Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What's wrong with my echeveria?

Posted by pennyhal 11Sunset23 (My Page) on
Wed, May 16, 12 at 17:59

I can't figure out what's wrong with this plant. I got out my magnifying glass. I thought it was mealy bug, but no legs and doesn't crawl. I thought it was white fly, but no wings and doesn't fly. I can't see an insect at all. The black stuff seems to be soot or mold of some sort. I poured soapy water on it today, but I'd sure like to know what I'm dealing with!
Photobucket

Photobucket

Penny

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What's wrong with my echeveria?

Looks an awful lot like mealies, Penny. Is your plant maybe a Sempervivum?

o

Sorry Penny (I agree about Semp), I too think it's mealies.

That's a BAD infestation. I'd throw it out, going to be too difficult to remedy w/out systemic (or return it to point of purchase, tho' how could one prove the mealies are not from one's own collection).

o

A thing you could try is find some long grass in a safe place and place the plant there. Go back in a few weeks and the insects will be all gone. Something bigger will get them. I've done this so I know it works.

o

I, too, think it's mealy bug (with sooty mold) on your Sempervivum. If you have it (it's cheap), try some rubbing alcohol (50% with H2O) sprayed on it. Wait a few days~repeat!

o

Oh silly me! Of course it's a sempervivum. I'm going to have to get out me super duper magnifying glass as I sure did not see the mealies with the one I used.

This is the same plant I had mealies on maybe 7 months ago and used alcohol on them. I thought they were gone. I've removed 4 of the 6 pups and they are fine, but mother plant needs help. I guess I'll have to get out the pesticide and do a soil drench.

Thanks!

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Thu, May 17, 12 at 18:12

I always repeat spray with the alcohol several times over several days to get any eggs and tiny babies.

o

I had looked up the life cycle of the mealies and this plant has been mealy free for many months now, long past any reproductive cycle. So, I can't figure out if somehow the mealies have been hiding out all this time, inactive, or if this is a new infestation. It is suspicious because it is the only plant in my collection that has the problem, and only the mother plant's pot. So that's why I think I need to do a soil drench with a pesticide as whatever I've done so far has been a failure. An annoying garden problem.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here