Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
purrparlor

Succulent and slate garden

annkathryn
10 years ago

I'm new to succulents but have become smitten with them. I wanted to find a way to use them in my yard which has been completely re-landscaped after a whole house renovation. I carved out a corner near my patio for a little succulent garden. The risk of this area was that the dog would go stomping through it on her way to chase squirrels on the fence. I decided to use some of the leftover slate from the patio to protect the succulents a bit. Not being at all artistic, I experimented with some arrangements of slate and came up with the rock garden you see in the pictures. I'm thinking that as the succulents grow out over the years, the area will fill in nicely.

I didn't find many inspiration pictures on the Internet, so perhaps this will inspire someone else. {{gwi:551835}}From Yard - May 2013
{{gwi:551836}}From Yard - May 2013
{{gwi:551837}}From Yard - May 2013
{{gwi:551838}}From Yard - May 2013

The area to the right of the path also has succulents, unprotected for now. {{gwi:551839}}From Yard - May 2013

Comments (15)

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    10 years ago

Very nice . I like your vertical placement of the rock. It is something that I have wanted to do for awhile but things keep getting in the way. You have stumbled on the style of rock gardening called Crevice gardens. It was originally developed in Checkloslavakia. They were using rocks as they organized themselves in the karst countryside. Google "Crevice Gardens" and you will see a lot of similar examples like what you have done. If you didn't stumble on this term before, you might really like this. I was blown away. The only draw back is it take a WHOLE BUNCH OF ROCK.

Man I want rock, lots of rock.

Here is a link that might be useful: Google images of Crevice Gardens

• annkathryn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh yes, crevice gardens, thanks for the label wantonamara. I've got quite a bit of slate left over from the patio, perhaps I'll use some of the larger pieces for the 2nd succulent area.

• qsis
    10 years ago

A pretty and welcoming space you've got there, annkathryn!

Lee

• hanzrobo
    10 years ago

Very nice! It reminds me of the view of a city from overhead, and you've just added some nice green spaces. Gotta have parks!... or maybe it's the remains of an ancient labyrinth.

I hate to break this to you but you might be more artistic than you realize.

• annkathryn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It's been 3 months and most of my succulents are filling out nicely.

• annkathryn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Did I mention I put in the slate to keep the cats away from the succulents too? It's working for the dog, but the cats think they own the entire yard. The one on the left seems to be lying directly on top of one of the Haworthia....ouch.

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

It DOES look like it's filling in nicely! Thanks for the update!

Cute kitties...and, yes, one is on top of a Haw. Hope it survives...the Haw, I mean. I have yet to find anything to deter my dogs from demolishing my plants. I think only 4 ft high & fenced garden beds would work!

• lcadena
    10 years ago

So nice! The slate looks great and very artistic. I'm jealous!

• veggie_girl
    10 years ago

Beautiful, and cute cats too :)

• paul_
    10 years ago

That really came out well.

• paul_
    10 years ago

That really came out well.

• annkathryn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the nice comments. Here's a slightly larger photo that shows the plants a bit better. I thought I was going to lose the aloe because the tips got very brown, perhaps too much sun initially. It bounced back and is looking healthy now.

{{gwi:551840}}

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    10 years ago

Ann,

I've looked at this several times now - it's growing on me. My rock placement has been more random, but I see immediately the advantages of that, especially when you take into consideration The Kitties Factor (I have a few of the rascals myself).

You'll find the bounce-back factor quite common with succulents, especially where you live. In fact, you'll soon have to prune back or remove (I'm thinking specifically of the Aloe, which will grow too prosperous for that space, IMO), but such is the joy of the gardener in training. If you want that specific type of dolmens-with-plants garden full but manageable, while still allowing room for the cats to loll, I'd generally stay away from Aloes - they're such growing beasts in SouCal and other warm zones. There are many other plants, such as the Crassulaceae Family plants you have growing there, which are easily trimmable (and which cuttings you can grow more plants from), aside from plants that stay always small - I'd bet some Gasterias and Haworthias (both Aloe relatives, but both generally small would grow like gangbusters there - those two species of plants, when grown in, will also provide hard points for the cats to rub their furry faces against).

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    10 years ago

I think there are definite possibilities especially working with large thin rocks on edge. Crevice gardening does take a lot of rock.

• annkathryn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

cactusmcharris thanks for the warning about the aloe, I'll make sure it doesn't take over. I love the haworthias - there are two in this bed and I have 5 more in the front yard. If they grow like gangbusters I'll be very happy.

All of the Crassulaceae/Echeveria I have came from neighbors who were nice to give me cuttings. DH and I bought several of the Pagoda Village plants - we were smitten by how they looked. Fortunately the cats haven't been tempted to lounge on them.

I have succulents on the other side of the path but haven't had time to set rocks around there. They're suffering a bit from the dog's running through them.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting