Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Indoor Barrel Cacti: Light Exposure?

Posted by FerocactusLatispinus Central WI (kdlau@live.com) on
Tue, May 8, 12 at 17:41

Hi! I have been contemplating whether or not a southern window exposure is good enough for indoor barrel cacti grown here in the Midwest. Light intensity is far lower here than in the Southwest. Thus, I am concerned that my barrel cacti may not be receiving suffient light.

My cacti are all within a foot of my south-facing window, and I rotate each plant 180 degrees once each day. On average, I would say they get about four hours of direct sunlight, and the rest of the time it's only reflected light (from the lawn, trees, etc.) that is half the intensity of our direct sun. In my view, this is not enough, since all of the cacti are getting half of the amount of sunlight they could be getting (since only about half of each plant's surface is exposed during the day). Also, I just hope to get them enough light to grow healthily, not worrying about flowering.

I would love to grow them outside, but they get heavily infested with spider mites, scale, etc., even within a couple hours believe it or not.

I would love to know if the current amount of sunlight is sufficient. If not, could anyone recommend an effective pest repellant for plants?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Indoor Barrel Cacti: Light Exposure?

You wrote :In my view, this is not enough, since all of the cacti are getting half of the amount of sunlight they could be getting (since only about half of each plant's surface is exposed during the day)

BINGO

o

FL,

Ml2u answered it succinctly but completely. These need to be outside / inside a solarium which gets sun all day (if they had to be, which in your case they don't). If there's something about your environment which prohibits having Feros outside all day in their growth season (now), isn't there a way to combat it? Your present growing conditions are fairly well unsuitable for this genus of cactus.
Photobucket

o

I'd love to grow them outside, and I surely can, but I haven't been able to successfully combat all, or at least some of the pests. I guess our Wisconsin summers would just naturally be a purgatory for barrel cacti. What the arctic is to cold, Wisconsin is like to these pests. We are ridden with humidity, lakes, and bogs... :)

Artificial lighting is unfortunately just too expensive to rig up, but that would work, I assume.

I'm getting the feeling that trying to grow healthy Ferocacti and Echinocacti indoors, in Wisconsin, without supplemental lighting is just a little too much to bite off. Oh well, I guess my choice of cacti are poor companions with the Wisconsin environment. After all, they are meant to be grown in the Southwest! :)

Thank you for your help.

This is FL signing off. :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here