Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
treehugger101

My Starter Collection

treehugger101
9 years ago

Here is my starter collection indoors. I will be moving the rosettes outside tomorrow because I know now they will stretch inside. In Winter I will use grow lights. Will that work for them?

I have a Firesticks, hens n chicks and a huge rosette on the porch, too.

I have switched their potting mediums to gritty mix. If anyone has comments on individual plant needs, it would be welcome. I bought some rares from Daniel's Nursery but he does not list light requirements so I am shooting in the dark. Thanks for looking!

Terri

Comments (23)

• treehugger101
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here are the plants I bought on the table. East window direct AM sun...

• treehugger101
    Original Author
    9 years ago

No flash but you can see more details...

• treehugger101
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Other side of table...

• twiltye
    9 years ago

Love the matching pots! Pulls everything together really nicely

• treehugger101
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, Twiltye. It was a suggestion from a member to check out etsy and there you have it. I wanted to show off the succulents more than the pots.

• amsten09
    9 years ago

Haha I like that all of your pots match. I have so many different pots and non of them match(tiz the life of a broke college kid). I ENVY YOU! :) also your new collection looks wonderful!

• twiltye
    9 years ago

Agreed, and it works really nicely! And I'm with Amsten in the broke college kid department. Lucky terra cotta's so cheap and I have an abundance of acrylics if I ever get around do it.

• treehugger101
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Amsten09, My big splurge was the pots that have the waves. I wiped her out. It was not enough so a member suggested painting regular terracotta pots to match. So that was done and then I found white milk glass (they were custard cups in a former life) second hand. One on the table was a dog's water dish. As you see I still need 7 more white pots to make them ALL match but we're getting there. The I will buy more plants. Good thing it is garage sale season.

• pirate_girl
    9 years ago

It looks nice, but also looks like the plants are planted directly in the white pots. Do they have a drainage hole? 'Cause I don't see any saucers, am wondering about drainage.

• amsten09
    9 years ago

I AM AN ART MAJOR! and it never crossed my mind that I could... Paint the pots. My mind has been blown! Haha I am having a good laugh at myself now :p

• twiltye
    9 years ago

ART MAJOR HIGH FIVE

Also yes drainage holes are good. They said they were painted terra cotta pots so there probably should be holes in those at least?

• KittieKAT
    9 years ago

Hmmmm i Have a white pot im not currently using mybe you would have a place for it, I'll see if i can dig it up and if your not to to far i could send it to u

• hijole
    9 years ago

treehugger, Very nice indeed and today you recieve a 10 for being the most original those white colored pots look so heavenly, Your window looks so fresh & clean I could go on and on but you get the point BRAVO!!!

Greg

• treehugger101
    Original Author
    9 years ago

pirate_girl Yes. All pots have drainage holes including the hanging pot. It was quite a venture finding those pots, too!

• treehugger101
    Original Author
    9 years ago

KittieKat, If you are serious, that would so rock. Email me, please if you find it!

• treehugger101
    Original Author
    9 years ago

LOL! Thank You, Greg! I need 7 more white pots with drainage holes 3-6" (will pay postage!) and then I get to try to keep them alive - with help from all of you!

• brodyjames_gw
    9 years ago

That's a nice collection you've got going there. FYI, your Hens and Chicks will do much better outdoors planted in the ground; they don't do well as house plants and can take the winter cold and snow. I do like the monochromatic color scheme of your pots; the white really will make the varying colors of the plants pop!

Nancy

• treehugger101
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Nancy, Thank you for the advice. I will move the hens and chicks out. Do you know if my rosettes can do OK indoors under strong grow lights? I am worried about them next Winter. Thanks.

Terri

• brodyjames_gw
    9 years ago

Terri,
    They MIGHT make it.....I tried it when I lived in my apartment and had to move them in for the winter because all I had was a balcony, but not all made it and the one that did looked horrible for months, then died.
    Semps are actually Alpine plants, living in, you guessed it, the Alps, so believe, me, they will take winter just fine (I'm in zone 5). If you are that worried about it, put a clear shoe storage container (with a couple of holes punched in the sides) over the plants in winter. I finally got two new semps last year, planted them in the ground (now that I have a house) and they are doing fine and our winter was the worst my region has seen in the last 15-20 years. I would plant yours as soon as possible so that it gets some good roots going.
    Go for it! :)

Nancy

• treehugger101
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Nancy, You are calling the rosettes semps but they are Echevarias. Are those semps?

• KittieKAT
    9 years ago

Found a white pot (more like you set the plants original pot into it and its got space for water to drain to the bottom but you gatta empty it or just let it evaporate it doesn't touch the actual pot inside it) but I'm gonna look around and see what else i can find, if i find something better I'll let you kno

• twiltye
    9 years ago

Treehugger, I don't think I see any semps in your collection and echeveria are not cold hardy. Maybe a closer picture will help?

• brodyjames_gw
    9 years ago

There is a semp on the windowsill in the second picture.

Nancy

Sponsored
ANF Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Kitchen & Bath Designers Servicing VA