Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joe1980_gw

New jades I got this week

Joe1980
9 years ago

Around my area here in Wisconsin, you can find a plain green jades easily, and that's about it. I needed some straw bales for my vegetable garden, and they were tough to find, but I found some at a greenhouse. I decided to browse through, and to my delight, they had a ton of jades. While most were plain green ones, there were a few oddballs in the mix. None were marked, but I promptly snatched up 3 different types. I got them home and removed all soil, and put them in their new gritty mix homes. Below is a pic of them. Feel free to chime in on what type they might be.

Joe

Comments (12)

• greendale
    9 years ago

Joe:

Nice Jade trees. Do you know what the left one called. I have the same plant and we had a discussion in the thread

Here is a link that might be useful: Crassula (Jade Plant) ID

• Joe1980
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm not sure, because doing internet searches seems to tell me there's a lot of misidentification going on with jades. If I search the bluebird variety, I get pictures of many different types. I picked that one because I liked the blueish color, and the smaller leaves, as opposed to the ginormous round leaved one.

The middle one looks like my variegata jade, but is lime green with slight cream tinged striping in the middle of the leaves.

The one on the right was one of three, and had the best trunk form, but the weakest coloring. The other two looked kinda like sunsets to me, with lighter green main coloring, red edges and leaf tips, with some yellowish cream color mixed in. Like I said though, the one I grabbed had the least color. I pick based on structure first over color, as color will change.

Joe

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    9 years ago

....nice Jades, Joe!
    I just lost a long reply, but I'll rewrite the main points :-)

'Hummel's Sunset' on the right.

Crassula ovata var. obliqua in the middle. Mine had all-green leaves when I purchased it, but after a hard-pruning the leaves grew back with some variegation - though nothing as white-heavy as the usual oblique-leafed variegate.

Crassula arborescens on the left. You have the form with thinner and pointy leaves.

Josh

• deva33 Z8 Atlanta
    9 years ago

Is there a specific jade that is known for blooming? I have some plain old green jades and one variegated that I bought at a walmart some time ago. My green on is from cuttings from my mothers HUGE jade that I had never seen bloom. Maybe we just don't know how to make it bloom? Any tips would be appreciated!

• Joe1980
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Woot! I've been dreaming of owning a hummels sunset for years, and now it's official. Not to mention my other finds there, and with some pretty hearty trunks on them. Thanks for the confirmations.

Joe

• luv_daises
    9 years ago

what is ur potting mix for the jades?

• Joe1980
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It's a 50/50 mix of turface and granite, basically gritty mix minus the bark. I've been using it for a few years with great success. I like how it looks presentable, and stays that way. Also, it's 100% synthetic, meaning it lasts literally forever, so I don't have to clean any old soil from the roots during a repot. The big thing: it's very porous, so it drains freely, and makes it near impossible to overwater.

Joe

• KittieKAT
    9 years ago

Oooo that sound like a good mix to try for my jade, very beautiful love the trunk shapes

• camellia1_gw
    9 years ago

Oh, very nice! I love the trunks on the 1st & 2nd plants, especially Crassula ovata var. obliqua .

• puglvr1
    9 years ago

LOVE your new Jades Joe!! Great score, Congrats!! May I ask where you got your very pretty pots? I really like them also :o)

Your mix sounds very interesting...no bark...hmmm might have to try this with a couple of my small Jades. How often do you have to water with the 50/50 turface and granite...say the size pot you have in the picture you posted?

• marguerite_gw Zone 9a
    9 years ago

I just love the stance of those jades, and like puglyr1 I'm a fan of the pots too, especially the one in the centre. Congratulations on your find, Joe.

• Joe1980
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone! The pots I got from Stein Garden & Gifts, which is a local garden center and plant shop. They have a good selection of pots, that's ever changing. The center and right pots were ones without drain holes, so I drilled them in. The left pot was one with the built on saucer, which doesn't work well for watering, so I tapped the saucer with a hammer and broke it off. I am a real stickler for pots.....I like them to have personality just like my plants. I don't use standard terra cotta pots or plastic pots. I have quite a collection of pots in my shed, of many sizes, so I'm always prepared.

As for the mix, watering depends on the plant, and the time of year. I have a few more jades than shown, all around the same pot size, some a bit larger. Throughout winter, I watered maybe every week and a half to two weeks. In summer, maybe every few days. I like to maintain the pot sizes shown, for aesthetics, and for ease of watering. I basically have one drain hole in each pot, which I cover with a finger, and then fill the pot with water. I wait a minute to make sure the turface soaked it up, then release my finger, draining the pot.

The turface is screened per Al's gritty mix instructions. I use Dyna Gro Foliage Pro 9-3-6, at roughly 1/2 tsp per gallon pretty much year round. My jades are in a south window, so they tend to grow year round also.

Joe

This post was edited by Joe1980 on Thu, May 22, 14 at 18:41