Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jojosplants

Plantomaniac!! Look!! Rainbow is trying to straighten up!

jojosplants
9 years ago

I couldn't believe it when I walked out today! It was laying on the rock a few days ago, when I showed you the blooms. I had put that rock there to support it!
Today it is raised up off the rock! Bless her heart! She is trying so hard to spring back. :-)

{{gwi:551985}}

{{gwi:551986}}

{{gwi:551987}}

{{gwi:551988}}

And this is her guard bunny! LOL! It sits in front of the bed she is planted in.

{{gwi:551990}}

Comments (18)

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

JoJo,
    Wowzers! I call that the will to live! Thanks for an update, I'm happy to see that she's starting to perk up (literally)! Lol, guard bunny. Let me know what else she does. :)

Planto

• jojosplants
    Original Author
    9 years ago

LOL!
    I had to stop and take a second look! Will to live for sure!!
    I am so excited and happy!

I will keep you posted. Thank you for the care and interest in her. :-)

hey... did you see my post farther down.. "cactus stork" I have baby golden barrels! :-)

yep.. her own guard bunny. lol..
    I love that sill rock!

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

JoJo,
    You're welcome. All too often folks post about issues they've had with their plants, but rarely do they give updates. I always wonder what happens to them, good or bad.

I thought I had replied on your other post, I guess I didn't; sorry about that. I did read your post and saw the babies; I'm so excited for you! I wonder how slow/fast they're going grow. I want to see updates on them too!

I'm glad to see that you're back on the forum. I did notice that you hadn't posted in quite some time and was hoping you were okay.

Planto

• aztcqn
    9 years ago

Oh my, what an odd little sausage you have there! Unusually shaped! It's an echinocereus, yes?
    Seems, I've missed the post with the flowers.

Guard bunny takes her duties serious, she doesn't move!
    ;]

• jojosplants
    Original Author
    9 years ago

LOL!
    Yes, it is odd!
    Planto remembers this plant from yrs past postings, and I was showing her how it is now.
    Well the story is.. I've had it about 10 yrs now. It got to be over a foot tall and about a year ago flopped over. I thought it was rot, and set it aside. Didn't have the heart to cut it and try and root/save it. So just kinda forgot about it.
    This spring it developed buds so I planted it real quick in the yard, and put that rock under it for support..It only had 3 buds this year, but was sure trying!

It was laying on that rock a week ago!

Here is an older picture from 2 yrs ago, right before she flopped over, she had 7 blooms at once in this one!

{{gwi:551991}}

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

Wow, it grew a lot in the last two years!

Planto

• Sundewd
    9 years ago

What I would so is put it between some tall/narrow rocks so that it has support as it grows. These types of soft body cacti tend to flop over once they reach a certain size if not supported. Keep adding support underneath it as it perks up then eventually you should be able to set it upright as described. Good luck, what a pretty cactus! I want one.

• jojosplants
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I figured I would have to give it a steak or something if it does straighten up. Our monsoon's have some pretty severe storms and they are just around the corner. :-/

I'll add some rocks or something in the meanwhile.
    Thank you!

It's a fairly common cactus, you could probably find one online if not local. ;-)
    Echinocereus rigidissimus

• jojosplants
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Planto,
    I often wonder the outcome of plants too.

No need to apologize about the other thread. ;-) I have a second baby one now. I planted 50 seeds so we'll see how it goes.

With my luck , slow growers..lol.. mom grew fairly fast IMO , but she's outside in her element. :-)

Thank you for the welcome back. :-) yes, I did leave for about a year. Life handed me a plateful.. and heart and time wasn't into being here. I missed many, and you being at the top of the list! When it started to warm up here and I looked at what was left of my collection, I decided I needed to be back here for many reasons. :-)

JoJo

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

JoJo,
    Thanks. :) That is true, I have read cacti will grow faster outside than indoors. Hopefully once yours (I hope you have more pop up) get big enough, you can put them outside where they will take off!

Sure thing. It's not every day you meet such a nice person. :) I find myself coming to the forums because I know of no one else (in person) who enjoys growing plants as I do.

Sadly, life does give us platefuls once in awhile, but as hard as it is to feel this way sometimes, they always say God doesn't give you more than you can handle (I apologize, I am not trying to step on your toes here, I do not know your beliefs). Hopefully things are better for you now. I look forward to seeing more posts from you!

Planto

• jojosplants
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My family gardens, but no one shares my interest in these plants. :-)

I'm hoping for more too and to move them out as soon as I can. I have a semi shade area for them to get a start.

No.. you didn't step on toes :-) yes, that is true and the rest goes to say "I just wish he didn't trust me so much. " ;-) lol...

Slowly getting better. I need to work on a few things for me now. :-)

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

Oh, I thought your son shared your interest. :\

That sounds like a plan (with regards to your new "babies").

Lol, I know the feeling. ;)

Yep, you have to make sure you're taken care of too!

Planto

• aztcqn
    9 years ago

Oh....me, me, me! I have same interests, too!!!! ;]

Aaah, 7 at once!!! Jojosplants, those flowers are super gorgeous!!!!!

I know. My mom wonders what the deal is with so many boxes of cactus coming through the door. But, when they flower, she loves them (for that flowering moment, at least) too.
    I love to see other folks' gardens and love chatting about commonly owned types-cacti, orchids, roses, etc..
    I want to learn from everyone, because I want to grow better. Other folks' experience is gold to me. And I'm an experience gold digger.

This post was edited by aztcqn on Mon, May 26, 14 at 19:43

• jojosplants
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh my son does Planto.. but he's at an age where he's so so, on the plants. Yes, he still wants to buy them and cares for them, and we talk and share blooms and such.. but he is almost 17 so ... hanging with mom is a little less these days. ;-) We are going to join a local club soon.. but he's not a nut about all this like me. lol...

Aztcqn, I have loved getting to know you better and look forward to more! Yes , we are gold diggers. ;-)
    Well my mom is from Ohio.. Arizona wasn't really her choice place to move.. but life is what it is.. so she's not to fond of cactus and such. lol.. I am native, so I love our desert and all it's wonders!

I am going to get her a few small plants soon. Today was her birthday! we had a cookout and I talked her into putting a few small cactus in her front yard. :-)
    Dad built their porch and has an area he doesn't want mom to water , so the foundation doesn't settle.. but it needs something. so hey.. cactus! right. lol...

JoJo

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

JoJo,
    Oh right, I remember all too well being his age lol.

I have visited Arizona before, the Grand Canyon and the Painted Desert... ended up with a cactus spine in my toe. o_0 I think I enjoyed the scenery of New Mexico more, but I can imagine how easy it is to grow cacti there. On that note, I am jealous, haha.

Cacti sounds like a good idea for your Mom!

Planto

• paul_
    9 years ago

â¢Posted by jojosplants
    "I figured I would have to give it a steak or something...."

Wow, a carnivorous cactus ...

Nice that it's making a come back. I, too, thought that it might benefit from having another rock added to raise the support higher.

• jojosplants
    Original Author
    9 years ago

ROFLMAO!!
    Good catch Paul! Now why can't spell check read minds? ;-) Yes, carnivorous !! LOL!! they do bite ;-)
    Good to see you! I hope your well!!

Planto.. I hike the desert all summer.. have had to dig out plenty of thorns. lol.. Yes, most come easy.. but there are those that need some shade.. That can be tough sometimes to provide.

• aztcqn
    9 years ago

Wow, I bow down to your endurance, Jojos. Hiking in heat and sun is a combo knockout for me. You must see some nice landscapes and native plants in your hikes. I'm more a mountain gal. Love the alpine vistas. Funny, most of my plants are higher altitude and cool growers, too.