime in if not. For those not familiar with it the mix is
    5 parts screened bark
    1 part peat
    1 part perlite.
    I love this mix for a huge variety of plants!

Looking at the pic.. wow they are tiny! lol...
    At a quick glance I thought that was a quarter, now I see it's a dime!

• KittieKAT
    9 years ago

Awwww, good luck to you

• aztcqn
    9 years ago

Oh Wow, Is that what that is, a yogurt cup. :]
    2nd take - a dime!!!

Def, a great way to re-purpose after a tasty treat.

If it were me, I would put it in a mix specifically for cactus. Al's 511 while a really good mix, contains bark which can still hold water longer than is good for a cactus, in my opinion. In fact barky 511 is what I use for roses and orchids, which require more moisture, retained for longer period than is good for a cactus. I also would advise no peat in the medium. If there is nothing else, regular soil or leaf mold with 20-30% sand and 50% pumice works well for a lot of cactus. Can use perlite, but look for the largest particles you can.

From the looks of it, not doing too bad. 2 are even putting out new padlets!

This post was edited by aztcqn on Wed, May 21, 14 at 1:36

• lyceebear
    Original Author
    9 years ago

@jojosplants Thanks for the clarification on the 5-1-1 =) and, I know so tiny! They haven't changed much since I got them, I'm looking forward to seeing them grow!

@KittieKAT Thanks!

@aztcqn I use what I can, especially since the next smallest pot I have on hand is around 8 inches. I figured this would work for now and then I can see how they grow and get them a nice pot of their own. Thank you for the soil tips, I'll work on getting them into something better suited to their needs! I'm certainly excited about those little padlets!