Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Large Jade Whack and Repot

Posted by americangolden ZONE 5 (My Page) on
Sun, May 27, 12 at 17:41

Hello GW,

I got this plant a few days ago, and have been trimming it up to my liking over the past couple of days. I have it outside, and we recieved a large amount of rain 2 nights ago and last night, and with how horrible the soil looked in the pot it was in I thought I better transplant it a little earlier than anticipated because I didn't want to risk root rot.

I put together Al's gritty mix and put this Jade into a 14" terra cotta pot. I think it looks wonderful and I am very excited for it to enjoy its new home :). It was pretty hard to clean up the roots as the dirt was caked on very well, but I think I did a great job at removing as much of the dirt as I could with picking around and using the hose.

I plan on doing pruning once new growth starts taking off again and I see that it has taken to the new mix. I figured I'd leave on what is there to help with the transplanting process. Let me know what you all think.

Here is a before and after picture to get the idea of what I did with this wonderful plant. I have a lot of cuttings if anyone is interested I'd just request that you pay for shipping and I can send you as many cuttings as you want. Some are pretty large.

Enjoy :)

Before

After

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Large Jade Whack and Repot

Hi, good job, looks great.....
I am green with envy here...
what a great plant.....

o

It's a beaautiful plant indeed.

o

Nice job pulling a shape like that from the jumble of branches. Does it still look good at other angles?

o

Wow! Looks amazing!

T

o

i really like your work. that plant is going to look great! i can't wait to see it in a year or two.

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Mon, May 28, 12 at 5:14

Actually, I'd have reduced it much more than you did. I think the plant would have MUCH more impact if it was about 1/2 the ht it is in the second picture (from the soil line).

Al

o

You did a great job! Looks very nice!

I see what Al is saying (I did that with Jades and my Desert Rose)..."pugged" it or really (whacked)it. It is a very scary thing to do, cutting off that much. I was afraid I might have killed it it,lol...but it looked great once it leafed out and filled in. I don't blame you for not wanting to take too much off all at once.

Best of luck!

o

• Posted by whip1 z5 ne Ohio (My Page) on
    Mon, May 28, 12 at 11:46

That's a really nice plant! I agree with Al. I'd cut it some more, and root all of the cuttings.

o

Nice work!

Josh

o

Thank you everyone for the kind comments and suggestions :).

o

I agree with Al. I would also cut it down some more. I have several that I removed all leaves and small branches from about three years ago. They are looking fantastic now. Chop yours down to the thickest branches and it will have a terrific shape. It that removes all leaves, don't worry. It will grow new ones. You can't hurt it by trimming. Only too much water can kill it. :-)

Brad

o

I look forward to trimming it down more once some new growth starts. I figured all the cutting and the transplant was enough shock for one weekend :-)

o

AE,

No need to wait, the choppers among us need immediate satisfaction, too.

Since the plant is going into semi-dormancy (with the higher ambient temperatures it won't be doing much growing), and, as Brad says, it's well nigh indestructible and not a shock hazard....

o

Not telling you to trim more since ultimately its your Jade and your decision. I just wanted to share a couple of pictures with you of mine when I "pugged" it. For me I do most of my pruning (FL) in the fall usually around end of Oct. or Nov. since that is when mine grows the best, summers my Jades are almost dormant just like Jeff mentioned.

Taken 10-16-08

Almost 3 months later...1-3-09

o

• Posted by rina_ 6a Ont (My Page) on
    Tue, May 29, 12 at 17:13

Nancy

that is nice jade; do you have more recent photo of it?
Rina

o

Thanks Rina!

Here's one taken a couple of months ago...

o

Wed, May 30, 12 at 7:54

Time to thin out the secondary branches so you don't get unsightly knobs/swellings where multiple branches originate from very close to the same point on the main branches. I'd first remove anything growing toward the center of the plant, and anything occurring in the forks, then go from there. From the stub you started with, I would develop about 12 branches. The key to a good looking plant isn't the number of branches (like a porcupine), it's how well a few branches are developed - primarily by pinching and eliminating branches (especially opposite branches) that have no future as part of making the composition attractive.

Good going, Nance - as always. ;-)

YPA

o

Nancy

looks great, healthy & nice color - gives me courage to chop mine considerably...

Rina

o

Thanks tapla. I guess I have some work to do this weekend :-)

o

Thanks Al and Rina!

Good luck with whatever you decide to do Americangolden...looking forward to more pictures.

o

Hello everyone,

No time like the present right :-)?? I have begun pugging the plant, but ran into a roadblock. There is 2 big twisty branches that come off of one side. I'm not sure if I should cut it at the base trunk or just cut a portion off? Also if you see anywhere else that I should trim bet let me know.

Here is some pictures at different angles, maybe I can get some helping comments. Thanks everyone!

o

Can anyone offer any guidance where to make my final cuts? I'd hate to cut off a whole branch if un-needed. Thanks!

o

Hey, nice cuts! I love that mass of trunks.

If it were mine, I would now remove any material that extends beyond the edge of the pot,
perhaps leaving an inch or two of overhang to preserve some of those great thick branches.
I like to "chase" the branches and foliage inward so that the canopy is balanced over the central
trunk. I do this for aesthetics, for winter management, and for plant stability.

It's completely your choice, of course.

Josh

o

My jade plant has grown wide, not tall. I guess I should trim it to make it grow tall??

o

Thu, May 31, 12 at 17:38

Here's a brief critique. You want your branches to taper from fat at the bottom to thin at the top, so you might better have truncated the large branches immediately above one of the small branches you removed, and left the rest of the smaller branches a couple of inches long. If you look at how trees grow, which is what you're trying to mimic, you'll see the heavy branches at the bottom and finer branching toward the top. The branch in the middle of the plant should probably be the tallest - imagine a cone shape and reduce your branches in roughly that shape for now - you'll have many more pruning opportunities as the plant matures. The branch that is up against the wire on the left in the picture 2nd from the top should be cut back to just above the vertical branch that comes off of it close to the main trunk line and send the cutting to me. If you just trust me, I'll make it worth your while. ;-) Eventually, you want your plant to have 1 head (apex). It has several heads now, and it confuses the eye because you can't find the top.

Can you add a photo looking straight down on the plant?

Al

o

Here is a quick snap from up top.

o

Chopped off the large branch hanging off the side this morning.

o

Fri, Jun 1, 12 at 15:58

I have to ask what the purpose of the cage is? Keeping the jades in, or something else out?

The plant looks really good now. Give it a year or so, and it will look great!

Rob

o

There is some animal here that eats my Jade plants by chewing down the branches. Last year I had lost countless Jade plants due to them chewing them all down. Even with that huge Jade plant that I just posted pictures of something was starting to chew on the one branch that hung over the pot. I don't know what is doing it, but this is the reason I built that cage to stop whatever it is from killing my plants :-(

o

Sat, Jun 2, 12 at 18:09

Interesting. I've never had a problem with my plants. I'd do the same if that was happening to my plants. You might want to invest in a trail cam for hunting. They're motion activated, so you could see what is doing the damage.

o

Yeah that sounds like a good idea.

o

AE,

Just as an FYI, I'm going to use this thread as a primer for my new really, really sort-of-jejune show ' Large Canadian Jade Whack and Report'. While the one I got yesterday isn't as large as this one

Photobucket

it weighed about 26 kilos, including the craptastic soil it's in (but minus almost all of the leaves and floppy limbs).

o

That's fine Cactus. Awesome picture by the way!

o

That is a BEAUTY Jeff...jut gorgeous!! Looking forward to the follow up.

Nancy

o

**UPDATE**

It's been a few weeks so I just wanted to post an update. The plant was looking pretty horrible to say the least, but earlier this week we got some much needed rain, and with the wonderful warm weather we have been having I have noticed the few leaves on the plant that I left on have plumped up and also lots of new growth!

The pictures aren't the greatest off of my phone, but hopefully you can see what I am talking about. I'll post an update again when I see some better growth that is picture worthy :).

o

Congrats!! Nothing like fresh Rain water...

You're Jade will recover nicely I'm sure.

o

How long does it take for a large Jade plant like this to fill back out?

o

Looks like it's right on track!
A large Jade like this will take 4 months minimum before it has some nice green leaf tufts.
But give it a full year's growth to really evaluate. No harm in continuing to prune and refine
the branches as new growth comes in.

Josh

o

Thanks for the info greenman. I will continue to prune into shape as new growth continues. I'll provide another update later this summer :-).

o

Hello everyone,

Just posting an update again how the plant is coming along. It seems to be putting out a lot of new growth which i'm thankful for. I don't think I am going to do any pruning on this plant until next spring/summer as to let it fill out a bit.

Here's a quick picture from my phone this morning.

o

• Posted by jolj 7b/8a-S.C.,USA (My Page) on
    Sat, Aug 11, 12 at 22:59

Nice plants.
The first blooming jade plant I saw was in a book.
I was told that they had to be big to bloom.
I now know that that is not always the case.

o

• Posted by alex_i 8 Las Vegas, NV (My Page) on
    Sun, Aug 12, 12 at 0:23

americangolden - Amazing what an aggressive haircut does to human hair and jades; the new growth is always better. For less than 4 months, it looks awesome!

o

I'm hoping that my Jades start to grow a bit more now that it's normal temps again. It was so hot for so long.

o

Be patient. It'll look great in late October :-)

Josh

o

I can't wait greenman28 :).

Does anyone have experience with having a Jade that large that bloomed before a whack and how it responds after. I am asking because the woman that sold this plant to me told me that it bloomed for her and it still had the dead flowers on it when I picked it up.

I am curious if it will still bloom after being whacked or if the plant needs time to recover enough energy to do so again? Thanks for anyone who can answer this.

o

One can never tell.

I received some cuttings from a mature plant and my cuttings have bloomed for
the past two years I've had them. I know that the trimmed parent plant bloomed, too.

Josh

o

Ok thanks for the info. Guess we will have to wait and see what mother nature has in store.

o

Sun, Aug 19, 12 at 22:25

I don't have as much experience as others, but I would be shocked if it bloomed this year after such a drastic cut. That being said, I hope I'm wrong.

o

It's been another month so I will share another update on growth. It is coming along fine, I just can now see where I will be pruning next time around.

I took pictures at a few different angles this time to get a better view.

o

Now you're making me wonder if I should whack mine. Thoughts?

~Erin~

Photobucket

o

I would :-)

o

Why does one cute a jade? What do I cute and how? Does when make a difference?

~Erin~

o

Hello CorpsmanCooper,

People cut their Jade's down for appearance, and for the main reason of helping the plant to be able to support the weight of the plant as it grows. When you chop the Jade down you promote new growth, and reduce the stress on the plant of all the heavy weight from the leaves. This plant is full of water so when they get big they can get heavy. If the trunk of the plant is unable to support the canopy and branches it could topple over or branches might break off.

I'm sure others can give a better explanation, but I think this will give you the information you are looking for. If you type in Jade Whack or terms along that in the search bar on this forum you will find lots of information to read about on this procedure.

o

American, you nailed it.

Whacking Jades is done to manage the weight/growth of the plant and for aesthetics.
Many of us, myself included, are fascinated by the thick trunk and the interesting bark
as the plants age, so we like to lift the skirt, as it were, to show off the legs.

Pruning also allows us to select "pads" of foliage to grow in bonsai fashion, and helps
to maintain the look of compact foliage (as opposed to etoliated, gangly, or dangling
branches).

For a long time, there was talk that pruning Jades might also encourage thickening of the trunk.
Well, the jury's still out on that one, so I've dropped it from my rationale....but it was once a
thought that occurred to many of us.

Josh

o

American, you nailed it.

Whacking Jades is done to manage the weight/growth of the plant and for aesthetics.
Many of us, myself included, are fascinated by the thick trunk and the interesting bark
as the plants age, so we like to lift the skirt, as it were, to show off the legs.

Pruning also allows us to select "pads" of foliage to grow in bonsai fashion, and helps
to maintain the look of compact foliage (as opposed to etoliated, gangly, or dangling
branches).

For a long time, there was talk that pruning Jades might also encourage thickening of the trunk.
Well, the jury's still out on that one, so I've dropped it from my rationale....but it was once a
thought that occurred to many of us.

Josh

o

in my opinion it hasnt grown THAT much,,?
still has the multiple trunks, and (some) 'leggy' growth at top,,,,
but overall looks pretty darn good! :)

im curious about pruning, particularly near the top, could/should you continually prune/reduce the new growth too? or just let it grow out altogether, as it WAS hit pretty hard from its original shape, ..not sure i'd have had the....'marbles',? lol

my problem when visualizing for 'style' (particularly on a specimen that size) is: i always tend to look at the plant with what would result in the 'best cutting material' in mind, almost as much as simply regarding the pruning of the parent.
w/that in mind i can (also) easily think in terms of that concept in stages, ie: 'next year these areas will make great cuttings'.

btw AG, have you identified your munching-marauder?
and,, where in the world did you find all the pots for the cuttings??
keep up the great work! :)
ss

o

I have a "practice" jade that was downright ugly... I acquired it from someone who chopped back what must have been a huge jade because he had over two dozen cuttings which all had woody trunks. The growth wasn't as compact as I've come to like so I cut it back heavily and removed all the leaves. It's slowly started to backbud in areas that were bare prior to my pruning, which was one thing I'd intended. I hope with repeated pruning, I might see some trunk thickening too.

It seems to make sense to me that if you restrict upward growth and focus it elsewhere, you'll see increased growth there (ie: the trunk). I'm still learning though, so there is plenty of room for error.

As for deciding where to cut...I have yet to learn how to envision what I want, so I just cut what looks "bad" and hope it turns out nice. Definitely not recommended, I'm sure!

Jeni

o

silentsurfer,
I've been looking at the plant, and I see a lot of areas that I am contemplating chopping. I just wanted to leave it alone until after this winter in hopes that it *might* bloom, otherwise I would have continued to shape it as it grew. I have a lot of ideas for this plant this upcoming spring, so I look forward to cutting it down more and giving it some better shape. I got all of the pots from Wal-Mart for fairly cheap enough, and no I never found out what animals eats my Jade plants so I have to resort to keeping the plants protected :-\. I'm guessing it's either or a rabbit, squirrel or chipmunk because I see a lot of all of them running around our yard.

lenle,
Sometimes the best way is to make some cuts, and step back before you do more. I've been learning myself, and see where I could have made better cuts, but as it has been stated before. Jade plants are very forgiving, and as long as you give them the care they need you will be able to get the results you want in time.

o

While browsing the news feeds this morning, I came across this story, which might shed some light on who all was attacking your jades... :)

Jeni

o

Cute a new indoor pet for the jade

o

lenle,

I think you may have hit the nail on the head because there are so many squirrels where I live. I wish that I could do something to keep them away from my Jade plants besides making the cage around them, but until we sell this house and move somewhere else it's what I have to do :-). Atleast now I know what is eating my poor plants. Thank you for the info.

o

I'd like to whack that squirrel

o

Heygeno,
You and me both :-)

o

NIce work!

My old Crassula isn't quite as neat as that. But I love it when they get all woody. They look like wise old plants with much life experience!

Here's mine.

Photobucket

o

Thats one impressive jade! I had 3 years ago, in big pots, and it all started from a single leaf? Any jade growers ever see flowers? I got a surprise one year when buds formed, opening to white stars!

o

Have never seen my crassula flower and it's years old!

o

Thanks for sharing your Jade picture JoeCaudex. I too enjoy having a woody Jade plant as like you said, it looks like they are old and wise :-). This Jade that I wacked bloomed for the previous owner, so I'm hoping it will for me as well. Other than that my Jade plant that I got from a cutting in horticulture in High School bloomed for me. Other than that I don't think I've had the plants in the right conditions previous years. Now that I know more about how the plants work I'm hoping they will do their magic.

o

Yea it was a surprise! I had large pots on my moms windowsill, and they began to flower. Wintertime if I remember.

o

• Posted by rina_ 6a Ont (My Page) on
    Thu, Oct 18, 12 at 20:05

Whenever i kept my jade outside during the spring-summer-fall, it would bloom after bringing inside.
Not sure if coincidence...but I didn't have any flowers otherwise.
Rina

o

Chopping and allowing to regrow is a technique used in bonsai culture to promote a tapering profile. Cut and grow its called. In fast growing species like jade you can see the effects earlier, fatter trunk, finer branches (ramification ) especially if grown in good light.

o

Thought I would post a pic of my jade. It is 6 1/2 years old. I pulled it out of my moms jade when it was 1 inch tall and its now 4 feet tall and 4 feet wide. The trunk is 14 inches around (4 1/2 inches diameter). It has bloomed every year for me for the last 4 years. I leave it outside in the summer and bring it in in November or when the temperatures drop into the low 30's. I have a dilemma in that I have transplanted it I fear too many times and it is now becoming to large to manage as it weighs over 90 pounds. I want to downsize the pot and I know I will have to cut back the top of the plant. That is going to kill me as I really love the way it looks. I understand the roots may have to be pruned back as well. No one has mentioned pruning the roots back. Has anyone done this?

o

Your jade is beautiful, americangolden. Too bad I didn't read this sooner- I would have loved to purchase cuttings!

Yours is very nice, aswell, shadeslinger. Sorry I cannot offer advice! I am sure someone will.

o

I'd start at the bottom until the trunk is exposed full 360 %
working upward cut away inward growth for more defined branch exposure, a clean look just like in front of your left hand

Top section for a start twist and remove some of the most inward foliage on each branch and before you know it you'll see what you want.

o

123Greta,

I'd be happy to share cuttings once the weather warms up :). Send me an email because I have lots of plants that will be ready this spring.

o

Shadeslinger, that is one gorgeous Jade and I don't think you need to do ANYTHING to it. It is perfect! Why feel the need to "improve" anything so beautiful. Obviously your care is all it ever needed.
Pat.

o

Hey everyone,

Weather is warming up and I am working on whacking this Jade down a bit before it goes outdoors for the summer.

Here is what I chopped off last night. Also, the last picture is where I am contemplating chopping off. Yes or no?? Or any suggestions of branches to chop. Thanks GW :)

Before

After

Potential cuts

This post was edited by americangolden on Fri, Apr 5, 13 at 15:42

o

I hate squirrels. They climb our entire apartment building!!!! I live on the 9th floor and during spring and fall they are very active burrying and digging out food. So they go through all my plants during those times and make a mess. Ive found an entire nutty bar in its packaging at the bottom of one of my planted pots!!!! I usually move plants from indoor to out during spring and plant veggies. atm I have many hens and chicks (sempervivum) I want to move out but am worried about the darn rodents. Ill move them during late spring. They have even chewed through our balcony metal/plastic caging and roamed around in our apartment. So when we go out, we have to close the balcony.

Located in Toronto, Canada btw

This post was edited by NameTaken on Fri, Apr 5, 13 at 18:37

o

American, it's looking great!
I like what you've done. I'd probably leave it as is, and then make some cuts later this season when the plant is in prime growth mode.

Josh

o

What a day to discover this forum. Temp in Canada finally warm enough today to spring clean and I was just about to toss this out - until I saw this site - and the incredible plants you have grown. I was given this one in '83 as a housewarming....yes....30 years ago, and despite how inept I've been at nurturing it, it is still alive. Can you give me step by step? Cut back how much? Repot that? Cuttings? etc.....
Clearly I need advice.

o

If you read the previous posts in this thread, I think all of your questions are answered. In short, I'd cut most of that off, after depotting and separating the plants that you want. You could go for a smaller pot, too. Most of that growth is in response to less-than-optimal conditions and can be composted, or turned into new plants - that's up to you.

o

Hello Jaded4,

Sorry for the late response, but if you are still curious on what to do with your plant I can give you some suggestions.

If you want to keep the plant in the pot it is in I would suggest cutting off any branches that are hanging downward.

If you plan on repotting your plant, you could remove everything and see what you have. Any branches that can be repotted facing up would work, or you can make cuts on longer limbs that would be able to be repotted upright.

The main things you want to go for are eliminating any downward facing branches and try to get the plant into better sunlight. A Jade that is in a good amount of light will grow upright towards the sun and the leaves will also be more compact. The large green leaves that you have on your plant are growing that size to help gather sunlight.

Good luck!

o

Good advice, and well said, American.
Any chance of an update pic?

Josh

o

Hey greenman28,

I just went outside and snapped a picture of the new colorful growth :-).

o

Ah, don't you love it!

Josh

o

Sure do :-). Glad summer is here!

o

Here is an update on how this plant is coming along. It's doing great out in the summer sun =). It'll take some time, but it is coming along on filling in.

o

Great pics AmericanGolden

I have so many Jade plants which I've just neglected in the Southern California sun...

I'm thinking of doing the same as you and whack a few down to create that thick trunk look.

Do you have any updates from the end of the summer? What location or zone are you?

o

Good morning yorkiemiki,

I went outside and took a few pictures of how the plant is coming along. To answer your question, I am in zone 5b.

o

Coming along perfectly!
Are you fertilizing? If not, a bit of fertilizer will thicken up that foliage, and move it along even faster.

Josh

o

I have been lacking in the fertilizing department, but I have some Foliage Pro I need to start using. It's been a busy summer. Luckily the Jade's don't mind the neglect :-).

o

Next time you water...1/8 to 1/4 strength dose.
The difference is astounding.

Josh

o

Well here's the thread for me. I recently obtained a plant I'd been admiring for quite some time in the neighbor's yard... turns out they are moving and I couldn't believe it when they offered to sell it to me for $20 (the smaller one was free). Now I am eager to re-pot it and clean it up a bit, but wanted to double-check with some of the experts here first, as most of my work is with younger plants, correcting them as they grow. I haven't actually taken older stuff and made major adjustments yet.

I'm thinking I won't do too much to the major branches, at least not right away. I'll balance it a bit, but leave most of the top intact. My main concern is some ugly chewed-up spots on the trunk and a few of the limbs, as well as re-potting it. Just to be clear: I can just cleanly remove these wounds and it will heal over fairly well, right? Or should I go about it a different way? I just want them to disappear as neatly as possible.

My last question is about re-potting... would it be a bad idea to do a clean chop at the base of the trunk and then put the thing in a large bonsai pot, tying it down of course? What would I need to keep in mind, if this is what I attempt? Just cut it, let it callous, then put some root hormone on it?

Any advice would be great, thanks!

o

From the side.

o

The other side.

o

Close-up of the trunk and offending scars.

o

My two cents: don't chop it! Repot if you must, maybe trim roots if you want to put it in a smaller pot and get more compact growth, but please don't cut it at the base! I cringe at the thought.

If you trim off the scarred areas with a sharp, sterilized blade, they should heal cleanly. They may get a scab that may eventually just peel off after a few months, but you can cut them cleaner than they look now.

o

mgee,

Danielle's advice is exactly what I would have written, especially about not cutting the trunk. Don't do it unless you'd like a long, hard road rerooting (not a sure thing in itself) the trunk. All it needs is some cleanup, as she also advised you well on.

o

I agree, mgee...don't cut it unless you really like a long recovery during which much/most of the old foliage will be lost.

Also, don't worry about those "scars"....give 'em time, and they'll finish callusing and smooth themselves off.

One idea to entertain in the future would be the removal of one of the trunks in order to create a single-trunked specimen. Then, you could root the removed trunk and have a second large specimen. Just an idea. I like the Jade as is.

Josh

o

Nice update Americangolden...your Jade is coming along very nicely!!

Mgee...what a beautiful Jade and at $20 an astounding deal...Congrats and I agree with the advise here...I too love the Jade the way it is. Good luck!!

o

Thank you puglvr1.

The plant is still filling in at a good rate. Here is an end of September picture.

o

It's just gorgeous. I have a jade that has beautiful bones, but I haven't done any major pruning for fear of messing it up. I have to be brave like you, and perhaps I'll be equally rewarded!

o

Yes! Now we're back in business!
Great update...hopefully this will encourage folks who've been bashful about whacking their Jades. Sure, there are many months of awkward new growth, but in the end it is completely worth it.

Josh

o

Danielle317,

It can be scary, but it is worth it. Jade plants are very forgiving as you can tell by the pictures. They respond very well to hard pruning. It is very neat to see pictures from start to current on plants that you do this to and I recommend to anyone that does a hard prune to do so to keep track of the plants progress. It is nice to share with others as well to show what can be achieved from this process.

Josh,

Thank you! I couldn't agree more with your statement. In the end it is completely worth it =). I will have to share pictures soon of all my other Jade plants that I hard pruned and how they responded. I think that they all look wonderful with much more compact and colorful growth from this summer.

o

I brought my plants in two nights ago due to cold and lots of rain in the forecast. It's been raining for days, and that is not a good combination with the cold night temperatures.

I put all the plants away in a spare bedroom in a bright window. Today I went in there to take a look at them out of curiosity and to my surprise, I have flower buds =)!!

I will keep this post updated when they bloom. Enjoy and I hope these pictures do justice for how ecstatic I am right now!

First bud I found hiding inside two leaves.

o

Congrats!
What a great surprise, and reward for your hard work and care.

Josh

o

Thanks Josh! I'm surprised how early the flower buds have set.

o

Congrats indeed!! I too can't believe how early your Jade is beginning to flower.That's very exciting!!

o

I thought I would share an update since it has been a while. The flower buds are showing up a lot more over the whole plant, and looks like they are getting closer to opening.

o

Great job on this plant! I love how it has transformed and is now budding...woohoo!

This post was edited by Camellia1 on Sun, Oct 27, 13 at 13:11

o

AG- can we have a follow up or what?! I was so disappointed when this post stopped! I'd love to see how your jade is doing now, greAt job by the way. So neat to see the changes over such a period of time, keep em comin!

o

Here are some pictures jamie6788. Hope this gives you an update for the winter months. Enjoy =)

I'll be doing some updating on this thread in spring which will be here shortly enough. I think I am going to do a little more whacking on this plant to get the shape better.

o

Wow, there are some pretty impressive jades in this thread! I'm impressed :)

I decided to "whack" my jade today because it had developed some strange growth - branches forming odd little dips and twists when they grew downwards and then sharply back up again, etc. I've had the plant for about 2.5 years and bought it from Ikea of all places, so I have no idea how old it really is.

Sadly, I found this thread and decided to take pictures after I butchered my poor plant, but I was hoping maybe someone could tell me if they think I did a good job and if I should take any more off, or if I should expect a dead plant in a couple of months. I'll also attach a picture of all the clippings (with a 30cm/approx. 12in ruler at the bottom for scale) so you can get an idea of how much I took off and how the branches had been growing.

Thanks for any help and advice!

o

Nice hacking. In about a week a simple twist should remove the discolored, deformed shapes at lower foliage.

Could also use better lighting . Low light is what caused the deformed longer growth you had just cut.

o

I thought about starting my old thread, but since there were so may on the same subject I figured I would use this one just as well. If this one dies then I guess Ill start a new one but for now this will work great.

So in 2010 at my 20th HS Reunion an old friend from HS whom Ive been friends with on facebook for quite a long while now, brought me a gift. She knows I'm a big plant nerd...etc. She has a HUGE 5-6 foot or so tall Jade tree which she pruned up as it was just getting too large. Well she had multiple medium sized plants from that pruning a few years prior to 2010, and she wanted to give me one. I think the parent tree is a good 20+ years old now and it thrives. Anyway I received a very nice about 1 foot tall branch with multiple branches, as a new plant at our HS reunion. It has been growing nicely, but did start to get slightly etiolated (stretched out) from wintering indoors. It was not bad as it gets full sun all day long in winter in a south facing window, but still, indoors does effect it a bit.

So a couple weeks ago I decided to chop it good. It was a bit top heavy, and I wanted to get it to grow more bushy and even more tree like than it already is. In just two weeks it is already sprouting lots of new branches. I was not expecting it to do so this quickly, but its got LOTS of tiny new branches emerging. I also ended up with about 20 new plants that I am going to start (they are rooting now), pot up, and give away.

Anyway, below is the result of the hack. I did leave a couple of small branches on one of the two main trunks as you'll see. Hopefully this hack job will prove good for the plant, and also help it to look even more like a mini tree than it already does. The small branches low on the trunk are going to be removed once it really branches out again, and the small one in the pot was a branch I accidently knocked off and just stuck in the soil to root. It is also going to be removed soon.

Id love to hear from everyone and see what they think of how I did and also hear any suggestions you all might have for improvement.

First two photos are just the entire plant from different sides.

Next two are close ups of a couple of the branches with plenty of new growth pushing out.

The resultant new jade plants in the making. There are about 20 in these bowls and will be potted up this weekend and given away as gifts. Many have already rooted.

o

Was it sun hardened before you hard pruned ?

o

I'm not sure what you mean by "sun hardened". It spends 3 seasons outdoors in full sun. It's in a south facing window and gets direct sun for several hours (4-5) per day when wintering indoors. Is that what you meant?

I know better than to take a plan't thats been out of direct sun all winter and put it into direct sun straight away. I harden those off with sun by doing it gradually over a couple of weeks. It works great with all of my plants that are over wintered indoors and do not get direct sun. This Jade however, gets direct sun, year round, even in winter. Is that what you were asking? Thanks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here