Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fantastic is Right

Posted by kaktuskris 5 (barharbor75@yahoo.com) on
Tue, May 8, 12 at 18:42

I believe they call this 'Fantastic,' for good reason in my book.

Christopher

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fantastic is Right

WOWSER,I love that-----Is it a kalanchoe,crassula or what?? Inquiring minds Need to know.
Kathi

o

Soooo handsome, I'm a pushover for nice variegation. Is this K. thyrsifolia?

o

Yes, Karen, it is, the variegated form known as 'Fantastic.'

Has some lovely red colouration on the lower leaves.

Christopher

o

I am pretty sure that this is actually K. luciae 'Fantastic'. It's mislabeled nearly everywhere it's sold, but K. thyrsifolia is actually nearly completely green and less exciting.

o

Get that thing outside so it can get more of the red coloring. Is Maine still freezing on the coast? It will take a light frost if it is dry and similar to the normal K luciae. Winter sun is what makes it color up beautifully. Check for the hardiness ratings. K. luciae will withstand 29 F easily. Mine survived a QUICK dip to 27 but the leaves were damaged and it had to come back from the core. Texas does quick dips and does not stay their usually.

o

That is a gorgeous plant!! Gee, I didn't notice that reddish coloring on the edge of the leaves until I went back and looked! I still consider myself a newbie because if I wanted to puchase this plant I'd spend all my life looking for one without and red in it! That is what is so hard for me to learn...all the variations a single plant can have.

o

Thanks for the comments! I do like this plant.

I went with the name Kalanchoe thyrsiflora 'Fantastic' because the growers who developed this plant, Hawaiian Sunshine Nursery, list it as that, incorrect though it may be.

I will have to try to get it outside once this cool rainy New Hampshire weather improves.

Christopher

o

Nice plant. This is what it will look like with more light.
Photobucket
Photobucket

o

Oh dear! Now I'm just lusting for that plant! Simply gorgeous! I'm such a sucker for any plant with red in it. We just took a trip to a couple of nurseries to the south of us, but did not see this plant there. I suspect I may need to hunt it down at shows.

Penny

o

Christopher, I was thinking the Bar Harbor in the email was a hint that you lived in Maine. I used to live in NH up just south of Conway. COLD for succulents!

o

Put this outside in the sun today, see if any more red develops...

Wanton, I am at the opposite end of NH, near the MA border, but still cold.

Christopher

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here