Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rina_

Too many babies...

Just about every leaf 'sprouted' - I don't need so many babies :-)

Rina

Comments (15)

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

...more of them...Rina

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is how they started - just sitting on the desktop for about a month, after that I put them on top of some soil mix.
    Rina

This post was edited by rina_ on Sat, May 24, 14 at 19:00

• jojosplants
    9 years ago

Wow!
    That is a lot of babies! lol...

• KittieKAT
    9 years ago

Lucky YOU, im just starting to get roots on some of my cuttings I'm i usually only lucky to get roots by accident, so I'm super excited! If YOU don't need ALL those babies I'm sure people on here wouldn't mind scooping some up from YOU! :-D

• KittieKAT
    9 years ago

Lucky YOU, im just starting to get roots on some of my cuttings I'm i usually only lucky to get roots by accident, so I'm super excited! If YOU don't need ALL those babies I'm sure people on here wouldn't mind scooping some up from YOU! :-D

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here are few of their older siblings:

Rina

• jojosplants
    9 years ago

Nice! They are growing well!
    I am just starting a few trays of things to root. Saved egg cartons too. ;-) What are they planted in? straight granite?

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

E. Perle von Nurnberg grown from 2 leaves. Needs sun badly! But it is still too cold overnight around here, so just in front of the window.

Rina

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is how above started - 2 leaves...Rina

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

jojo

Thank you.
    They are actualy in gritty mix, I just keep layer of chicken grit on top to keep them anchored & make the tiny pots little heavier. Otherwise, they seem to 'trip over' very easily.
    The larger black pot is small cutting of Ludisia orchid, succ. leave just fell in there so I left it. It got much more water than rest of them & looks like it really likes it. I would not plant them together on purpose - doesn't seem to be right pairing?!
    It is definitely younger than other pots, by at least 6mo, maybe even more. Growing in very fine (too fine) bark. Trying for better photo here.

Rina

This post was edited by rina_ on Sat, May 24, 14 at 19:53

• jojosplants
    9 years ago

That's pretty too!
    I guess if it's happy, then the pairing must be ok. I've never tried to grow one like the orchid.

I love gritty mix! I use pumice or perlite for stuff in the house and granite / pea gravel for the ones outside for weight as you say.. sometimes I top dress with a multi color gravel, to help keep plants dry and mix in place when watering.

How old is E. Perle von Nurnberg, that's amazing all from just 2 leaves!

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Perle is old, started in summer 2012.
    Past winter it lived in 48F room, with some shopligts on. It really wants sun.

Rina

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

How cold is it at night still. I let my A perle girl get to 32F. It does fine.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

When I get so many babies is when I start experimenting with cold hardiness knowledge⦠Poor babies. I know, you can't do that where you live.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I didn't 'dare' to try...it's getting warmer now, but had many nights in forties...so I shall try! Thank you for the tip, mara...I can afford to loose some after all.
    Should have done some research as of hardiness - I just decided that any & all cacti & succulents & other 'indoor' plants need min of 50 to survive!

Rina

This post was edited by rina_ on Sun, May 25, 14 at 18:04